Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mavericks

How can I find a list of supported AMD cards? Also, are you saying that if I have a display port to mini-display port wire, that will work? All I have read on the internet is that it won't work and if you have a Thunderbolt monitor, you need a thunderbolt connection on the computer? The monitor I have is a new one so it has a thunderbolt connection, not a regular mini display port.

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mavericks

See BoomR's Golden Build description. He has the same motherboard using the Thunderbolt to drive an Apple monitor. http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...core-i7-3770k-ga-z77x-up5-th-32gb-hd4000.html

Note in his build description, he says
BoomR said:
As originally noted above in the TB UEFI settings section, YES - all my TB devices are working fine (driving my 27" mini-DP Cinema Display + all TB devices I listed above in my original post).
His build description describes the UEFI BIOS settings to use his Apple display.

Update: I forgot to comment on the AMD/ATI cards you mentioned. i haven't used an AMD/ATI since my 7950 in my 2010 Mac Pro; the Sapphire 7950 has two mini DisplayPorts. However, the R9 280 & 280x are the "rebadged" 7970 cards, but are expensive...compared to using the on-board Thunderbolt port. (I mention the 280/280x because OS X thinks it's a 7970.)

I appreciate the link, but he's using a much different motherboard than me. He is using a GA-Z77X-UP5 TH; I am using a GA-Z87M-D3H. Mine definitely does not have any Thunderbolt ports. I would be willing to replace the MB, but it would have to be a mATX and I didn't see any mATX boards listed that have integrated Thunderbolt ports (unless I missed it).

Update: I just got off the phone with Apple and they suggested http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...nk-dvi-to-mini-displayport-converter?fnode=51. I also ordered a Displayport to Mini DP to see if that would work as it is unclear about that compatibility.

At present I'm looking for a cheap AMD card with Mini Display port... Who would have though receiving a 27" Thunderbolt would turn into such a hassle!

Ah, I missed that since this is my build description thread focused on the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard system. I recommend you post your question on an inexpensive graphics card with (mini) DisplayPorts in Buyer's Advice or Graphics forum sections as you will get much more eyes on your problem.

Get a R9 270x and call it a day. Set your hd4600 graphics to boot first. You boot into a OSX black. No chimera or bios will be seen. if that's a issue. Install extra folder or the efi partition of your boot drive.
Even better is to use clover. Will see the bios and clover menus during boot.

Hi Stork,

Since 10.10.3 is available, will you now update your production servers to Yosemite?
My rig has been running stable for 3 weeks without any Mac 27" thunderbolt audio/video issues.
That must have been caused by the latest 10.9.5 improvements, though I can't point out wat did the trick.
I plan to save my current setup with SuperDuper as a stable disk image.
This gives me time to experiment with Yosemite and try to get things stable.
I will also take a look at BoonR's settings, they differ from my (i.e your) current BIOS F11 settings and may also help to get my rig stable.
I'll report back on my findings.

Hi Stork,

Since 10.10.3 is available, will you now update your production servers to Yosemite?
My rig has been running stable for 3 weeks without any Mac 27" thunderbolt audio/video issues.
That must have been caused by the latest 10.9.5 improvements, though I can't point out wat did the trick.
I plan to save my current setup with SuperDuper as a stable disk image.
This gives me time to experiment with Yosemite and try to get things stable.
I will also take a look at BoonR's settings, they differ from my (i.e your) current BIOS F11 settings and may also help to get my rig stable.
I'll report back on my findings.
Thank you for your report. I away from Thunderbolt until next week so I'll look forward to your posting(s). I'm still not a fan of Yosemite's GUI, and 10.10.3 is still getting the same old bug reports (WiFi and Time Machine) and reports indicate that 10.10.3 eliminated some earlier AMD graphics card drivers. So, I'll probably stick with Mavericks 10.9.5 until Yosemite .4 is released to see the results, but I'll keep a tell partition with the latest Yosemite.

I have been using this motherboard with a Drobo 5D for some time and with Mavericks everything just works great. Tried Yosemite with a UniBeast / MultiBeast install and everything works except Thunderbolt, no one else seems to be having this?

Is anyone using a Thunderbolt Drobo under Yosemite with this MB? The Drobo wakes up when the system comes up but never mounts and the Thunderbolt section of the system report says "no hardware" which other reports indicate it should no longer do in Yosemite.

Is this MB just no longer supported in the UniBeast / MultiBeast builds? I am going to try to wrap my head around Clover with an eye to patching my BIOS once I can get a stable Clover build with Yosemite, but I need Thunderbolt to work!

you need to do a apple thunderbolt Kext roll back. i can't remember properly but when i tested maverick, i did an upgrade who worked great, and i decided to do a clean instal and my promise raid was not working anymore. could not do anything until someone ( stinga11 or stork ?) told me to find a 10.8.4 kext for thunderbolt, and since then it has worked good until i sold the R6 to go to a areca 1680 with 16 drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back