Contribute
Register

Upgrade to Ivy Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikahFSmusic said:
Gordo74 said:
mikahFSmusic said:
Gotta Say... that would look damn good in white. Definitely a fan, just not of the price... :/

It's actually the best bang for the buck in the "silent case" series. Antec P280, Corsair 550D and others are of the same quality, and they are almost double a price in some cases (no pun intended).

Haha well, I think I'll go with the r3 then. Also, should I wait for ivy bridge, or is Sandy good enough/will be good enough a year+ from now so I'm not kicking myself?

The big advantage in IB is HD4000, which isn't supported yet, and is really only an advantage if you're running integrated graphics. If you plan on a GPU, you will probably only see a few percent (10-15 I think I've read) increase in performance. However, I've read that the SB cpus overclock much better than the IB, so it's actually better to go with SB for most people, particularly if you plan to OC. Another advantage is lower power/less heat, but I'm not sure it's enough to justify the potential cost difference.

The big advantage in IB is HD4000, which isn't supported yet, and is really only an advantage if you're running integrated graphics. If you plan on a GPU, you will probably only see a few percent (10-15 I think I've read) increase in performance. However, I've read that the SB cpus overclock much better than the IB, so it's actually better to go with SB for most people, particularly if you plan to OC. Another advantage is lower power/less heat, but I'm not sure it's enough to justify the potential cost difference.

Yeah I'm going to stick with the sandy. Seems to be the best bet, especially since I want to get this thing from parts to perfect ASAP. If there is literally ANYTHING about my build that could be improved in any way please please please let me know.

mikahFSmusic said:

Yeah I'm going to stick with the sandy. Seems to be the best bet, especially since I want to get this thing from parts to perfect ASAP. If there is literally ANYTHING about my build that could be improved in any way please please please let me know.

The 6870 is a better card and I've seen it go for as little as $130 a few times recently.

Get the low profile RAM just to be safe.

Which PSU are you looking at?

The only other thing I'd recommend at some point is a SSD to use as a boot drive. Using the system is much faster with one, and consequently more enjoyable.

Vendetta said:
mikahFSmusic said:

The 6870 is a better card and I've seen it go for as little as $130 a few times recently.

Get the low profile RAM just to be safe.

Which PSU are you looking at?

The only other thing I'd recommend at some point is a SSD to use as a boot drive. Using the system is much faster with one, and consequently more enjoyable.

here is the psu (corsair 650 Watt):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LV ... cx86com-20

Is the low profile RAM the same thing as the Vengeance RAM I have posted?

I'll definitely shop around for the graphics card. Still though, trying to keep this build as low cost as possible, and was ideally aiming for under $1000.... but we'll see haha. not too hard to get carried away.

Ooh. Also. Can I burn CD's/DVD's with this drive? If not, what disc drive would you recommend. also, where can I "trim fat" so to speak, to keep this price as low as possible (less RAM, etc.).

mikahFSmusic said:

I'll definitely shop around for the graphics card. Still though, trying to keep this build as low cost as possible, and was ideally aiming for under $1000.... but we'll see haha. not too hard to get carried away.

You can trim fat by going with a different PSU. There's nothing wrong with the one you've chosen, but you can get a quality 550-650w for less than $80.

Also, Corsair makes Vengeance RAM that is low profile and some that is not.

Yes, you can burn CD/DVDs with that Sony drive, so long as it the DVD-RW model.

Vendetta said:
mikahFSmusic said:

You can trim fat by going with a different PSU. There's nothing wrong with the one you've chosen, but you can get a quality 550-650w for less than $80.

Also, Corsair makes Vengeance RAM that is low profile and some that is not.

Yes, you can burn CD/DVDs with that Sony drive, so long as it the DVD-RW model.
Great, thanks so much. What about RAM quantity though... should I stick with 16GB?

mikahFSmusic said:
Great, thanks so much. What about RAM quantity though... should I stick with 16GB?

16GB is certainly not necessary, and you could save some cash if you go with 8GB. Could always add more later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back