Contribute
Register

USB - New Raise Port Limit Patch for macOS 10.12 Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I actually patch this? Open the config.plist in text editor and copy in the text in post 1? Is that it? I have a 100 series motherboard.

For me, that's exactly what I did. Search for the section KextsToPatch, paste. done.

erm, what problems, please?

The patch allows the code to overwrite the array bounds allocated for USB port status/etc. As a result, it trashes other data in the class instance (the power limits/properties appear to follow the fixed size array).

If you have some understanding of C/C++ programming, you will understand... If you don't, then you probably don't understand and will just have to listen to advice from those that do.

And what is the long term solution for a 100 series board?

Use a custom SSDT to configure USBInjectAll.kext to inject only the ports you need in order to stay under the 15-port limit.

There is a write-up in the Skylake Starter guide.

How do I actually patch this? Open the config.plist in text editor and copy in the text in post 1? Is that it? I have a 100 series motherboard.
Never want to use the Mac Text edit app. Use Plist edit Pro or other such app for the edit.

Thanks for all the work, and voluntarily supporting this. I am not technically skilled. So far, I've managed to download a working SSDT from this page https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-11-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide.179221/#DetailedUSB (mine is a GA-Z170-UD5 TH).

So, if I understand the instructions correctly, I should be able to:

1. remove the edits to config.plist in Post #1 to this thread;
2. Use a working SSDT, placed in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched; and
3. Place USBInjectAll.kext in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other,

and it should all work out fine?

So far, this is not working, my USB3.0 ports still behave only as USB2.0 (front of casing ports).

Are there any things I need to do to 'install' the kexts?

The patch allows the code to overwrite the array bounds allocated for USB port status/etc. As a result, it trashes other data in the class instance (the power limits/properties appear to follow the fixed size array).

If you have some understanding of C/C++ programming, you will understand... If you don't, then you probably don't understand and will just have to listen to advice from those that do.

Use a custom SSDT to configure USBInjectAll.kext to inject only the ports you need in order to stay under the 15-port limit.

There is a write-up in the Skylake Starter guide.

Thanks for all the work, and voluntarily supporting this. I am not technically skilled. So far, I've managed to download a working SSDT from this page https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-11-0-10-11-3-skylake-starter-guide.179221/#DetailedUSB (mine is a GA-Z170-UD5 TH).

So, if I understand the instructions correctly, I should be able to:

1. remove the edits to config.plist in Post #1 to this thread;
2. Use a working SSDT, placed in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched; and
3. Place USBInjectAll.kext in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other,

and it should all work out fine?

So far, this is not working, my USB3.0 ports still behave only as USB2.0 (front of casing ports).

Are there any things I need to do to 'install' the kexts?

Assuming the "working SSDT" ports match the ports you plan to use and your hardware, then you can use it.

As far as USBInjectAll.kext installation, all kexts you need should be installed to the system volume.

If you have an issue, read USB guide, post #1, "Problem Reporting". Best to reply in the USB guide thread as well, as this topic is related only to the port limit patch.

Hey all & RehabMan.

I am just curious. I have 4 USB 3.0 ports on my system that work just fine. And that's really all I need.
Do you think anything bad will happen if I just leave things as is and don't use the USB 2.0 Ports? and not try to patch them to work?
Randomly enough they show up sometimes and sometimes they don't.

I've never seen an OS completely turn off USB ports like OSX seems to be doing. Do you think this will harm anything? to leave them not working?

Just curious Thanks for all you do.

Hey all & RehabMan.

I am just curious. I have 4 USB 3.0 ports on my system that work just fine. And that's really all I need.
Do you think anything bad will happen if I just leave things as is and don't use the USB 2.0 Ports? and not try to patch them to work?
Randomly enough they show up sometimes and sometimes they don't.

I've never seen an OS completely turn off USB ports like OSX seems to be doing. Do you think this will harm anything? to leave them not working?

Just curious Thanks for all you do.

I have no idea for you as you didn't provide "Problem Reporting" files.

See main USB guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/

Reply there as your question here is off-topic.

Guys, can you help me get my USB 3 ports working. They aren't even being recognized. In El-Capitan i used this post and the usb 3 ports were working. But with the update to sierra i can't get them to work no matter what i do. Can you guys give me some hints?
Everything except USB is working as it should. My config.plist is attached.
Asrock H97M ITX
i5 4430 3.2ghz
8gb ddr3 ram
GTX970

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.6 KB · Views: 262
Guys, can you help me get my USB 3 ports working. They aren't even being recognized. In El-Capitan i used this post and the usb 3 ports were working. But with the update to sierra i can't get them to work no matter what i do. Can you guys give me some hints?
Everything except USB is working as it should. My config.plist is attached.
Asrock H97M ITX
i5 4430 3.2ghz
8gb ddr3 ram
GTX970

Your config.plist does not have the new patch for 10.12. Read post #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back