NVIDIA Geforce GTX 650Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hello all,

I have been using an external hard drive with 3.0 capabilities for a while but only at 2.0 speeds. My 3.0 ports do not seem to be working. I installed the 3.0 driver in multibeast as well as attempting some other ones I found that were for a real mac. I can plug an ilok into the 3.0 ports and pro tools will let me run it and such, so it is getting power and working in some ways....

However, when I plug the hard drive into the 3.0 port it never shows up in OSX. Again, the drive works when plugged into 2.0 ports using the 3.0 cable (which is obviously backwards-compatible with 2.0), but the same cable does not work for 3.0 ports.

I have tried using the one on top of my case and the one on the back of the mobo. I am still a newish self-taught computer builder, so try to be patient with me. I would love for some people to try and devote some time here and there to keep this thread ongoing until fixed. I appreciate any help. If you need more info than what is in my profile/signature, let me know!

Rhals,

I have been trying to find a solution to this since February.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/126464-drive-failure-usb-3-0-problem.html

I have verified with others that the problems does exist on other systems (especially those using the same motherboard as me). Unfortunately nobody really seems that bothered by it(most people have said they don't even use USB3.0) so I don't see us finding a solution or help anytime soon:( The last time I had USB3.0 speeds was with Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

Spang1974

I don't understand this at all. In my opinion the real value of a hackintosh is the fact that you can do mac media operations and such on cheaper hardware. I am a Pro Tools guy, and while Pro Tools is available on windows, it sucks. I need faster speed drives with as much audio work as I do and file transferring as I do. 2.0 just isn't fast enough for me. Firewire 800 is cool and all but I still could use a way faster transfer speed. Why does no one care about high speed drives?

1. Which kext are you using?
2. What are your BIOS settings re: XHCI and ECHI settings?
3. Have you tried the Etron EJ168 kext?

Sounds like your problem might be DSDT related.
That said, even with PCs, sometimes the USB3.0 controller on your dockings station/external harddrive just will NOT be compatible with the chipset on the motherboard. Maybe try a different device/docking station?

good luck, ninetto

p.s. for me, on an X79 board the USB 3 quirkiness was dsdt related, solution here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hardware-...sb-3-0-odd-but-simple-trick-working-fine.html

That said, even with PCs, sometimes the USB3.0 controller on your dockings station/external harddrive just will NOT be compatible with the chipset on the motherboard. Maybe try a different device/docking station?

good luck, ninetto

p.s. for me, on an X79 board the USB 3 quirkiness was dsdt related, solution here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hardware-...sb-3-0-odd-but-simple-trick-working-fine.html

Ninetto,

I have tried a handful of the usual kexts, different bios settings, and have yet to try the Etron EJ168 kext. It may be DSDT issue, however everybody recommends installing to my particular board (GA-B75M-D3H) without a DSDT, and frankly I have yet to take on using one. I used to have proper write speeds in 10.8.5, but that went with Mavericks.

Spang1974

good luck, ninetto

1. I am using whatever kext came with the latest multibeast.
2. I can't find any way in my bios (F8) to change EHCI AND XHCI settings... I went hunting a couple days back and found nothing.
3. I haven't tried that kext.... where might I find it?

As for devices, I have been using several different drives to try it. They are different brands. As for the DSDT I have been using the one that is on the downloads page that fits my mobo and bios version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back