Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Hero X Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 590
Hi Everyone:

I just upgraded my system from a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H / I7-3770k to a Gigabyte Z97-UD5H / I7-4970k as a relative wanted to purchase my old set up. Everything else is the same, ram, case, 750w power supply, and hard drives. I get to the Chimera screen and then I end up in a boot loop. When I select to boot into my os/x drive, it temporarily shows the grey apple screen, then restarts the computer. When I use my boot loader USB, I get a hang up on the grey screen.

Any advice on what to do?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone:

I just upgraded my system from a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H / I7-3770k to a Gigabyte Z97-UD5H / I7-4970k as a relative wanted to purchase my old set up. Everything else is the same, ram, case, 750w power supply, and hard drives. I get to the Chimera screen and then I end up in a boot loop. When I select to boot into my os/x drive, it temporarily shows the grey apple screen, then restarts the computer. When I use my boot loader USB, I get a hang up on the grey screen.

Any advice on what to do?

Thanks!
I upgraded from the same system, to almost the same as you. And found out that I couldn't even boot cause it would give me power management errors. Ended up installing it on a mac laptop and moving the SSD to my desktop and installing kexts and boot flags from there. Try that if possible. Ask a friend to lend you a hand.

I upgraded from the same system, to almost the same as you. And found out that I couldn't even boot cause it would give me power management errors. Ended up installing it on a mac laptop and moving the SSD to my desktop and installing kexts and boot flags from there. Try that if possible. Ask a friend to lend you a hand.

Hi Elgydium:

I still have the old system that is stable. Would you suggest I just run multibeast for the new system on this hard drive to get all of the correct kexts or are you thinking the hard drive should be re-formmated and just run time machine? I don't know much about manually loading kexts and boot loaders, Ive just had such an easy time using multibeast to get everything stable on the old system. Thanks for replying!

[Update] Upgraded from Z77 to Z97, Now Have Boot Loop

Just to let everyone know... I had to re-install completely, so the updgrade from Z77 to Z97 is not seamless. There are kexts in the Z77 set up that seem to create an issue with the Z97 set up. Even after re-installing, I had a great deal more trouble with Z97 than Z77. 1 big issue was that I figured out is that I had to turn off the internal graphics in bios with my graphics card. I do have a problem that with the new set up, I'm now only able to see 2 monitors instead of 3, which is a bummer, but everything else is stable.

But for anyone curious as to what I did to get it working, here's the final Multibeast set up and my hardware Z97x-UD5h / 4970k set up:

Screen Shot 2014-12-01 at 9.32.06 PM.png

Have you done fresh install ? Is that after fresh install or you just changed MB and trying to boot ssd that has osx on it?

Have you done fresh install ? Is that after fresh install or you just changed MB and trying to boot ssd that has osx on it?

Hey George... this was after a fresh install. Even after the fresh install, I still had boot issues until I changed the bios setting to turn off Intel graphics.

Okay, I went from almost the same exact system and upgraded to almost the same exact system.

I had a Gigabyte z77 with an Ivy Bridge i7 processor and EVGA GTX 660Ti and

My MOBO shorted out on me and I had to upgrade so I purchased a Gigabyte Z97-UD7 TH motherboard and an i7-4790K processor.

I cloned my SSD (which was successfully running ML 10.8.5 with my previous setup) to save my previous information in case of an update error.

I updated from ML to Yosemite using the update guide. I did this with Intel Integrated Graphics and 1x8GB ram. After I got this to post using UNIBEAST, I decided to try to get my EVGA GTX 660Ti to boot using one of the boot options (ie GraphicsEnabler=yes/no).

I went into the bios and disabled the Intel Integrated Graphics and set the graphics to the PCIe slot that I was going to put the GPU in then I saved and exited.

I inserted my GPU into the proper PCIe slot, turned the power on and then the computer went into an automatic boot loop. It turns on I dont even get to the mobo bios entry screen and it automatically powers itself off and then turns back on and repeats this process forever

CPU: Intel i7-4790K
Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X-UD7 TH
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti
RAM: 1x8GB Corsair Vengence 1600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back