Contribute
Register

Upgrade to Ivy Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Vendetta (or anyone who can answer this)

You were mentioning finding AMD Radeon HD6870 for as low as 130$. If i can find it around there then I can afford it. From my scouring I didn't have much luck, but was hoping you could point me in the direction of one of those fancy shmancy deals you were talking about. Also, which Mobo do you think is better? They are the same price, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what sets them apart/which would be more useful to have. Thanks again for everyones help.

mikahFSmusic said:

You were mentioning finding AMD Radeon HD6870 for as low as 130$. If i can find it around there then I can afford it. From my scouring I didn't have much luck, but was hoping you could point me in the direction of one of those fancy shmancy deals you were talking about. Also, which Mobo do you think is better? They are the same price, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what sets them apart/which would be more useful to have. Thanks again for everyones help.

Keep an eye on slickdeals. Last time it was on sale was 5 days ago.

Vendetta said:
mikahFSmusic said:

Keep an eye on slickdeals. Last time it was on sale was 5 days ago.

Thanks! Any opinion about which of the two motherboards I should get?

mikahFSmusic said:

From what I can see, they're quite similar. One has more USB ports, while the other has an eSATA port as well as more video out connectors, which you won't use unless you're using integrated graphics.

If it were me, I'd do a search on the forum and see how many successful builds you find with each board, and then go from there.

Vendetta said:
mikahFSmusic said:

From what I can see, they're quite similar. One has more USB ports, while the other has an eSATA port as well as more video out connectors, which you won't use unless you're using integrated graphics.

If it were me, I'd do a search on the forum and see how many successful builds you find with each board, and then go from there.

Will do, thanks so much!

Another question. If I am looking to get the AMD Radeon HD 6870, does it have to be the AMD 6870 made by gigabyte? I've seen a number of GPU's called AMD 6870 (Radeon etc.) made by a few companies. Trying to save money, but also trying to have a working computer :p

mikahFSmusic said:
Another question. If I am looking to get the AMD Radeon HD 6870, does it have to be the AMD 6870 made by gigabyte? I've seen a number of GPU's called AMD 6870 (Radeon etc.) made by a few companies. Trying to save money, but also trying to have a working computer :p

I believe it still needs to be a reference design 6870, which a lot of times has to do with what types of ports it has. Check the forum as well as the wiki to get an idea for which cards people have working hassle free.

OK. So. Graphics card worked out, Mobo worked out. Lastly, the PSU. Will This PSU be enough to handle my build/fit into the Fractal R3 case?

Here it is:

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-ModXStream-Mo ... 252&sr=1-2

I like how it's not as pricey as the Corsair 650W. If there are even cheaper, yet reliable PSU's out there, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back