Contribute
Register

[Updated] wildwillow's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-OC - i7-4770K - HD4600+GT 640

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Wild...quick question for you. Does you CPU speed in your "About this Mac" display the correct Frequency? When I was running 10.9.1 it displayed the stock speed at 3.5GHz. After I upgraded to 10.9.2 it showed 3.9GHz which would be correct for "Turbo". I decided to give my machine a fresh build of 10.9.2 and now it's back down to 3.5GHz and nothing I have done will make it show the correct speed when/if I overclock manually or using turbo. Any thoughts on this and what I can do to get it to display the correct speed?

Hi lexone,

My CPU current speed recognised by OS X in About This Mac is 3.7. This is still from the original 10.9 installation plus updates. I not entirely sure why this is when I have no overclock enabled. It usually has the tendency to show the Turbo, but I am in the middle. My guess and only a guess is system definition/SSDT/DSDT/BIOS configuration. Each and every system pretty much with the Z87X-OC is configured for the User purpose and not an exact replica of one another giving different results.

Hi lexone,

My CPU current speed recognised by OS X in About This Mac is 3.7. This is still from the original 10.9 installation plus updates. I not entirely sure why this is when I have no overclock enabled. It usually has the tendency to show the Turbo, but I am in the middle. My guess and only a guess is system definition/SSDT/DSDT/BIOS configuration. Each and every system pretty much with the Z87X-OC is configured for the User purpose and not an exact replica of one another giving different results.

hi...had any1 tried the new bios F8 ?

F8 BIOS was just release on 3/19 so I doubt anyone has tried it. The only improvement with F8 BIOS is "Improved overclocking ability"
GA-Z87X-OC BIOS.

I will be upgrading my system to this BIOS later in the week, and will generate a new DSDT for my system.

I doubt the BIOS has any impact on not reading the correct CPU speed. I feel as if it may be something related to the DSDT edit as I performed a fresh install and prior to installing my DSDT, the CPU speed read 3.9GHz which is what it should read. After installing DSDT, CPU speed read 3.5GHz. Not sure where in the DSDT it is not reading the correct C or P states. :banghead:

@lexone

Regarding my earlier problem about installing from a 10.9.2 USB stick and it not working, I can confirm that a 10.9.1 USB Mavericks install DOES work.
Not sure where the problem is, but since I seem to be the only one with this motherboard having it,
I might as well stick to 10.9.1 and do my fresh install from 10.9.3, which might hopefully also update UniBeast.

I would now move deeper into the hackintosh territory and would like to install PCI-E cards in the system.
The suggested wifi card worked without a problem with plug and play.
I installed the REDROCKET card, as well as the Sonnet PCI Extension card, and none of them showed up in the system profiler, although I saw them using ioreg in terminal.

Having read this, I understand that the cards do not have to show up, in order for the drivers to pick them up?

Could anyone please point me to a tutorial on what to consider when using such cards?
I would e.g. like to use a ATTO r680 card. Is that possible on a hack?

Thank you,

CC

I haven't updated to the latest BIOS as of yet. My system is very stable at the moment have no reason for this update. My current needs are working well with the F7 BIOS. I have seen Gigabyte pushing the boundaries of overclocking with this board and now seem to have added the updated BIOS

F8 BIOS was just release on 3/19 so I doubt anyone has tried it. The only improvement with F8 BIOS is "Improved overclocking ability"
GA-Z87X-OC BIOS.

I will be upgrading my system to this BIOS later in the week, and will generate a new DSDT for my system.

I doubt the BIOS has any impact on not reading the correct CPU speed. I feel as if it may be something related to the DSDT edit as I performed a fresh install and prior to installing my DSDT, the CPU speed read 3.9GHz which is what it should read. After installing DSDT, CPU speed read 3.5GHz. Not sure where in the DSDT it is not reading the correct C or P states. :banghead:

If you are overclocking then this update will help, I'm sure in due time I will be updating. As for the correct CPU speed all in all it is figures reading within the spec of the CPU, it's functioning correctly with no problems and do not feel that a fresh install or updated BIOS will change this at the current time however we have configured our systems. Sometimes that final tweak ends all.

Wanted to thank you Wildwillow for the time you have taken to help everyone out. I built my first hackintosh this weekend and after following your guide I have to say it went very smooth. I was getting kernal panicks during boot, but that was solved by setting the PCIrootUID fix to 1, not sure why it worked, but it did.

I've been running logic X, cubase, Poser Pro with the octane render (CUDA application). Very stable for 2 days. I did have my first freeze up this evening. It would freeze about 2 minutes after boot. The last thing I remember installing was adobe cloud. I turned it off and rebuild with multi beast, been a couple of hours and no freeze ups. My profile is Imac 14,2.

The only issue I am now still trying to figure out is the occasional freeze during boot. The system will start the apple logo appears, and the spinner spins indefinitely. This happens 1 out every 6 or 7 times I reboot. It's more annoying than anything else. But it would be nice to solve it. My internal graphics are turned off so is the internal audio, i'm using focusrite 2i2 usb interface.

Thanks for your help

Nick

I had those annoying freezing moments. Solution that worked for me is using iMac 14,2 system definition, No freezes since I applied this before the new year. Give it a try and hopefully you can say goodbye to them too. Glad my previous suggestions have moved you forward to achieving a bit more stability.

In my case (GA-B85M-D3H) the iMac 14,2 system definition made no difference. I still had the random freezes (and my RAM was on the Gigabyte approved list). What solved it for me was to flash the latest BIOS for my motherboard, set the memory from Profile 1 to Default, and then use the multiplier to bump the memory speed back up to 1600 MHz. I'm using all four memory slots as well (4x4) and it's been stable as a rock for over 5 weeks. :D

Tom

Wanted to thank you Wildwillow for the time you have taken to help everyone out. I built my first hackintosh this weekend and after following your guide I have to say it went very smooth. I was getting kernal panicks during boot, but that was solved by setting the PCIrootUID fix to 1, not sure why it worked, but it did.

I've been running logic X, cubase, Poser Pro with the octane render (CUDA application). Very stable for 2 days. I did have my first freeze up this evening. It would freeze about 2 minutes after boot. The last thing I remember installing was adobe cloud. I turned it off and rebuild with multi beast, been a couple of hours and no freeze ups. My profile is Imac 14,2.

The only issue I am now still trying to figure out is the occasional freeze during boot. The system will start the apple logo appears, and the spinner spins indefinitely. This happens 1 out every 6 or 7 times I reboot. It's more annoying than anything else. But it would be nice to solve it. My internal graphics are turned off so is the internal audio, i'm using focusrite 2i2 usb interface.

Thanks for your help

Nick

Hi alaman,

Glad you managed to successfully install OS X using my guide. And welcome to the tonymacx86 forums. Something that you may want to take a look at as you have disabled internal graphics, Navigate to /Extra folder located on the root of your installation drive, open org.chameleon.Boot.plist and make sure that you have IGPEnabler is set to No. See How To Edit a .plist to change this if it set to Yes.

Another suggestion is to set your memory profile to default other than Profile 1. But as this issue seems to only be occurring during boot test IGPEnabler=No before making alterations to the BIOS. Make sure that you have updated your BIOS from Gigabytes website to the latest.
Could you also fill in your profile so all the hardware in discussion is listed. Thanks.

In my case (GA-B85M-D3H) the iMac 14,2 system definition made no difference. I still had the random freezes (and my RAM was on the Gigabyte approved list). What solved it for me was to flash the latest BIOS for my motherboard, set the memory from Profile 1 to Default, and then use the multiplier to bump the memory speed back up to 1600 MHz. I'm using all four memory slots as well (4x4) and it's been stable as a rock for over 5 weeks. :D

Tom

Great to hear. I have had a stable system since before New Years. As I have expressed in some of my latest posts that each and every system is set to the Users configuration, some using SSDTS,DSDTS, different Ram, 2/4 slots. GFX or intergrated. The XMP on memory seems to have minimised the issue. Thanks for posting.

Hi alaman,

Glad you managed to successfully install OS X using my guide. And welcome to the tonymacx86 forums. Something that you may want to take a look at as you have disabled internal graphics, Navigate to /Extra folder located on the root of your installation drive, open org.chameleon.Boot.plist and make sure that you have IGPEnabler is set to No. See How To Edit a .plist to change this if it set to Yes.

Another suggestion is to set your memory profile to default other than Profile 1. But as this issue seems to only be occurring during boot test IGPEnabler=No before making alterations to the BIOS. Make sure that you have updated your BIOS from Gigabytes website to the latest.
Could you also fill in your profile so all the hardware in discussion is listed. Thanks.

IGPEnabler = No shaved about 20 seconds of my boot time!!!!! and so far i've rebooted about 5 times and no freeze.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back