Contribute
Register

USB Sound Cards instead of onboard sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Motherboard OR System make and model names > See Rules!
CPU
i7-860
Graphics
GTS 250
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
M-Audio Transit is what I'm leaning towards as 10.6.2 drivers were just released.
Also has TOSlink out rather than just Line In and Out.
$120 at a music production store in Croydon Melbourne Victoria Australia

Although Griffin iMic has inbuilt drivers and doesn't need to be installed just plugged in. $39.95 Apple store Chadstone Melbourne Victoria Australia.

Anyone had any experience with the above 2 options?

Have everything working except sound on a Vanilla install of 10.6.2.
Check my sig for rig specs.

Waisted 3 days on forums trying to sus out a fix while using Tonys UD6 DSDT and LegacyHDA after LEGACYHDA with no success.

Want my life back and the above seem like a great way to succeed with that mission atleast :(

Ok, have a read here, I just did some step by step instructions and they work, I've done this twice by now and it just works. Different board, same audio solution. I hope you haven't disabled it in the BIOS by accident, as then you wouldn't get any sound at all.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=233

I am currently using a M-Audio Fast Track Pro for audio with my Hackintosh and it worked right out of the box. It will even work without installing the SL driver. If you try it, don' t be fooled by the fact that the speaker icon is gray in the RH corner of the screen, or that it says "The selected device has no output (or input) controls" in the sound section of the System Preferences. All of the output and input is controlled on the Fast Track or from within the software. I also have used the M-Audio Mobile Pre which does require the SL drivers from M-Audio, but works great. Good Luck! :D

Ok, have a read here, I just did some step by step instructions and they work, I've done this twice by now and it just works. Different board, same audio solution. I hope you haven't disabled it in the BIOS by accident, as then you wouldn't get any sound at all.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=233

Thanks for suggestion. Followed your directions to the T.
You were the first to explain the difference between Regular or HDA Legacy Kext.
Opened my Thermaltake Armor MX+ case and checked my F AUDIO. It was HDA no '97.
6 inputs on back. Not including coax and optical out on UD6.
Not sure if that matters.

Short end of it. Didn't work.

Wanna have a look at my DSDT? Maybe you can see someone I can't?
What version APPLEHDA do you have in /SYS/LIB/EXT ?

@horstman

Cheers for info on USB Audio.

Good to see it can be done.

Musicalchairs said:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=233

Thanks for suggestion. Followed your directions to the T.
You were the first to explain the difference between Regular or HDA Legacy Kext.
Opened my Thermaltake Armor MX+ case and checked my F AUDIO. It was HDA no '97.
6 inputs on back. Not including coax and optical out on UD6.
Not sure if that matters.

Short end of it. Didn't work.

Wanna have a look at my DSDT? Maybe you can see someone I can't?
What version APPLEHDA do you have in /SYS/LIB/EXT ?

It's possible there's a bug in the DSDT, but I wouldn't know, I'm not an expert on that, but hopefully someone else can double check that. I got the UD4P and it has the same ALC889A codec so the install process should be the same.

Just one question, are you running windows on the system as well and does the audio work there? There's a BIOS option that can disable the audio. Also, did you upgrade to the latest BIOS as otherwise this won't work.

Just one question, are you running windows on the system as well and does the audio work there? There's a BIOS option that can disable the audio. Also, did you upgrade to the latest BIOS as otherwise this won't work.

Yes.. Win 7x64 Legit.
Audio works fine.

AZALIA Codec set to AUTO in BIOS which is up to date (F7)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=c45454b38e9a6df5aa3c02ce4b9a0e96&showtopic=140941

The above site states
HDAEnabler for Snow for someone doesn't want to edit DSDT with HDEF.
HDAEnabler for Snow.zip

My DSDT has already been edited by tonymacx86.
So would that mean I only need LegacyHDA.kext (4outs2ins HDA headphone) in /EXTRA/EXTENSIONS) ?

Cause I tried that as well and still no luck.

When I go into SYSTEM Profiler it states this under /HARDWARE/AUDIO (BUILT-IN)

Intel High Definition Audio:

Device ID: 0x1458A102
Audio ID: 885
Available Devices:
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection: Internal
Line Out:
Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack
External Microphone:
External Microphone:
Headphone:
S/P-DIF Out:
Connection: Combo
S/P-DIF In:
Connection: Combo

I'm stumped.

This place in Croydon with the M-Audio Transit USB Sound card opens at 10am.
I live about 15 minutes away.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit.html

Very tempted to just go that way and pick 1 up.
Probably better audio than standard REALTEK drivers on board anyway.
Still sh*ts me I couldn't get it working though.

M-Audio here I come. :)

Did you try VoodooHDA? That at least should force your system to id the azalia audio.

I did try VoodooHDA.

From Kext. Majority of them KP'd while repairing permissions.

Just to clarify if I use VoodooHDA.

1. Which one do you suggest?

2. Where is it placed?
/extras/extensions?
Or
/system/library/extensions??

I just don't get it, as 90% of people have managed to get their onboard sound working no problem, but then there's a small group that's just not having any luck at all... :confused:

If you're going to install VoodooHDA, make sure you remove the other audio drivers first, but yeah, I had the same problem, KP straight away...

It really looks like your onboard sound has installed properly, did you select the right device under the speaker settings?

The M-Audio USB solution is most likely slightly better, but it's also £125 more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back