Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
Running Mojave 10.14.6, and using the -xcpm boot arg, and having an IcyDock USB 3.1 Gen2 Type C hub plugged into the Gen2 type C port on the Z370 mobo, with 2 USB Type A sticks and one SSD using type C cable plugged into it (as a test), the system crashes immediately after booting into Mojave (Finder?) so not possible to shut down or effectively force quit apps as it is slow and doesn't help. I do not have a custom DSDT yet. I have all the relevant port limit patches for Mojave and Catalina.

Previously the both Gen2 ports stopped working properly and I reflashed the BIOS and it improved things a lot. I have tried fewer devices and one or two at at time in the Gen2 type A and C slots and it is more stable. Everything shows ok however in Clover and is detected ok if I boot up into Linux. It is 100% stable if I plug in multiple drives into the 3.1 Gen1 ports. Even when it is not crashing, when using one SSD plugged into the Gen2 port, and it is detected, it generally slows the whole machine down and half the time there is a connection issue whereby OS X cannot read to the file system of the drive towards the end of the back up. It used to work normally a year ago but running the system with those EFI back ups doesn't help.

Should I be using the genericusbxhci.kext? Or doing something else? TIA.

Edit: I have installed the kext and it seems superficially to be working as smoothly as a baby's bottom.

Last edited:
Update: Didn't really fix the problem. Is there another solution?

Mac OS can detect everything, but it doesn't seem to like booting from my carbon copy cloner Samsung T5 back up drive when plugged into either of the Gen2 ports, either directly or via the hub. If I plug it directly into the Type C port the back up OS boots up really slowly and runs almost impossibly slowly. If I plug it into the USB Type C hub, it doesn't ever finish booting up. Having it connected via Gen2 makes the whole computer unstable esp. when shutting down even if I have booted up from my normal internal NVMe drive. Not as bad as before though. I am able to run back ups to the T5 drive via Gen2 however with no noticeable issues. I did test booting up from an external linux USB and it worked fine in all slots including when connected via the Type C hub. I tried the same thing with a Catalina USB and it would not boot up from either of the Gen2 ports (either directly or via the hub) - it looks like it's booting up but fails right at the end with a circle with a cross through it - but boots up fine from the blue USB 3.0 ports. So it seems that kext improved things slightly.

Last edited:
I don't know if I can help, but I have a USB C 3.1 Gen 2 port on the back on my PC and one in front of MB for my case front panel. I only have 1 Samsung DUO PLUS - USB C 3.1 flash drive and it boots unibeast from the rear port just fine.

After installing Mojave 10.14.6 if I plug in new ports, or swap any around, then I have issues. Will it work if you have it all ready when it boots without adding anything?

Also, I have so many USB ports (and I use most of them) and there seems to be a 15-port limit. Right now, I'm in the process of manually assigning ports and each port can be HS USB 2.0, or SS USB 3.0. I am still looking for USB 3.1 assignments, but when I plug in the USB 3.1 to map out what ports are what on the motherboard, so I can remove all the excess ports (over 20 USB ports in total as each USB 3 port counts as both USB 2 and USB 3.)

USB C 3.1 lights up as SS01 and SS02 in hackintool, i.e. USB 3.0. Not sure if 3.1 gets a special designation or still counts as USB 3. I have a slow USB C 3.1 with only 200 MB/S, so maybe that is why it registers as 3.0?

I don't know yet, as I'm still researching into this.

I ordered a high-speed USB C drive, so hopefully it arrives before x-mass.

Oops, I forgot to inquire about your USB 3.1 hub? I have had so many hub issues over the years that I don't bother with them anymore. They seem to always cause issues for me.

If I need more USB ports, I always get USB PCIe cards to install inside my PC. Make sure it is one port per pcie lane. I.e. an 8 slot cards should be PCIe x4. Or 2 usb ports per slot (i.e. per 1 PCIe Lane).

I have 3 USB 3.0 ports on the back, 2 DAC USB ports, 1 USB 3.1 type A port and 1 USB 3.1 type C port on the rear, and 2 x USB 2.0 and 2 x USB 3.0 ports on the front I/O, so a total of 11. I was using a 4 port USB hub on the rear. I wasn't having issues with this set up previously and had my Samsung T5 connected to the type C port on the rear. It has however been playing up the last 6 months. I wonder if it is Clover related. I haven't implemented an DSDT file for USB. I am running Mojave.

Whilst the T5 is detected most of the time on the 3.1 ports, it doesn't seem to work for back ups half the time with CCC so I ran Black Magic Speed Test on the different ports and whilst all the 3.0 ports are performing normally something weird is going on with just the 3.1 ports, namely, it shows a normal write speed up to a poin, e.g. 500MB/s but then it freezes. A couple of times it managed to get to the read speed test, where it showed 529 one time and 0.5 another time. It seems to crash Finder a lot too having anything connected via 3.1, stopping the machine shutting down or sometimes if I eject the drive it causes a reset.

I ran a few tests in linux and whilst it seems to only recognise the 3.1 ports as 3.0, it seems to be working normally for read and write (drag and drop test and also using hdparm).

Good point about the hub. I could dispense with the 3.0 hub and just put a PCIe card in there. I was thinking of buying a more expensive 3.1 PCIe card but if it's going to be problematic then it's not worth the both and I may as well stick to 3.0. I primarily bought the type C hub to trouble shoot the type C port on the hackintosh but it might come in handy for another computer. My main motivation was to get the mobo fixed under the last few days of remaining warranty if it was a mobo issue hence all the troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back