Contribute
Register

Upgrade 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 or Higher...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try boot with boot-args

-v -x

and delete sleep enabler kext, reboot. More likely than not the kext is version specific - you need a new version for 10.6.8.

Ok so I created a bootable clone vi ccc and rerunning multibeast (v 3.3).
I restarted off that working clone and then ran the 10.6.8 combo update.

After running the combo update I restarted but got a KP (see the attached pic). -I then tried booting from my iBoot disk v 2.6.3 but can't get past the grey apple screen...

Ideas? Think that reference to kext.sleepEnabler is causing the problem?

View attachment 214368
UPDATE!
I removed the sleepenabler.kext manually by removing the drive and finding it in the file directory using a second mac and a drive sled. Now I can boot with and without iBoot! However when I boot without the iBoot disc my system is very slow to load. I also don't have Airport wifi any more.

- I reran Multibeast 3.10.0 with Lynx2mac's network option and System Utilities to try and get my Airport Card back but no luck.
- Tried deleting my network interface.plist file and rebooting but that didn't change anything *Edit. Also deleted all the network items from System Preferences and re-added them but no luck.
- However, by removing my PCIe Apple branded Airport card (Atheros AR9280 chipset) that seemed to speed my system back up to normal again.
- I ran Multibeast again (with System Utilities checked) to get audio back and that worked!

- Now I have to sort out how to get my Airport Wifi back (was working perfectly in 10.6.6)
- Wake from sleep also does not work so it looks like I need to find a Snow Leopard 10.6.8 SleepEnabler.kext....

UPDATE!

- Now I have to sort out how to get my Airport Wifi back (was working perfectly in 10.6.6)
- Wake from sleep also does not work so it looks like I need to find a Snow Leopard 10.6.8 SleepEnabler.kext....
Great you have it somewhat working. Are you using a DSDT? If not, suggest you download the F8 or F9 BIOS version (whichever BIOS you are running) of the DSDT for your board from https://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt-database/

Great you have it somewhat working. Are you using a DSDT? If not, suggest you download the F8 or F9 BIOS version (whichever BIOS you are running) of the DSDT for your board from https://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt-database/

Update: Wifi Airport Card is now working!
I'm using user DSDT for my P55a-UD3 v3 with F11 BIOS.

I noticed something strange: Whenever I booted from the iBoot Disc v3.3.0 my system loaded to the desktop quickly and the Airport Card was recognized in System Profiler and working normally. However, when I would boot without iBoot my system was slow and the networking features were broken.

I thought there must be some mismatch in the bootloaders... Why would one work and another not? So I re-downloaded the DSDT for my board per your suggestion, placed in on the desktop, deleted the old one from my Extras folder, reran Multibeast (with System Utilities) to install the new newly Downloaded DSDT.

The DSDT must have been updated since my original install back in 2012 because after a restart I have Wifi and networking back!! The system also boots at normal speed again and no more beachballs...Thank you sir!

-For anyone upgrading I definitely recommend backing up your old .aml file and re-downloading the latest version just in case.

I've also noticed that my XFX 5770 ZMF3 is not communicating with my ACD 27" via the MiniDisplay Port. DVI is fine via my ACD 20". This was working in 10.6.6 so I need to find a fix for that next, along with sourcing SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.8

I found this article for regular Macs referring to an ATI patch, but I'm not sure if it would work on my rig? Thoughts anyone?
http://macprovideocards.com/1068update/

Patches for the ROM on Apple Branded Mac Pro GPUs will not work on PC GPUs.

That said, it is possible to update the firmware of the PC GPU so it thinks it is an Apple branded card.
Attempting to do this may brick your GPU.

Patches for the ROM on Apple Branded Mac Pro GPUs will not work on PC GPUs.

That said, it is possible to update the firmware of the PC GPU so it thinks it is an Apple branded card.
Attempting to do this may brick your GPU.
*Edit: This installer seems to be a driver patch and does not alter the card's firmware.

SUCCESS! I bit the bullet and installed the ATIDriverPatch10.6.8 via the included installer package found here http://macprovideocards.com/1068update/ and it worked!

Latest version here http://macprovideocards.com/new-version-of-10-6-8-patch/

-My 27 ACD monitor is now working on 10.6.8 via minidisplayport like it was back in 10.6.6. This is with my XFX 5770 Single Slot ZMF3. Restarted just to be certain and ran Multibeast System Utilites

FWIW the site specifies that the patch was for non-apple branded cards so I figured it was worth a shot (but not before backing up my entire extensions folder.

:clap: glad to know you are up and running on your updated system. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back