Contribute
Register

Upgrading from 10.9 to 10.10? Read This Guide!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
"Power" Hack Pro (Custom System)
CPU
i7-4770k 3.5GHz Socket 1150
Graphics
GTX 780, GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi Everybody,
This is my guide to upgrading from 10.9 to 10.10, There is a few things to note before installing.
1. You Should back up your drive, Just in case anything goes wrong.
2. Make sure you update your boot loader before upgrading, it will save you some hassle.
3. Remember, This is the first public release of Yosemite, There's going to be bugs you run into.
Now, Onto the guide.

1. Backup Everything to another drive in case something goes wrong.
2. Download UniBeast and MultiBeast
3. Run UniBeast and follow the instructions.
4. Once the UniBeast is done move MultiBeast folder to the flash drive
5. shut down your hackintosh and insert the usb and boot from it (NOTE, Make sure to unplug any unnecessary drives, And, if your using more than 2 sticks of memory, I recommend you remove them, as more than 2 can cause freezing)
6.Now boot from your usb drive, If you need boot-flags use them.
7.Use whatever language you prefer the press the arrow
8.Press continue twice and then agree
9. Choose the drive to install to.
9.5. I would recommend going to disk utility to make sure disk permissions are good
10.10. Now wait for the install to finish, I would like to note that when it says 18 minutes, It took me 56
11. Now restart and boot into the disk you just installed Yosemite onto, Again entering any required boot-flags
12. If you boot successfully(There can be mach_kernel issues and if your using mac_pro1.5 you can have kernel panics) You should be greeted with a finishing screen then sign in and so forth, Enter your info and continue)
13.Once that is done you will see a setting up your mac screen, and then it will send you into Yosemite.
14.CONGRATS, Your in Yosemite!... But were not done yet
15.Go to MultiBeast on your USB drive
16.If you have a pre-configured profile you can load that, or you can enter your drivers manually.
17.Once you've loaded that info, Press install
18.Once all that is installed, You will need to reboot
19.Now, If you installed everything via MultiBeast correctly, you should be able to boot from your hard drive
20.Now boot from your hard drive and into your Yosemite partition
21. And now you should be greeted with Yosemite.

And there we have it, The upgrade from 10.9 to 10.10, I hope everything works for you, if so, my job is done :)
Thank you so much for reading and following my guide.
-UWillParish

so this is a clean install then? everything gets wiped?

and NVRam? will o have to copy symbios then and nvram to keep things working on update?

I'm getting stuck at the loading screen with the apple logo that has the progress bar below it. This is after installing Yosemite and choosing the drive with Yosemite in it. I'm not sure what to do. I left it alone for an hour and the progress bar was stuck at ~50%.

Edit: Got Yosemite to start up. I don't know if the flag -v did it or my computer just decided to cooperate after a billion reboots.

Edit 2: Installed my multbeast configurations and tried to boot up without using my usb as a bootloader. I got stuck again at the same loading screen. I'm currently trying to boot up using the -v flag and see if that helps.

im just getting ablack screen when trying to boot into the usb drive? any clue whats going wrong?

I strongly recommend updating Chimera to version 4.0 (using Multibeast) before anything else. Otherwise, you have to boot Chimera from the USB drive (created by UniBeast) and select your primary disk when the Yosemite installation restarts (and again when it's done).

Hi, great guide,

You mentioned under no. 12 that "There can be mach_kernel issues". Well I am getting "Cant find /mach_kernel" when booting. Can anybody give me some idea how to resolve this?

Thanks
John

Hi, great guide,

You mentioned under no. 12 that "There can be mach_kernel issues". Well I am getting "Cant find /mach_kernel" when booting. Can anybody give me some idea how to resolve this?

Thanks
John

I'm getting the same error. I'm going to try the earlier recommendation and upgrade Chimera first. I'll let you know if it helps.

The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. Oh well, I'm doing it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back