Contribute
Register

[Updated] wildwillow's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-OC - i7-4770K - HD4600+GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something seems to be corrupted on your system possibly from the boot loader causing problems initialising the Kernel. What have you done since the last good boot? Have you changed anything in the BIOS? Possible solutions is to use another installation/drive and target MultiBeast or Chimera to the defected install. Boot from a back up if you have one. If none of those are ideal solutions for you it may save you some time and reinstall. Probably not what you want to hear or do.

I've isolated the problem, and I'm more confused than ever.

Boot is prevented by having my 2TB backup drive connected to the system. It has no OS on it, nothing at all except Time Machine backups, but having it connected to the system during boot prevents any sort of startup—if it's connected, it doesn't even get to the bootloader screen.

Wtf. Have you run into this before? Why would something as harmless as a SATA drive cause this?

Oh, and for some reason, my main install works normally; I don't have to -F or -x anymore.

Everything here seems utterly illogical.

(Oh, I enabled hot plugging on the 2TB drive—I can connect it once the system starts and I run into no problems)

I've isolated the problem, and I'm more confused than ever.

Boot is prevented by having my 2TB backup drive connected to the system. It has no OS on it, nothing at all except Time Machine backups, but having it connected to the system during boot prevents any sort of startup—if it's connected, it doesn't even get to the bootloader screen.

Wtf. Have you run into this before? Why would something as harmless as a SATA drive cause this?

Yes I have seen this before. But in your first post you claimed that you only had your Mavericks drive and UniBeast connected. All other drives disconnected. I only have OS X duplicated on my systems as I use NAS, 4TB in Raid 2x2TB and have nothing apart from the OS on my system drives. This eliminated everything from being lost incase of no boot situation and saves multiple storage situations.

, and for some reason, my main install works normally; I don't have to -F or -x anymore.

Everything here seems utterly illogical.

(Oh, I enabled hot plugging on the 2TB drive—I can connect it once the system starts and I run into no problems)

At least you have found temporary solution for now. I'm not sure why the time machine back up causes this. Would be worth posting in General Help as to why this occurs.

Some things that may or may not help the freeze situation, luckily at the moment and hopefully for the for seeable future I have eliminated the freeze. The most relevant thing for me was to set my System definition to iMac 14,2. Try these individually and see if they help. I have set my XMP profile in the BIOS to default. If this also helps try setting the multiplier to 1600 instead of 1333mhz. Some memory modules are performing to the correct max setting out of the box depending whether the memory is on Gigabyte's support list. Those were the only things that I did to prevent the freeze. Since finding the stability I have enabled native power management via toleda's guide which hasn't provided me any further issues. See how these work for you over a period of time before addressing the next possible solution if needed. When you mention the freeze during a movie is it through iTunes or another media player?

My system has always been on iMac 14,2. My XMP profile is set to profile 1, and is therefore at 1600mhz. I just received a freeze again watching a movie in VLC Player. The sound and video were flawless but when it ended I realized my keyboard and mouse were useless.

Anything else you think could fix this?
I'm not using the Azul kext you mentioned above because I am using a GTX 660 BTW.

Edit: My ram is the exact same as the one you put in the post (ordered from that Amazon page.)

My system has always been on iMac 14,2. My XMP profile is set to profile 1, and is therefore at 1600mhz. I just received a freeze again watching a movie in VLC Player. The sound and video were flawless but when it ended I realized my keyboard and mouse were useless.

Anything else you think could fix this?
I'm not using the Azul kext you mentioned above because I am using a GTX 660 BTW.

Edit: My ram is the exact same as the one you put in the post (ordered from that Amazon page.)

As I mentioned try using the default profile for XMP, yes it drops your memory modules down from 1600 to 1333MHz. But depending on what you do with your system, you may not see a drop in performance. Even if you try it for a movie. If this provides stability try upping the memory clock to 16x keeping the default XMP setting.

I'm getting a new issue. Installing the ALC892 audio patch with multibeast worked fine at first. I also installed the 5.1 optional kext. Now, the audio randomly just stops working. The volume adjustment works fine, but nothing comes out of the speakers or headphones. I have speakers plugged in the back and my headphones using the front panel. The problems can easily be fixed if I sleep and wake up again, but I'm curious if there is any aid to this.

I'm getting a new issue. Installing the ALC892 audio patch with multibeast worked fine at first. I also installed the 5.1 optional kext. Now, the audio randomly just stops working. The volume adjustment works fine, but nothing comes out of the speakers or headphones. I have speakers plugged in the back and my headphones using the front panel. The problems can easily be fixed if I sleep and wake up again, but I'm curious if there is any aid to this.

I'm not sure what the issue is here, suggest reporting it in the thread/guide that you followed.

I'm not sure what the issue is here, suggest reporting it in the thread/guide that you followed.
I didn't follow any guide other than this one. I selected the ALC892 patch because it is the one you used. I didn't exactly need a guide because the 5.1 audio option states that it is an "Optional for 3 port audio layouts. Remaps audio input and output ports for 5.1 analog support".

Hey Wild, hope all is well. Regarding this post, you were able to successfully get native PM to work. I am having issues and since we have the same board, would you mind sharing your current BIOS settings with me so I can attempt to get NPM to function on my setup. I am unable to get any states between 8-28 :banghead:. I am running F8 BIOS...thx bud!

Hey Wild, hope all is well. Regarding this post, you were able to successfully get native PM to work. I am having issues and since we have the same board, would you mind sharing your current BIOS settings with me so I can attempt to get NPM to function on my setup. I am unable to get any states between 8-28 :banghead:. I am running F8 BIOS...thx bud!

Hey lexone,

I am running F8 BIOS also. I have loaded the optimised defaults and only changed my boot priority, initial first display and disabled wake on lan. I haven't adjusted any frequency settings with the CPU or Memory. Kept it simple to see that it is working. As the guide mentions, Load optimised settings, I would assume that changing anything in frequencies would render it as not optimised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back