Graphics
GeForce GTX 460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
8400GS freaks out system w/ DVI. Fine on VGA.

I had a perfectly working 10.8.2 install (the Tonymac Customac Budget install) that I made for a friend. I couldn't get the onboard video to work for dual monitors so I bought an NVidia 8400GS 1GB DDR3 card. If I boot with two monitors plugged in, black screen. It will boot with just the DVI plugged in though. However-here's the problem
The keybaord and mouse work in Chimera, but once I'm to the password screen, they stop being recognized. If I boot in safe mode, the keyboard and mouse work, but no my flash drive won't mount. Disk Utility sees it, but says it's unable to mount. I tried the USB rollback in Multibeast. No change. I've tried every various bootflag I can find (USBLegacyFix, etc..) no luck. One thing that's weird is since this is an NVidia card, I expected to need PCIRootUID=1, but it actually will not boot with that flag..
Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out..
Oh I also tried turning off USB Legacy in the UEFI Bios. This made the keyboard unresponsive in Chimera and still didn't work in the OS either.

Edit- It seems it's not that the keyboard and mouse don't work.. it's that there's a 5 minute wait time between when it asks for a pw and when input is accepted.
Also, if I wait it out and login, inserting a USB key will hang the entire system.
Thanks!
-FP

Edit- All this mess seems to only happen if I have DVI in use. If I connect monitor to VGA ONLY, everything is fine, even QE/CI. Plug in DVI+VGA=Black Screen on both. Plug in only DVI= all the symptoms I described.
I really am saying a USB Flash Drive will mount if I am using a VGA monitor and will hang the system if I'm using DVI. I'm guessing that the video driver is borking other things, but I've tried several video fixes..nothing changes. The card is correctly recognized in Profiler. QE/CI works on VGA. QE/CI is borked on DVI. (Trying to watch YouTube on VGA is fine, on DVI is rippled slow updating gibberish). Someone out there knows what I'm missing... PLEASE HELP!

Edit 3- A couple clarifications. The pause at the login screen happens whichever monitor I'm using. And here's a tidbit- When I've waited 5 minutes and come back over to the password screen, there will be like 10 keypressed logged inthe password field.. I clear them out and enter the pw. So while it's not working, it's filling up the keyboard buffer...

Hi Funk Pump

I have the same problem and I go crazy in seeking a solution.
We could help please?

greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back