Contribute
Register

USB 3.0 drivers for OSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
macmacadamia said:
Hi all,

don't know if this has posted here before or if it is of interest to someone:
The cheap Sharkoon USB 3.0 controller just got recognized in OSX using the modified kext. As for now it works with USB 2.0 devices nicely. As soon as my ordered USB 3.0 external HDD will arrive, I'll keep you updated.

Finally I'd like to thank the guy who posted the modified driver. :clap:

Bye for now,
macmacadamia

*** Update ***

Now my external HDD has arrived. I checked the transfer rates (USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) with xbench (see attached screenshots). The claimed transfer rates are not reached by far. Both, the Sharkoon USB 3.0 controller card as well as the external HDD claim "up to" 5 Gb/s in their specs. :lol:

But at least I got an improvement over my USB 2.0 setup...

Hope I could help.

Bye,
macmacadamia

Attachments

• Transcend USB 2.0.tiff
    73.5 KB · Views: 359
  • Transcend USB 3.0.tiff
    76.2 KB · Views: 384
Got USB3.0 Seagate GoFlex 1.5TB. Works on TimeMachine and I've got considerably faster transfer rate. Bxbench_usb3.tiff

I also noticed that when this drive is attached, sleep/wake-up is not working. :( Must be the power management of the drive.

Attachments

• xbench_usb3.tiff
    87.9 KB · Views: 328
After some iritating posts about how to install, mixt up with the original LaCie driver I realized that the LaCie driver isn`t needed at all.
Anyway with the modified .kext file and the KextBeast it was finally a success to install the driver.
It works like charm. As earlier mentionend I am also using an AKE USB 3.0 34mm Expresscard for my MacBook Pro 15". As a speciality I would like to mention that I have attached a USB 3 convertor cable which I use to connect the new AKE card with an INTERNAL Samsung 1.5TB drive. For those of you who are also intending to make larger backups on internal Harddrives this is a really cheap solution.
Here are the links to the shop in China - Worldwide free shipping! - where I got the stuff from:

Convertor Cable USB 3.0 Esata (23$):
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37647

AKE USB 3.0 Expresscard (18$):
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.48005

BTW: the AKE card fits perfectly into an unibody MBP, no parts are outside the body!

USB3 driver installed from MultiBeast 3.0.3 on a P55-USB3 mb and 10.6.5.

Using a 2,5" SATA disk into a cheap AKASA case. These are the results of the AJA System Test (disk read/write test with 128mb file):

- USB disk into USB2 port: 30-35 MB/s
- USB disk into USB3 port: 72-78 MB/s
- SATA disk: 98-102 MB/s.

Note: USB disk plugged directly into the USB3 port, if plugged by an extension cable it works as USB2.

I've tried everything mentioned in this topic, but i can't get it to work.
I'm using an SWEEX USB3 PCI-Express card (featuring the well know NEC/Renesas chip).
I do get USB2-devices working on it, only my WD My Book USB3 doesn't work. The drive does work when i connect it to an different USB2-port..
Running 10.6.6, tried MultiBeast 3.0.3, the LaCie-drivers, manual-patched-lacie-drivers..
nothing :(

Very strange results:
USB 2.0:
bildschirmfoto20110111ue.png

USb3.0 (Multibeast 3.0.3):
bildschirmfoto20110111u.png

What's the problem?

chrismo said:
I cant seem to find where that super speed port is though... tested my keyboard in all the different USB ports, and never had it listed in the USB Super-speed port. Anyone else try that. Arent those USB3 ports the Blue ones?

Yes, they're the blue ones, but as there's both a USB 2.0 and a USB 3.0 controller inside the NEC/Renesas chips, it might not show up as connected to a Super Speed port in OSX, not sure tbh.

tested my keyboard in all the different USB ports
I somehow don't think you will see a difference with a keyboard :) You probably need sustained data transfer, such as an external USB disk (AND a disk in a USB 3 enclosure at that) to notice the difference.
BUT, in About This Mac -> More info -> USB you will see at the bottom USB Super-Speed Bus
I reckon the only time I'd appreciate USB3 is during a backup, even there I use eSATA which is plenty fast enough. Otherwise - ho-hum :)

georgeba said:
...I reckon the only time I'd appreciate USB3 is during a backup, even there I use eSATA which is plenty fast enough. Otherwise - ho-hum :)
I agree. I've got FW400 & eSATA on the MB, and I added a FW800/400 PCIe card. I'm slowly replacing all my external drives with FW & eSATA cases. USB3 will only play in my next generation system, at least, a couple of years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back