Contribute
Register

Upgrade Time: i9 or i8 and what Asus MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Rog STRIX Z370-H
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been rocking my hackintosh for a long time but its time to upgrade since most of my work is CPU and GPU intensive.

I'm looking for advice on the mid range price for a mother board that will take the higher end i8 or i9 cpu's. I have seen ones from ASUS that are up to $500 for the mb alone but I'm not sure I need something like that. I have a old ASUS Z170a, any thoughts on a mid range mb with m2 slots?

Ideally my build would be:

i8 or i9
dual rx 580's (have plenty of these from my crypto mining days)
m2 drive ?
Ram

I guess im really asking what is a decent asus mb that can take all the way up to i9 cpu because I find building my mac the asus ones need less kext or hacks to get them going and I prefer the least amount of messing around every time I have to upgrade to a new mac point release or newer OS. I'm a clover guy so most everything has gone smoothly outside of always having to get my audio back up :)

Cheers!

I'm quite sure, that there is no such thing as i8 processors ;-) Maybe you meant i7?

I'm quite sure, that there is no such thing as i8 processors ;-) Maybe you meant i7?
lol :) yes..

I went a head and ordered ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, and i7 8700k for my new build.. it allows me to update cpus to i9 if I wanted to in the future.. stay tuned for how this goes :)

lol :) yes..

I went a head and ordered ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, and i7 8700k for my new build.. it allows me to update cpus to i9 if I wanted to in the future.. stay tuned for how this goes :)
Good choice! I'm currently also building new Hackintosh with 8700K and I am facing the choice of two motherboards (Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 and Asus ROG Maximus X Code). Good luck with this build!

All my builds use ASUS, I seem to have much better results and the least amount of kext or hacks to get it them to run, I'm sure when I get my stuff next week Ill be pulling my hair out and reading as many posts as possible. I did a test on a old Z170a recently and a fresh install of Mojave went pretty smooth and everything was working with only a few kext.

Z370 is pretty well established now and it should be a very easy install. You can take the Z170a install of Mojave, mod the EFI folder a little and plug it in to your Z370-H.

Z370 is pretty well established now and it should be a very easy install. You can take the Z170a install of Mojave, mod the EFI folder a little and plug it in to your Z370-H.

Yea I was thinking that, do I need to change the Mac ver.. i think its 14,1 or 2 I cant remember and also fakecpu stuff? Also is their any advantage of running dual RX 580's? I have a few of them from mining crypto left over..

Last edited:
Yea I was thinking that, do I need to change the Mac ver.. i think its 14,1 or 2 I cant remember and also fakecpu stuff? Also is their any advantage of running dual RX 580's? I have a few of them from mining crypto left over..

iMac18,x or Macmini8,1 is closest to Coffee Lake.

I think some apps can take advantage of dual video cards for GPGPU stuff, but I don't have any experience with that.

Ideally my build would be:

i8 or i9

Where would you get an i8 CPU ? Intel chose odd numbers only due to the jokes like, "i8 the CPU, now I need surgery !"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back