Contribute
Register

Upgrade to 128GB RAM on Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i9 << need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
RX 580
Hello everybody,

I build my MacPro three years ago and it works flawlessly since then. Here are the specs of it:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi v1.0
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (15.90 cm)
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (DDR4-3000, DIMM 288 pin) & 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT
Drives: 1x Samsung 860 EVO Basic (2000 GB, 2.5"), 1x Samsung 860 EVO Basic (1000 GB, 2.5"), 1x Samsung 860 EVO Basic (500 GB, 2.5")
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse (8 GB)

Since I'm a media-composer who mainly work with samples that demand a lot of RAM (we reach the 48GB mark quickly), i would like to take advantage of Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi v1.0 supporting up to 128GB RAM (4xDDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 128GB (32GB single DIMM capacity).

So far i tried to swap the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT RAM-Moduls (2x8GB, DDR-2400) with Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x32GB, DDR4-2666) resulting in my MacPro getting stuck in a Bootloop. Since my CPU is supporting RAM-Moduls with DDR4-2666, i couldnt figure out why it didnt work.

My question therefore is: With the system i have running at the moment, what would i have to improve/change so i can upgrade my system and use 128GB RAM?

Thanks for your support!

I’d check your bios level and Gigabytes support site. if my memory is right, the Designare had a bug capping capacity. The next would be to run memcheck on your sticks.

some questions,
can it boot with a single stick installed?
do you have xmpp profile switched on?
does bios display the sticks correctly?

I’m also a creative professional frequently pushing my ram and cpu. My own workstation is very similar, Gigabyte Designare, a very similar board to yours, and 64gb of Corsair Vengeance. It’s rock solid.

something I’d read a while back just surfaced, a problem with memory and bios and kexts. One of side effects seems remarkably similar to your problem, although the RCA is the perfect fit. Likely nothing, but hey…

look at Casey’s post titled experiment 3, https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...700k-amd-rx-580.316533/page-3211#post-2260036

So… Is VT-d enabled?
What dimm slots are you populating?
and… uhh… you’re not trying to mix those different sticks… yeah?

thanks a lot for replying!

Today i run a memcheck on my sticks and they seem ok. no errors! The stick is detected correctly by the motherboard.
however i tried to boot with XMP-Profile switched on and just a single stick (Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB, DDR4-2666) and i couldnt boot into my system.

Also VT-d is enabled and i populate DIMM 288 pins as its requested by the manufacturer.
What do you mean by mixing different sticks? So far i mixed the RAM-Modules mentioned above.

What RAM-Modules are you populating?

In caseys post i didnt get what he meant by this part:

• In OpenCore config.plist, uncheck DisableIoMapper (in the Kernel Quirks section)
  • In OpenCore config.plist, remove "dart=0" from Boot-Args if present (in the NVRAM section)
  • After rebooting, run IORegistryExplorer to see whether a new device named AppleVTD appears near the top of the list. This confirms that VT-d is enabled.
Thanks for support again!

What they meant by Mixing the Ram Modules is using RAM modules of different, sizes, speeds and from different manufactures.

What RAM modules are you populating, would be asking for confirmation of the exact make and model of the RAM sticks you are using.

When you purchased the RAM modules did you refer to the 'Support List' page on the Gigabyte site for your motherboard? Here is a link to the page - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-doc, where you can download support documents listing all the drives and and memory Gigabyte have tested on your motherboard.

The question then is, does the Make and Model of your RAM appear in the support list, and then is it in a supported configuration?

@Edhawk - couldn’t have said it better.
@othernoise - I’m really happy your memory passed. Mixing memory sticks (in the server world) is almost as reckless as passing out a Jeffery Dahmers apartment. it’s economical and reuse is nice. Really weird things tend to arise whi are really hard to isolate.

I really suggest you follow Mr Ed’s advice, check compatibility, then simplify your machine. Note it’s current config and just focus on getting the most minimal possible configuration to fully boot. The start expanding it one part at a time.
assuming your memory is compatible with your board….
double check all your bios settings.
double check your using the correct dimm slot for the most minimal config.
if thats still a problem, reset bios config to defaults and reconfigure. perhaps clear your bios.. check Ed’s link, there’s Soo many answers in there. It’s really good stuff.

I have a notebook to write down what I’ve done and the results. A very good rule of thumb applies, “what gets measured can be improved”. Troubleshooting and accurate RCA requires an incremental and measured process. It’s not natural or easy for me initially.
the other option is shooting around in the dark hoping to hit something..

and don’t give up. You got this

@othernoise I guess I like support these days.

A few additional things to add to your list.

What BIOS level are you at?
F9 might be important for you.
  1. Support of future 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors
  2. Update CPU microcode
  3. Update Intel IRST version
  4. Support Intel Optane H10
  5. Support 32G UDIMM
Take note of #5

Bios Update Warning: F12 Bios is a capsule update. This is a one-way update...

Product Links

Motherboard Spec Note

1. 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 128GB (32GB single DIMM capacity) of system memory**
    ** Please note that the support for system total memory size depends on the CPU installed.

Supported Memory List

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x32GB, DDR4-2666) product page - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...EANCE-LPX/p/CMK64GX4M2A2666C16#tab-tech-specs

Keep us informed of your progress.

to the both of you, thanks a lot for your help! i really appreciate it!

@Edhawk i checked the support list from the gigabyte homepage and sure enough the RAM modules i tried so far are NOT on the list! so i went through the list looking for modules that are DDR-2666MHz as its coherent with the specs of my CPU: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9900k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html

i landed on the following module:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-02-11 um 10.25.41.png

i struggle to read the table in the "memory socket support". what is the difference between "v" and "V"?
if the cell on "XMP" is empty, i guess that means i should disable XMP in BIOS?

otherwise if read the table correctly, it should work with the RAM module in the screenshot (4x32GB)?

@larrythedirtbag a few days back i updated my BIOS Level from F9 to F12 without notice that it cant be reversed. but as far as i see, it should not stand in the way of having 128GB RAM right?
Thanks for advice on troubleshooting and RCA. I try the keep record on everything i try out with my computer :)

Last edited:
to the both of you, thanks a lot for your help! i really appreciate it!

@larrythedirtbag a few days back i updated my BIOS Level from F9 to F12 without notice that it cant be reversed. but as far as i see, it should not stand in the way of having 128GB RAM right?
Thanks for advice on troubleshooting and RCA. I try the keep record on everything i try out with my computer :)

Glad to help, and I'm also happy you're taking notes.
Your F12 bios rules out that incompatibility.

i guess that means i should disable XMP in BIOS?
:mad:
Go back to Feb 8 post, and read the questions.
--

I hope I'm not offbase offering some unsolicited/constructive criticism. Both @Edhawk and I have asked some important questions trying to help. Your answers continually miss our questions, or our questions get ignored.
I'm not sure if it's a language, age, or a cultural barrier but if you're wondering why your not finding the help you'd like - this may be a part of it.

Ed is easily one of the most knowledgable and generous folks I've come across. If he offered me guidance on a problem, my reply back would be very clear and directed to the question.

Speaking for myself, I have a ton of work to do, and I'm doing this for free. Helping someone else is rewarding - this community helped me build an incredible workstation for far, far less than I'd budgeted to spend at the apple store (a workstation which incidentally is used to pay my bills). I'm not asking questions for fake internet points and I know @Edhawk isn't either.

hi @larrythedirtbag & @Edhawk

i'm sorry it took me a bit longer to answer on your last post.

first of all, i'm really sorry if i came across inappropriate in my last post. i'm very inexperienced and insecure about the topic discussed and probably didn't react to your questions accordingly simply because i couldn't figure out what it exactly meant. it has never been my intention to waste anybody's time and i hope I haven't lost your support with this! again i really appreciate the support of you and the community here on tonymacx86, without you i would definitely not have a machine that handles my daily workload.

allow me to try and answer the questions you posted above:

i looked through the memory support list (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-doc) which @Edhawk posted on the 9th of february and bought 4x32GB RAM modules (Corsair Vengeance LPX) which were validated by gigabyte to support 4 "memory socket support".

at the moment i test my machine with these 4 RAM-Sticks and in the following configuration:

- Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) -> Profile1
- System Memory Settings -> Auto
- VT-d -> Enabled
- Initial Display Output -> PCIe 1 Slot
- Internal Graphics -> Enabled
- DVMT Pre-Allocated -> 256M
- Wake on LAN -> Disabled
- Legacy USB Support -> Enabled
- XHCI Hand-off -> Enabled
- Network Stack -> Disabled
- Windows 8/10 Features -> Other OS
- CSM Support -> Enabled

Despite the fact that the motherboard detects the RAM-Sticks correctly (128GB) i couldn't boot into the system so far. first i tried with only one stick, two sticks in dual-channel memory configuration (according to mobo user manual) and all four sticks. no luck so far.

so i went on and tried to find out if something with my clover configuration is causing the problem. i installed mojave 14.0.22 with clover version 2.4k rev 4769. when booting in verbos-mode (also enabled the following boot-arguments: dart=0 slide=0) the computer gets stuck at the following screen:

20220219_174221.jpg

As i mentioned i'm inexperienced when i comes to read and understand whats on the screenshot. Could you maybe help me out with this?

I aswell attached a zip-file with the EFI-folder i'm using at the moment. Maybe you'll find some kext which are not needed to run my computer.

At the end of this post, i again want apologize for not being clear with my answers! I'll be more precise in the future :)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    25.1 MB · Views: 64
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back