Intel HD 630, Nvidia GTX1050
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Performa
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

This is a problem that has plagued me for the better part of a year, ever since I first got my installation working...

The issue is that my USB internal devices (Bluetooth, webcam, touchscreen, and sometimes Wifi) will be disabled randomly upon waking from sleep. It doesn't seem to matter if it's after manually putting the system to sleep, or by closing the lid, or if it's after a short sleep, or a long, deep sleep.

Roughly 25% of the time after waking from sleep, the devices will be disconnected—and the only way to enable them again is through a system restart. Oddly, the system cannot be put into sleep once the devices have become disabled. Here is a screenshot of pmset -g assertions after the bluetooth became disconnected. (And yes, I've disabled hibernation.)

Also, once the USB devices are broken, the system will restart itself after a few minutes due to a kernel panic. Upon rebooting, this is the verbose log that shows; the system will then hang and I'll usually have to hard reset the system until I can eventually get back into macOS.

Once I'm back in macOS, I'll get the message that 'macOS had to restart due to a problem' or whatever. I'm attaching the sleep-wake-failure log.

One other thing of note is that when I check IORegistry after the devices become disabled, I can see that my USB devices are not showing up where they should be. Each USB port will be missing a dropdown list, and all the devices (BT, webcam, etc.) are gone.

UPDATE:
Well, the problem of course just happened again since posting this. I checked my IORegistry though and it looks a bit different. The devices ARE showing up, but they have red lines through them. I also notice that the "Port Status" number is slightly different, whatever that means.

I really, really hope someone out there has a solution for me. The issue is extremely irritating to me, and it's affecting the overall reliance of my laptop for work. I've tried to be as detailed as possible with the diagnosis; let me know if you need more to go on.

Thank you!

Attachments

• sudo kextcache.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 96
  • debug_4288.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 100
  • Sleep-Wake Failure Log.txt
    26.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
No one?

Should I post this in another section?

Hello all,

This is a problem that has plagued me for the better part of a year, ever since I first got my installation working...

The issue is that my USB internal devices (Bluetooth, webcam, touchscreen, and sometimes Wifi) will be disabled randomly upon waking from sleep. It doesn't seem to matter if it's after manually putting the system to sleep, or by closing the lid, or if it's after a short sleep, or a long, deep sleep.

Roughly 25% of the time after waking from sleep, the devices will be disconnected—and the only way to enable them again is through a system restart. Oddly, the system cannot be put into sleep once the devices have become disabled. Here is a screenshot of pmset -g assertions after the bluetooth became disconnected. (And yes, I've disabled hibernation.)

Also, once the USB devices are broken, the system will restart itself after a few minutes due to a kernel panic. Upon rebooting, this is the verbose log that shows; the system will then hang and I'll usually have to hard reset the system until I can eventually get back into macOS.

Once I'm back in macOS, I'll get the message that 'macOS had to restart due to a problem' or whatever. I'm attaching the sleep-wake-failure log.

One other thing of note is that when I check IORegistry after the devices become disabled, I can see that my USB devices are not showing up where they should be. Each USB port will be missing a dropdown list, and all the devices (BT, webcam, etc.) are gone.

UPDATE:
Well, the problem of course just happened again since posting this. I checked my IORegistry though and it looks a bit different. The devices ARE showing up, but they have red lines through them. I also notice that the "Port Status" number is slightly different, whatever that means.

I really, really hope someone out there has a solution for me. The issue is extremely irritating to me, and it's affecting the overall reliance of my laptop for work. I've tried to be as detailed as possible with the diagnosis; let me know if you need more to go on.

Thank you!

Is the USB hub attached to HS02/SS02 external or internal?
If internal, it should be marked UsbConnector=255.

Is the USB hub attached to HS02/SS02 external or internal?
If internal, it should be marked UsbConnector=255.

It's external

Hello all,

UPDATE:

Thank you!
It's external

Comments:
- MacBookPro14,3 is not a good choice (use MacBookPro14,1 or MacBookPro11,1)
- you will need to attach ioreg that represents the failure scenario
- try without Google Chrome running
- test without unnecessary USB devices
- remove darkwake kernel flag
- disassembly of patchmatic output shows duplicate/conflicting ACPI content (iasl -da -dl *.aml)
Code:
Firmware Error (ACPI): Failure creating [\_PR.CPU0._DSM], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180629/dswload-498)
ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180629/psobject-372)
Could not parse external ACPI tables, AE_ALREADY_EXISTS
(there are dups in ACPI/origin, but the one I mention above is not there... that is your bug to fix...)

Also, remove unneeded software such as com.radiosilenceapp.nke.filter, com.XPS.VerbStub (these are listed as recently loaded in your panic reports).

Last edited:
- MacBookPro14,3 is not a good choice (use MacBookPro14,1 or MacBookPro11,1)

Is this due to the TouchBar?

you will need to attach ioreg that represents the failure scenario

Please see attachments. The first one is from when just the BT became disabled. After putting the computer to sleep and waking, more of the USB devices broke, including the webcam, as reflected in the second ioreg.

- remove darkwake kernel flag

Do you mean set it to Darkwake=no ?

disassembly of patchmatic output shows duplicate/conflicting ACPI content (iasl -da -dl *.aml)
(there are dups in ACPI/origin, but the one I mention above is not there... that is your bug to fix...)

Oh boy... I'm afraid I don't understand this. Are you referring to the ACPI section of my config.plist? Or my ACPI folder in Clover? Do you mean there are duplicate files in my ACPI/origin folder? because I don't see them. And I'm not sure I understand what (iasl -da -dl *.aml) is referring to or the code you posted.

Also, remove unneeded software such as com.radiosilenceapp.nke.filter, com.XPS.VerbStub

com.XPS.VerbStub is a file from KNNSpeed's audio fix, as part of his guide for the XPS 15 I'm using. I'd be afraid to delete it.

Attachments

• IORegistry_BT+webcam broken.ioreg
    10.4 MB · Views: 88
  • IORegistry_BT broken.ioreg
    11.1 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Is this due to the TouchBar?

Main reason is 14,3 is dual-GPU with Apple proprietary GMUX where your system is not.

Please see attachments. The first one is from when just the BT became disabled. After putting the computer to sleep and waking, more of the USB devices broke, including the webcam, as reflected in the second ioreg.

Still shows wrong SMBIOS.

You can see that BrcmPatchRAM has hung. Read the BrcmPatchRAM README on github.

Do you mean set it to Darkwake=no ?

My suggestion was very clear. I wrote "remove".

Oh boy... I'm afraid I don't understand this. Are you referring to the ACPI section of my config.plist? Or my ACPI folder in Clover? Do you mean there are duplicate files in my ACPI/origin folder? because I don't see them. And I'm not sure I understand what (iasl -da -dl *.aml) is referring to or the code you posted.

If you disassemble your patchmatic output, you will see you have duplicate symbols that didn't exist in a disassembly of ACPI/origin.

You can see that BrcmPatchRAM has hung. Read the BrcmPatchRAM README on github.

Having reread the BrcmPatchRAM github, the only part I see having to do with the firmware hanging is in regards to setting boot flags. The particular flags I've set, though, are specifically for the "wake from sleep" issues, which I'm under the impression applies to me. Do you suggest I remove them, or use different flags?

I will change the SMBIOS soon... just sort of dreading the process. So far it seems like removing Darkwake has made an improvement, though. I'll test it out a couple more days to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back