USB-attached devices only work on specific ports even though they're detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z590i UNIFY
CPU
Graphics
5600XT
I've gone through the task of getting 11.2.3 installed on my configuration, building a USB map using Hackintool, and then using the resulting kext (removing USBInjectAll, etc.) to then update to 11.5.1. I can boot into the OS fine however I'm finding that devices connected to certain USB ports do not work even though they're detected according to Hackintool.

For example, I connect my keyboard to one port that was flagged as USB 3, 480 Mbps, they keyboard works fine. If I plug it into one of the ports that was detected as USB3, 5 Gbps, it does not.

How I discovered this is my wired keyboard is plugged into my monitor, which is plugged into the USB 3, 5Gbps port (SS08). That port shows 2-Port USB 3.1 Hub in Hackintool while the monitor is plugged into it. If I move the monitor's USB cable over to the port that was flagged as USB 3, 480 (HS10), the hub is detected and the keyboard works (and the hub is called 3-Port USB 2.1 Hub)

My board is an MSI Z590i Unify. I'm using OpenCore 0.7.1, Big Sur 11.5.1.

I'm struggling to understand the nuance here that is preventing some ports from functioning. In my System Information under USB, it shows USB 3.1 Bus and USB32Bus (where all the devices are currently showing) no matter how I plug things into it. Any ideas on what I've done incorrectly?

Attachments

• MSI_Z590i_UNIFY_USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 29
I've gone through the task of getting 11.2.3 installed on my configuration, building a USB map using Hackintool, and then using the resulting kext (removing USBInjectAll, etc.) to then update to 11.5.1. I can boot into the OS fine however I'm finding that devices connected to certain USB ports do not work even though they're detected according to Hackintool.

For example, I connect my keyboard to one port that was flagged as USB 3, 480 Mbps, they keyboard works fine. If I plug it into one of the ports that was detected as USB3, 5 Gbps, it does not.

How I discovered this is my wired keyboard is plugged into my monitor, which is plugged into the USB 3, 5Gbps port (SS08). That port shows 2-Port USB 3.1 Hub in Hackintool while the monitor is plugged into it. If I move the monitor's USB cable over to the port that was flagged as USB 3, 480 (HS10), the hub is detected and the keyboard works (and the hub is called 3-Port USB 2.1 Hub)

My board is an MSI Z590i Unify. I'm using OpenCore 0.7.1, Big Sur 11.5.1.

I'm struggling to understand the nuance here that is preventing some ports from functioning. In my System Information under USB, it shows USB 3.1 Bus and USB32Bus (where all the devices are currently showing) no matter how I plug things into it. Any ideas on what I've done incorrectly?

make sure to be in the 15 port limits

Thanks for the call-out on that. I accidentally attached an attempt to fix this from earlier where I forwarded through too many ports (it actually prevents boot-up; I forgot I had my work directory and boot drive EFI out of sync).

Attached is the one I'm running right now exhibiting the problem (.original.kext) where I have only 13 items in the list and my latest attempt at fixing this where I only have 14. With the latest attempt, it boots but I cannot use my keyboard through a hub on any port (so, I made the problem worse). (I made these changes in 11.5.1; I'm going to try going back to a 11.2.3 installation with USBInjectAll to see if I get a different result from these two.)

The one other difference in these two `config.plist` is that my current running version has `acpi-wake-type` set in DeviceProperties for the USB hub (so that wake on keyboard will work...which presently it does not even with that change).

Between the two attached, I also see a big block for HS04, I have one for each of the onboard controllers. I think this is what drove creating that "merge nub" configuration item in the latest attempt (i.e., not the original somewhat working version).

Attachments

1.4 KB · Views: 26
    1.4 KB · Views: 26
  • MSI_Z590i_UNIFY_USBPorts.original.kext.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 23
Thanks for the call-out on that. I accidentally attached an attempt to fix this from earlier where I forwarded through too many ports (it actually prevents boot-up; I forgot I had my work directory and boot drive EFI out of sync).

Attached is the one I'm running right now exhibiting the problem (.original.kext) where I have only 13 items in the list and my latest attempt at fixing this where I only have 14. With the latest attempt, it boots but I cannot use my keyboard through a hub on any port (so, I made the problem worse). (I made these changes in 11.5.1; I'm going to try going back to a 11.2.3 installation with USBInjectAll to see if I get a different result from these two.)

The one other difference in these two `config.plist` is that my current running version has `acpi-wake-type` set in DeviceProperties for the USB hub (so that wake on keyboard will work...which presently it does not even with that change).

Between the two attached, I also see a big block for HS04, I have one for each of the onboard controllers. I think this is what drove creating that "merge nub" configuration item in the latest attempt (i.e., not the original somewhat working version).
best to upload your complete EFI

I managed to get the USB ports working for one of the controllers by going back to 11.2.3 with USBInjectAll, Xhci limit, etc., then re-enumerating with 2.0 and 3.x devices I could lay hands on. Previously the other controller had its own HSO4 listed which was interesting; I don't recall how I managed to fiddle with that one which I assumed up until this exercise was accessible by one of the 4 Thunderbolt ports on the back (I haven't tried configuring that controller yet).

Attached is where I'm at in my effort (debug enabled) if anyone is interested. I still don't have the acpi-wake-type working for the one controller I've mapped, but I'll save that for a different thread. My root cause of this thread has been resolved I think because both personalities of a given port were not configured in the map, so when something slower/faster was plugged into one port vs. another it would or wouldn't work.

Attachments

• EFI for sharing.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back