Contribute
Register

USB Sound Cards instead of onboard sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you wouldn't get more than stereo anyhow, as OSX doesn't support multi-channel from the onboard audio controller.

I dunno what's going on, I checked the DSDT and the audio part looks exactly the same as my board, which it should from what I understand.

You got had for $10 though http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

I'm in Australia.
Those are American prices.

I was that desperate for sound I bought it for the non reduced RETAIL price.

I work in retail and our KLIPSCH speaker REP works for a company called POWERMOVE down here in AUSTRALIA. They distribute KLIPSCH SPEAKERS, GRIFFIN APPLE ACCESSORIES etc etc.

I could have got the thing for $15 Australian.
The thing is he is at a conference and won't be back for a week.

I paid for the solution not for the product :)

Thanks for your help mate.

Appreciate all of it

Right, sorry, just made the assumption of $=US currency...

Well, I still don't know why the onboard sound doesn't work, it's either a DSDT bug, but as I said, I had a look and didn't see anything strange, or Gigabyte has somehow changed something so it's not exactly the same as on the UD4/UD5 models, but that doesn't make a lot of sense... :confused:

No dramas.

About Gigabyte changing sumthing.
Well to be honest I haven't looked at the UD5 or UD6.

Do you think there is a way to place the font panel HD within DSDT.
Then use HDAEnabler?

More importantly how do I go about logging the boot process after OS selection.
I would love to post the errors APPLEHDA Vanilla spits out during boot.

The front case connectors just works automagically for me ;)

I dunno how to find the boot log, I'm not really a Mac user :mrgreen:

This is a bit of fun and I'm building a system for a mate that's a Mac user and didn't have the budget for a Mac Pro, but needed something he could add expansion cards to, unlike the iMac.

On the other hand, I'm good with hardware and getting things to work so...

I think errors are logged to /dev/console ?

I thought I read that somewhere, but maybe I'm imagining it. Anyway, some of the errors are normal when AppleHDA is loading - I get a bunch but I have functional sound.

One final thing :wave:

I just had a look at my own board and the pinout for the ALC889A was different from that of the one in the DSDT file along with the layout ID. This could possibly be the case for your board as well and it's worth checking, although it's a bit of a hassle.
You need to download and install the IORegistryExplorer and then read Tony's guides as to how to edit your DSDT. The entry for the sound is under PCI0@0-AppleACPIPCI-HDEF@1B on my system. I had to add another line to the pin configuration though as the entry in the IORegistryExplorer was longer than in the DSDT file. It didn't seem to make any difference in my case, the sound is still working, but seems to be a little bit louder, but that might jut be in my head :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Wow, talk about karma...
Built a second system for a mate using the GA-P55A-UD4P.
Pretty much the same as my board, plus USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps, right?

Well, no...
I had the same SSD in my system to try everything out as I only got the motherboard today. Everything was working except sleep.
Trust me that I'm gobsmacked when it turns out the sound isn't working on this board either. Latest BIOS, edited the DSDT with the right pins, re-ran the kext utility, nothing... :eek: :confused: :think: o_O :crazy:

I don't get it, this should just work...

Back to the drawing board, but I guess there's an issue somewhere, somehow that's on the A boards but not on the older models...

Ok, I know what's wrong, 889 rather than 889A, I really wish they'd stick to only a couple of audio codecs rather than about 10 of them :evil:

Fantastic, still not working... what's going on :?: :?: :?: :cry:

Right, time to write another guide :D
Turns out there's a slightly different way of getting the 889 working which I of course forgot about... doh!
Do I feel like an utter dork now... :oops:

Except it doesn't work... I guess the next step is a clean install...

Okay..

Remember I bought that Griffin iMic for AUDIO for my HACKINTOSH after 4 days of frustrating attempts at getting my on board ALC889A working on my UD6.

Also remember I said just cause I purchased it I wasn't going to give up on getting the on board Realtek 889a working.

Well I didn't give up.

I may have failed to mention that I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 after update x64.

Found this

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/voodoohda-64bit-t3828/

& then used this LEGACYHDA.kext (4in2out HDA) from this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=63104

Installed both of the above via KEXT HELPER B7.
So that placed them both in /SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS
& then backed up APPLEHDA.kext (1.7.9a4, Copyright Apple Inc.) to desktop.
& sent the APPLEHDA.kext from /SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS to the trash.

Repaired permissions & rebuilt cache on both

1. /SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTENSIONS
&
2. /EXTRA/EXTENSIONS

Via Kext Utility

Then opened DISK UTILITY and REPAIRED the SNOW LEOPARD DRIVE.
Final step REBOOT.

Now sound works out of LINE OUT (BACK PANEL GREEN), HEADPHONE (FRONT PANEL GREEN) which is really all i wanted this whole time anyway.

Its interesting it states that DIGITAL OUT is there as well. As my board does have COAX & OPTICAL OUT on back panel of board as part of 889A REALTEK ONBOARD SOUND.
Haven't tested that yet though.

By the way, waking from sleep doesn't effect in built sound either. Tested that as had read on many threads that this was an issue for some.

Check the attachments to see what I now see thanks to VOODOOHDA 64BIT & LEGACYHDA (4in2out) for ALC899A

NOTE: I'm using a DSDT.aml made for my GA-P55A-UD6 from Tony's archive. Only edits I have done to that are SPEED STEP edits for my Core-I7 860 which without Tony wouldn't have been possible either. Tony had already replaced AZAL with HDEF and entered in my PIN CONFIGURATION DETAILS for the 889a.

Who wants a Griffin iMic ? Going cheap :)

Attachments

• SCREEN CAPTURES.zip
    365.9 KB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back