Contribute
Register

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

Hey Stork. I just wanted to give you an update on my Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt freezing (previously posted as cdothackit). Still can't get any of my devices to work, but I was able to stop the system freeze by down grading the bios. Figured I'd stuff this information here, since this is the master thread for GA-Z77X-UP5 TH

F11 - Installed flawlessly, well almost. Multibeast did not FakeSMC automatically with DSDT Free option. System freezes every time a thunderbolt device is connected.
F08 - Furthest I could go back. System boots fine, no freeze on thunderbolt connection but no device is seen.
F09 - Same as F08.
F10 - Thunderbolt connection causes KP.
F12e - Beta bios, will not boot.

So now I settled on F08 and I'm attempting to get Clover running to see if a try UEFI boot would help with the Thunderbolt issue, although something peculiar just happened. As of my second downgrade to F08, I can no longer boot into my primary OSX install (I have two, stable and testing) and my USB drive with the install image is no longer being recognized at boot.

I'm going to reflash to F09, and then go for clover. I'll let you know if I get it working (I'll throw up a how-to about it as well).

I have exactly the same Problem. Tried everything, there is also a 13a around, i tried, but had no luck...

http://de.drivers.exdat.com/filelist/22854/Gigabyte+GA-Z77X-UP5+TH+(rev.+1.0)+BIOS+F13a+Beta

But you know, the thing which is so special for me is that in storks build everything works fine, i tried as well exactly the same settings like he, but no chance...I'm running as well an exsys pcie firewire card, there i have no freezes, but when i do a cold start up, the device is also not recognised...i was thinking as well to clover, probably to get the uefi communicate right with the kernel, but i didnt make it yet...Please tell when you have clover running...

I'm not yet sure if this could be a hardware failure or not, but there are too many people talking about freezes with Thunderbolt.

I onyl have freezes when i do a cold boot, then everything works, i'm now on 12a.

Greetz Samuel

[Updated] Stork's Thunderbolt Build: i5-3570K | GA-Z77X-UP5-TH | GTX 650 Ti | Mountain Lion

I'm sure someone has dual booting on a the same drive. Did you use the Forum's search to find dual booting on the same drive? This use to be popular a popular way to dual boot, but with the advent of inexpensive drives, multi-booting using separate drives is so much easier. Here's an oldie but it worked for me way back when.

Dual Boot Windows 7 and OS X Snow Leopard Using Chameleon

Note: Step 2 in the above guide has been replaced by the UniBeast Installation Guide.

Update: I just happened upon this guide (YMMV) but I have not tried it. There are several to choose from on the Forum.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...9-beginners-guide-dual-boot-windows-os-x.html

Hey Stork. I just wanted to give you an update on my Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt freezing (previously posted as cdothackit). Still can't get any of my devices to work, but I was able to stop the system freeze by down grading the bios. Figured I'd stuff this information here, since this is the master thread for GA-Z77X-UP5 TH

F11 - Installed flawlessly, well almost. Multibeast did not FakeSMC automatically with DSDT Free option. System freezes every time a thunderbolt device is connected.
F08 - Furthest I could go back. System boots fine, no freeze on thunderbolt connection but no device is seen.
F09 - Same as F08.
F10 - Thunderbolt connection causes KP.
F12e - Beta bios, will not boot.

So now I settled on F08 and I'm attempting to get Clover running to see if a try UEFI boot would help with the Thunderbolt issue, although something peculiar just happened. As of my second downgrade to F08, I can no longer boot into my primary OSX install (I have two, stable and testing) and my USB drive with the install image is no longer being recognized at boot.

I'm going to reflash to F09, and then go for clover. I'll let you know if I get it working (I'll throw up a how-to about it as well).

So i'm running at the moment a modded version of 12a, i booted with clover, finally clover worked fine for me when i ran multibeast before...At the moment i think, it could be the bios or fakesmc which cause me the problems. I have as well with clover, when i do a cold boot, i get a freeze, as well when i put in the thunderbolt to firewireadapter when osx is up and running, but i know we dont have hot swap capability...I dont care, but i have still the freeze Problem with thunderbolt, with chimera, chameleon and clover...So Clover will not help, atleast didnt help me...So could it be, that we have hardware failures on our Board... But that would be with too many people...But i still couldnt work out, whats diffrent in our build than stork or boomr, which helped to disable wake on thunderbolt devices.

Edit: Now i disabled my GTX 650 TI, booted with hd4000 in the bios csm disabled, every setting uefi first, so i'm booting truly uefi now. BUT:D, when i do a cold boot with clover, the first boot, i DONT get a freeze, but no thunderbolt device is mounted. The second boot, everything is fine, but that it was as well in legacy mode, with chimera and chameleon...SO what that means? I dont know, probably anybody has an idea, but i'm pretty ****ed, is my motherboard ****ed? Even when i would change it, there are no up5 TH left, they're nearly sold out in the EU, in Amazon Germany there is one board left for 412 Euro's:clap:

Hi Stork,
I'm a hackintosh newb and your build has been very helpful in guiding my first build. I have similar components and I'm at the step where I've installed mountain lion 10.8.3 using multibeast 5.3 with your settings however, when I boot via the newly created mountain lion disk the screen is very distorted where only the top half is occupied with what it seems like bunches of welcome screens bunched together. The bottom half is just a black screen.

Just to let you know I've typed GraphicsEnabler=Yes "Graphics Mode"="<2460x1440x60>" in Chimera boot screen and now the entire screen is filled with bunched up welcome screens.

I've played with the settings on the monitor as well and doubled check all the bios settings of the motherboard. I am at a loss of what I'm doing wrong. Would you please shed some light on this?

First, you need to file out your Profile components (System == motherboard) and your signature information - motherboard / processor / graphics (card).:thumbup:

Second, if you are using a nVidia 600 series graphics card, you need GraphicsEnabler=No. If you are using HD4000 Intel Integrated Graphics, GraphicsEnabler=Yes (default). The graphics should support your resolution. However, you may have to borrow an older monitor to get your system running. You aren't using an Apple Cinema Display perchance?

Third, try booting with -v -x.

Finally, I'll away your systems description update so I can better narrow down your problem.

Aloha Stork,

Sorry for incomplete info. New at this posting thing. I'm postponing my purchase of a video card until I have a stable build so I am using the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics. I am also using a Viewsonic VP-2770 LED monitor thus the 2560x1440 injection. Although I am not sure of the refresh rates. If I just leave it at the 2560x1440 parameter, I'm left with the bunched up welcome screens at the top half of the monitor. If I have it between 50 and 60 the image takes up the entire screen but still end up with bunched up welcome screens.

I have also used the -v and -x boot methods and end up with the same results. It seems that the only change of the image itself is by changing the value of the refresh rates in the boot graphics parameter.

Do you think I should use Unibeast to reinstall mountain lion?

Thanks again for your help.

HD4000 should support your monitor's resolution. Are you using a Dual Link DVI cable? Try another monitor (borrow a friend's monitor for overnight)? If another monitor will support 1920x1200 or 1920x 1080 resolutions, then your monitor might not be compatible with your motherboard & BIOS. I had this problem with the GA-Z77-DS3H and my 23" Apple Cinema Display.

Since I'm out of guesses (I don't have a 27" monitor with that resolution), I recommend you post your problem in the the Graphics forum section. http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/

Just happened to think. I tested the HD4000 using the Thunderbolt (miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter) MDP2 port in addition to the motherboard DVI connector. Have you tried the Thunderbolt adapter method? Now, that might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back