Contribute
Register

USB (BT, Webcam, Touchscreen) Broken After Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having reread the BrcmPatchRAM github, the only part I see having to do with the firmware hanging is in regards to setting boot flags. The particular flags I've set, though, are specifically for the "wake from sleep" issues, which I'm under the impression applies to me. Do you suggest I remove them, or use different flags?

No idea.
You didn't attach any PR files.

I will change the SMBIOS soon... just sort of dreading the process.

Since the one you're using is completely wrong, it is something you should do now, not later.

So far it seems like removing Darkwake has made an improvement, though.

Yeah, because that flag is for macOS internal use, and should never be set manually.

No idea.
You didn't attach any PR files.

Since the one you're using is completely wrong, it is something you should do now, not later.

Yeah, because that flag is for macOS internal use, and should never be set manually.

Having updated my SMBIOS and removed the Darkwake flag, I am not seeing my USB break after sleep now... but that is because my computer appears to NOT be sleeping AT ALL...

Now when I close my laptop lid, I'll reopen it to find my battery has drained as if the computer were running the entire time normally. Just now from traveling from the coffee shop to my house the battery went down 20%. If I leave it overnight the battery will have completely depleted.

Please see new PR zip file.

Attachments

• debug_2627.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 140
Having updated my SMBIOS and removed the Darkwake flag, I am not seeing my USB break after sleep now... but that is because my computer appears to NOT be sleeping AT ALL...

Now when I close my laptop lid, I'll reopen it to find my battery has drained as if the computer were running the entire time normally. Just now from traveling from the coffee shop to my house the battery went down 20%. If I leave it overnight the battery will have completely depleted.

Please see new PR zip file.

Your patchmatic output cannot be disassembled cleanly with: "iasl -da -dl *.aml"... due to duplicate symbols.

For example, content in SSDT-HWP.aml conflcts with config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true. You should (at least) remove SSDT-HWP.aml, and insure your patchmatic output disassembles without errors (at least as well as ACPI/origin).

Note: You have old files in ACPI/origin. Always delete all files from ACPI/origin before collecting new files with F4.

Test sleep with Apple->Sleep, not the lid. Make sure that is working first... power LED should blink while in sleep (same as Windows in sleep).

Your patchmatic output cannot be disassembled cleanly with: "iasl -da -dl *.aml"... due to duplicate symbols.

For example, content in SSDT-HWP.aml conflcts with config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true. You should (at least) remove SSDT-HWP.aml, and insure your patchmatic output disassembles without errors (at least as well as ACPI/origin).

Note: You have old files in ACPI/origin. Always delete all files from ACPI/origin before collecting new files with F4.

Test sleep with Apple->Sleep, not the lid. Make sure that is working first... power LED should blink while in sleep (same as Windows in sleep).

No, manually entering Sleep does not work. The screen will go black, but the power LED does not turn off or blink - instead it stays on. Battery still drains as if the computer were awake. I also removed the SSDT-HWP.aml as you suggested.

Either by manually sleeping or by closing the lid, the only way to 'wake' the computer up is by pressing the power button. Before trying all this diagnostic stuff I could wake the laptop by pressing any key.

When I run patchmatic this is the error I receive (which is extremely similar to the one you posted a few posts back.):
Code:
Pass 1 parse of [SSDT]
Firmware Error (ACPI): Failure creating [\_PR.CPU0._DSM], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180427/dswload-498)
ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180427/psobject-371)
Could not parse external ACPI tables, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS

I don't know what to do with that...

Attachments

• debug_17869.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 127
No, manually entering Sleep does not work. The screen will go black, but the power LED does not turn off or blink - instead it stays on.

Keep in mind sleep is always delayed by 15-20 seconds, and until all pmset assertions are clear:
Code:
PMSET ASSERTIONS DUMP :-
2018-08-16 16:22:54 -0400
Assertion status system-wide:
   BackgroundTask                 1
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   UserIsActive                   1
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   ExternalMedia                  0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     1
   NetworkClientActive            0
Listed by owning process:
   pid 88(apsd): [0x00000011000b8047] 00:00:51 ApplePushServiceTask named: "com.apple.apsd-login"
   pid 108(hidd): [0x0000000f00098046] 00:00:53 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle.4294968773.3"
   Timeout will fire in 1175 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
   pid 38(UserEventAgent): [0x00000029000b80fd] 00:00:27 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.mds.0"
   Created for PID: 67.
   pid 464(AddressBookSourceSync): [0x0000001300018080] 00:00:49 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Address Book Source Sync"
   Timeout will fire in 1751 secs Action=TimeoutActionTurnOff
   pid 188(mds_stores): [0x00000005000b8007] 00:01:03 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power"
   pid 67(mds): [0x00000004000b8000] 00:01:04 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power"
No kernel assertions.
Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler
END DUMP FOR PMSET ASSERTIONS.

I also removed the SSDT-HWP.aml as you suggested.
When I run patchmatic this is the error I receive (which is extremely similar to the one you posted a few posts back.):
Code:
Pass 1 parse of [SSDT]
Firmware Error (ACPI): Failure creating [\_PR.CPU0._DSM], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180427/dswload-498)
ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180427/psobject-371)
Could not parse external ACPI tables, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS

I don't know what to do with that...

With the patchmatic output you just attached, the duplicate symbols are fixed (because you removed SSDT-HWP.aml).

Keep in mind sleep is always delayed by 15-20 seconds, and until all pmset assertions are clear:
Code:
PMSET ASSERTIONS DUMP :-
2018-08-16 16:22:54 -0400
   BackgroundTask                 1
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     1
   pid 88(apsd): [0x00000011000b8047] 00:00:51 ApplePushServiceTask named: "com.apple.apsd-login"
   pid 108(hidd): [0x0000000f00098046] 00:00:53 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle.4294968773.3"
   Timeout will fire in 1175 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
   pid 38(UserEventAgent): [0x00000029000b80fd] 00:00:27 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.mds.0"
   Created for PID: 67.
   pid 464(AddressBookSourceSync): [0x0000001300018080] 00:00:49 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Address Book Source Sync"
   Timeout will fire in 1751 secs Action=TimeoutActionTurnOff
   pid 188(mds_stores): [0x00000005000b8007] 00:01:03 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.power"
   pid 67(mds): [0x00000004000b8000] 00:01:04 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power"
No kernel assertions.
END DUMP FOR PMSET ASSERTIONS.
With the patchmatic output you just attached, the duplicate symbols are fixed (because you removed SSDT-HWP.aml).

I can pretty conclusively say Sleep isn't working right. The battery drains fast. In Windows I can manually put the computer to sleep and the power light will turn off; in macOS it stays on.

On the bright side it does seem like my original problem with USB has finally been resolved. Now if we can just figure out this Sleep issue...

I can pretty conclusively say Sleep isn't working right. The battery drains fast. In Windows I can manually put the computer to sleep and the power light will turn off; in macOS it stays on.

On the bright side it does seem like my original problem with USB has finally been resolved. Now if we can just figure out this Sleep issue...

Must wait for all assertions to clear (check with 'pmset -g assertions'). Once they are clear, use Apple->Sleep to initiate sleep. Keep in mind 15-20 sec delay.

Must wait for all assertions to clear (check with 'pmset -g assertions'). Once they are clear, use Apple->Sleep to initiate sleep. Keep in mind 15-20 sec delay.

After unplugging my USB hub and exiting out of all applications, this is the pmset -g assertions I get:

Code:
MacBook-Pro:~ beev$ pmset -g assertions
2018-08-17 12:20:47 -0400
   BackgroundTask                 0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
   pid 108(hidd): [0x00000f90000984bd] 13:13:59 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle.4294968268.17"
    Timeout will fire in 1195 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
No kernel assertions.

No matter what I do I can't get rid of the above assertions. However, these have always been here, even when Sleep was working fine previously.

I set Apple-->Sleep and left it while I took a shower. I came back, woke the computer, and the battery had gone down by 5%. Any ideas?

I set Apple-->Sleep and left it while I took a shower. I came back, woke the computer, and the battery had gone down by 5%. Any ideas?

You need to stick around and observe to insure the laptop is sleeping properly.
No breaks/showers/other other errand running.

Also, you didn't attach any PR files. Please read the FAQ, "Problem Reporting".

You need to stick around and observe to insure the laptop is sleeping properly.

Not sure what else needs to be observed. I've sat next to the laptop for more than 20 minutes and watched it go to sleep, waiting for the power LED to switch off. The fans and drive will power down, but when I wake the laptop I see the battery has decreased in real-time. I've also left it overnight in Sleep and the battery will be completely drained. There has been plenty of observation, both in front of and away from the laptop, and its behavior has been consistent over the course of a few days. Is there something I'm missing?

Also, you didn't attach any PR files.

Didn't know if it was necessary, as nothing in kexts or config.plist has been altered since the last post. But here is the newest PR zip anyway--

Attachments

• debug_32625.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 145
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back