Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> USB Audio Dropouts (coreaudiod Audio IO Overload)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B560M AORUS ELITE
CPU
i3-10100F
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,
I am having problems with a USB headphone and USB audio interface. In both cases I have audio dropouts every some minutes and they never stop.

Looking at the logs I found these (I was listening some video on youtube)

default 09:20:22.447364-0300 coreaudiod Audio IO Overload inputs: '<private>' outputs: '<private>' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
default 09:20:22.447448-0300 coreaudiod CAReportingClient.mm:508 message {
HostApplicationDisplayID = "com.brave.Browser.helper";
cause = PageFaultsOffIOThread;
deadline = 4369759;
"input_device_source_list" = "";
"input_device_transport_list" = "";
"input_device_uid_list" = "";
"io_buffer_size" = 1024;
"io_cycle" = 1;
"io_page_faults" = 0;
"is_prewarming" = 0;
"is_recovering" = 0;
"issue_type" = overload;
lateness = "-1017";
"other_page_faults" = 5;
"output_device_source_list" = Unknown;
"output_device_transport_list" = USB;
"output_device_uid_list" = "AppleUSBAudioEngine:Unknown Manufacturer:Microsoft LifeChat LX0 :000:1";
"sample_rate" = 48000;
}: (null)

default 09:21:04.706945-0300 coreaudiod Audio IO Overload inputs: '<private>' outputs: '<private>' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no
default 09:21:04.707030-0300 coreaudiod CAReportingClient.mm:508 message {
HostApplicationDisplayID = "com.brave.Browser.helper";
cause = PageFaultsOffIOThread;
deadline = 317943;
"input_device_source_list" = "";
"input_device_transport_list" = "";
"input_device_uid_list" = "";
"io_buffer_size" = 1024;
"io_cycle" = 1;
"io_page_faults" = 0;
"is_prewarming" = 0;
"is_recovering" = 0;
"issue_type" = overload;
lateness = "-1018";
"other_page_faults" = 5;
"output_device_source_list" = Unknown;
"output_device_transport_list" = USB;
"output_device_uid_list" = "AppleUSBAudioEngine:Unknown Manufacturer:Microsoft LifeChat LX0 :000:1";
"sample_rate" = 48000;
}: (null)

I am Big Sur 11.6 with OpenCore 0.7.6. I am attaching my EFI folder in case someone wanna check my configuration. Even tho I saw some real mac users having this problem with other versions of Big Sur.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    14.7 MB · Views: 72
The issues you are facing are probably USB related rather than Audio. I say this after looking in your USBPorts.kext, copy of the info.plist from the kext can be seen below:

Screenshot 2022-01-03 at 23.26.43.png USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist

All 10 ports activated in your setup are configured as USB3 (UsbConnector=3).

Your H510M motherboard has the following USB ports:
  • 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
  • 6 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
This means your motherboard supports 14 USB ports in total, 8 x USB3, 4 x USB2 and 2 x Internal header ports.

Your USBPorts.kext contains no USB2 ports (max of 4) or Internal ports (max of 2).

If you are using a Broadcom Wifi/BT card at least one of the Internal ports will need to be active.

I would recommend reviewing and reconfiguring your USBPorts.kext, when these USB errors have been fixed your Audio issues may also disappear.

The issues you are facing are probably USB related rather than Audio. I say this after looking in your USBPorts.kext, copy of the info.plist from the kext can be seen below:

View attachment 538393 USBPorts.kext/Contents/info.plist

All 10 ports activated in your setup are configured as USB3 (UsbConnector=3).

Your H510M motherboard has the following USB ports:
  • 4 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
  • 6 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
This means your motherboard supports 14 USB ports in total, 8 x USB3, 4 x USB2 and 2 x Internal header ports.

Your USBPorts.kext contains no USB2 ports (max of 4) or Internal ports (max of 2).

If you are using a Broadcom Wifi/BT card at least one of the Internal ports will need to be active.

I would recommend reviewing and reconfiguring your USBPorts.kext, when these USB errors have been fixed your Audio issues may also disappear.

Hi Edhawk, thank you for the answer.

I used 2 methods to discovers my usb port, USBMap.command and Hackintool .. with both I couldn't find a way discover USB 2.0 ports even If i plugged a usb memory on all external usb ports.. So If i plugged on a USB 2.0/1.1 port i got a flag on HS port.. Maybe my problem is that I am using macos 11.6 and I read that sometimes screw up the USB detections.. I am not sure if i can do anything from Windows. I will check it out.

You need to use a version of macOS earlier than Big Sur 11.3 in order to create your custom USBPorts.kext.

You won’t be able to create the kext in Windows, it needs to be created in macOS.

You need to use a version of macOS earlier than Big Sur 11.3 in order to create your custom USBPorts.kext.

You won’t be able to create the kext in Windows, it needs to be created in macOS.

I was searching on internet and I found a tool to build a kext from Windows (https://github.com/USBToolBox/tool) and after create the kext you should add this other kext too (https://github.com/USBToolBox/kext).

The detection was pretty similar. I am attaching the ports the tool detected and how IORegistryExplorer saw them every time i plugged a usb memory.

I am trying this new detection and i am listening music since 7 minutes, all good so far but of course I have to test it more.

Attachments

• USB-Port-Detections.png
    USB-Port-Detections.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 92
  • USB-Controllers-On-Windows.png
    USB-Controllers-On-Windows.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 96
  • USB-Ports-IORegistryExplorer.jpg
    USB-Ports-IORegistryExplorer.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 67
Good to know about the alternative method for USB port detection.

I hope the new USB configuration permanently fixes the audio issues.

Good to know about the alternative method for USB port detection.

I hope the new USB configuration permanently fixes the audio issues.

Sadly the audio dropouts keeps coming, maybe is some compatibility problem of my USB controller (Tiger Lake-H 3.2 Gen 2x1 xHCI Host Controller). Something weird is on Hackintool I see AppleUSBEHCIPCI without a device name and of course that controller didn't recognize any port, so it's not on the kext. The XHCI controller recognized the ports well but one was like internal connector. I am not using any Broadcom wifi/bluetooth adapter. Do i have to setup both internal USB 2.0 ports as internal, using type 255 instead of 0 ?

Yes for the Internal headers being set with type 255.

Do not set them as USB2 (0) as that will cause them to malfunction.

Yes for the Internal headers being set with type 255.

Do not set them as USB2 (0) as that will cause them to malfunction.

The problem stills, even after i changed the 2 internal USB ports to 255. One thing i didn't say before is that the problem shows up more when the graphic card is working more, for example on a youtube or some 3d gaming like secondlife for example.. some days ago I've noticed that my video card even it's PCIe 3.0 compatible, the motherboard recognized at 2.0 tops.. I tested with GPU-Z on Windows and at the beginning shows connected at 1.1 but after some stress test the connection goes to 2.0.. And on Big Sur the graphic card link speed is 2.5 GT /s

Do you think that can cause my audio drop outs problems?
I am already lost on how to solve it.

Last edited:
The Graphics card issue may be Bios related. Have you accidentally set the PCIe slot to a maximum of PCIe 2.0?

The GTX 760 is as you say a PCIe 3.0 card, so it shouldn't revert to 2.0 unless told to by the system bios. As this happens in Windows too, it is more likely to be a Bios Setting or a fault with the GTX 760 than an issue in macOS.

Any misconfigured device/component can effect others, how and why is not clear but it is not an unheard of issue.

You may need to set your Bios to defaults and reconfigure the settings so macOS can run on the system, use these bios settings:
  1. Virtualization : Enabled
  2. VT-d : Disabled
  3. XHCI Hand-Off : Enabled
  4. Legacy USB Support: Auto/Enabled
  5. IO SerialPort : Disabled
  6. Network Stack : Disabled
  7. XMP Profile : Auto / Profile 1/Enabled
  8. UEFI Booting set to Enabled and set Priority over Legacy
  9. Secure Boot : Disabled
  10. Fast Boot : Disabled
  11. OS Type: Other OS
  12. Wake on LAN : Disabled
Dedicated Graphics + Integrated graphics card:
  1. Integrated Graphics : Enabled
  2. Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1
  3. Initial Display Output : PCIe 1 Slot
  4. DVMT Pre-Allocated : 128M or higher
Your system may not have all these settings, but change those that are present to the options shown above. Some may be hidden within other settings, so make sure you check each sub-menu, don't assume - check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back