Contribute
Register

Updated Super budget build: G530 + P8H61-M + GTS 250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Super budget build: GA-H61M-DS2 + i3-2100 + SL?

I think I might actually go with a G620 and end up going to an Ivy Bridge processor later on... But I still want a good deal on a mobo so I'm going to hold off until I can get one. If I can get a G620+mobo for $90ish I'll bite. I rarely if ever exceed the demand for power I have on my MBP (which apparently has a passmark like 800 less than the G620 does) so it should be plenty of power, and this means I'd be willing to spend like $40-50 on a solid gfx card.

Is there anything I should consider mobo-wise if I'm going to go to an Ivy Bridge later on?

ETA: A G530 can be had for $45. Man where aer all these mobo deals...

Pretty sure I'm not going that route. That thing is so powerful it should last me a decade so it doesn't make sense to buy a Celeron + video card just to be able to upgrade to Ivy Bridge as I really don't need that power. In addition, the 2500K will probably have strong resale value so it's not like I'd be stuck with it.

Time to start listing out components. Now back to page one to find the best mobo to bundle with the 2500K.

I think I finally figured out what I'm going to do.

I don't live near a Microcenter, but my sister does. She'll be glad to pick up something for me and ship it to me. But recall I don't really want all of the power in the 2500k. For my use, a G530 will probably be enough, and in a year or so I could just upgrade to an Ivy Bridge i3 that'll probably have way more power than I need, if I want to do so.

While the i5s are in store only, it seems like MC will actually ship some of the Motherboards. So I'll buy the combo, have the mobo shipped, sell the 2500k, and have my sister send it straight to the buyer. And I'll just by a G530, they're going for $45 shipped right now. Depending on the mobo I choose, I could have the CPU and Mobo for <$60 easily.

EDITED OUT

its against forum rules

thought about which gfx card your gonna use?

samisnake said:
its against forum rules

thought about which gfx card your gonna use?

Ok, took it out.

Micro Center won't ship the mobo so I'll just have to have my sister send it to me but it's still probably worth the savings.

Not sure yet. I really don't want to spend more on the card than I'm going to spend on my CPU. I'm really surprised at the fact that the lower-end cards are weaker than the 3-year-old discrete chip in my MBP. I mean, that 9600 is pretty strong and chews through HD video effortlessly but I want something at least a little more powerful than it.

hmmm.... someone near me on craigslist is selling two GeForce 9800 GT cards for $50 - one is an EVGA with 1GB and the other is a BFG with 512. I might bite on that and just sell one on ebay.

someone else is selling an 8800gts for $30. I guess that one might be worthwhile if I can get him down to $25.

there's also a GTS 450 for $50

8800 ultra for $40

Long story short, looks like I have some options. I want to spend <$30. But I'm worried about some of these full size cards actually fitting in an mATX setup.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966996+4294930321+4294963346
^that link should list out every LGA 1155 mATX board at MicroCenter.

There's also an ECS:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0363462

I don't really want to spend more than $30-40 max on the mobo so that knocks out anything over $90 basically.

I think the ECS or GA-H61M-S2H are my best options? I think they both use VIA audio chips, though. It's best to go Realtek all-around, right? Also, is there anything about these boards that'll hint me as to whether sleep will work or not?

I'll also ask this question another way: would it be better to buy a board that forced me to disable onboard LAN or onboard sound? I'm guessing there are greater advantages to a LAN card (maybe one + wifi) than a sound card? But I wouldn't even have enough slots to do that on an mATX board, would I?

Alternatively, an ASUS H67 mobo with Realtek all-around:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0358072
But it's open box and is missing the back plate.

ideally you want realtek audio (alc), and realtek or intel lan.

that h61m-s2h has neither. same with the ecs.

what about http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0365088
?
realtek lan and audio

cant speak about sleep, as ive never had it sucessfully on my own systems.
other systems ive built for people, no problem, but my own never work o_O

samisnake said:
ideally you want realtek audio (alc), and realtek or intel lan.

that h61m-s2h has neither. same with the ecs.

what about http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0365088
?
realtek lan and audio

cant speak about sleep, as ive never had it sucessfully on my own systems.
other systems ive built for people, no problem, but my own never work o_O

^Seems like people have had trouble with that board and I can't find much on it

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23772

i wouldnt take any notice of that thread

you can make a dsdt for that board using the guide in my sig, as theres a patch for it.
also i can send you a modded bios rom for that board so you wont have powermanagement issues

also, you dont need to have a guide for specific boards. sure, it helps, but just because there isnt a guide or info about it doesnt mean it wont work/is a bad board etc.

EVGA Gt210 is like $36 @ newegg. Works w/lion, at least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back