Contribute
Register

Upgrade Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU model number > See Rules!
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
I'm wondering to upgrade my OS, and I'm actually using Mountain Lion Ver. 10.8.5 .

Since I have some pending jobs to do, I wanna be sure I'm not going to break my system.
I do the backup on my internal Sata 3rd HD, used for backups. Is it ok? No problem?
I have more two Sata HDs, 1st to the system and the 2nd to data.

Other Questions:

1- I need unplug the backup HD to do the OS change?
2- Download the newest UniBeast 7.1.1 and
install direct Mac OS Sierra or update my current OS Mountain Lion to El Capitain

and than, use the UniBeast 6.2.0 first?

Thank you for any help.

Just in case you need, here is my system:

Mac Pro
Processor 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2048 MB
Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F2560)

Yes your system can be upgraded to macOS Sierra. Are you using the Clover boot loader? If not you should update to Clover first in my opinion. There are guides available... use search to locate the ones that you will need.

However, I would suggest that you minimize the risk of updating/upgrading by setting your current drives aside after downloading 10.12.6 maxOS and building the USB installer device (UniBeast). Then once you have Sierra installed to a new drive and you are happy (check off that everything that is important to you functions properly), you could reconnect you current system drive and run the Migration Assistant.app to bring over your current apps and data.

Only after you are up and running and able to use the new OS for your work and projects for some period of time would make any changes to your current drive set (as this is your recovery path should something go bad).

Good modding,
neil

Yes your system can be upgraded to macOS Sierra. Are you using the Clover boot loader? If not you should update to Clover first in my opinion. There are guides available... use search to locate the ones that you will need.

However, I would suggest that you minimize the risk of updating/upgrading by setting your current drives aside after downloading 10.12.6 maxOS and building the USB installer device (UniBeast). Then once you have Sierra installed to a new drive and you are happy (check off that everything that is important to you functions properly), you could reconnect you current system drive and run the Migration Assistant.app to bring over your current apps and data.

Only after you are up and running and able to use the new OS for your work and projects for some period of time would make any changes to your current drive set (as this is your recovery path should something go bad).

Good modding,
neil

Hi Neil, thanks for listening. I need your help please!!!
Actually I already installed El Capitan now, but I have a problem to boot. Every time I'm having to reinstall the OS, from the USB to get in. And I have to wait 25 minutes. I am getting crazy.
What should I do to be able to fix the boot through the HD, without using the pendrive?
Thanks again.

Hi Neil, thanks for listening. I need your help please!!!
Actually I already installed El Capitan now, but I have a problem to boot. Every time I'm having to reinstall the OS, from the USB to get in. And I have to wait 25 minutes. I am getting crazy.
What should I do to be able to fix the boot through the HD, without using the pendrive?
Thanks again.

Humm... when you boot with the pen drive, do you get the Clover screen which shows the boot drive to select from?

And if yes, is your new installation showing?

Good modding,
neil

Humm... when you boot with the pen drive, do you get the Clover screen which shows the boot drive to select from?

And if yes, is your new installation showing?

Good modding,
neil

Hi Neil,
yes I boot with the pen drive, but I have to go to the settings / graphics Injector menu and turn off InjectNVidea: [ ], then go to the Binaries patching menu and turn off Kext patching allowed / AppleIntelCPUPM patch / AppleRTC patch, then boot via USB and reinstall the OS

Hi Neil,
yes I boot with the pen drive, but I have to go to the settings / graphics Injector menu and turn off InjectNVidea: [ ], then go to the Binaries patching menu and turn off Kext patching allowed / AppleIntelCPUPM patch / AppleRTC patch, then boot via USB and reinstall the OS

Does the reinstall run and complete?

neil

Does the reinstall run and complete?

neil

Yes, I am here using El Capitan, but if I need reboot, I have to install again.
I try to set Clover to automatically boot system drive, but not work.
And I'm still trying to see if I can do my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra audio card work. No more drivers for her to work with El Capitan.
But I know, one step at time.

Last edited:
Yes, I am here using El Capitan, but if I need reboot, I have to install again.
I try to set Clover to automatically boot system drive, but not work.
And I'm still trying to see if I can do my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra audio card work. No more drivers for her to work with El Capitan.
But I know, one step at time.

Did you run MultiBeast? This post installation tool can install Clover onto your hard disk so that you can boot without the USB device.

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back