Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Updated Catalina 10.15.3, asus rog strix z390-i, rx 5700 xt, EFI and Config

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also noticed that having HDMI and DP plugged in seems to cause a severe stutter in visuals on the screen. Is that known behavior? It was doing it with 10.15.2 and 10.15.3. I've since removed the HDMI cable and am just using DP.

I'm also getting a GPT error from the mobo on boot. I tried the "auto recover" thing the ASUS BIOS recommended. I didn't notice the visual stuttering until then switching this. I switched it back to "local" and noticed no difference; still stuttering.

The drive was originally in a different PC with the windows boot partition too... same mobo, just the ATX vs the mini ITX. However, I've had the EFI on this drive since day one. So, I'm not really sure if what I have done is causing problems -- or if HMDI and DP just can't be used simultaneously. I don't remember testing that previously.

I'll look into the GPT error more if the HDMI issue is known.

I've only had moderate luck with HDMI in macOS. If you must use HDMI, make sure you use a high quality cable. But even then, behavior may be erratic...

Why is "GPT error from the mobo"? What do you mean switch back to local?

Are you connecting HDMI to your video card or your motherboard??

Don't I need to do a few things to make icloud and messages work correctly?

I assumed that you already did that... If you haven't generated a new serial and confirmed it's clean, you must do that.

I've attached pictures of the error since that will be more beneficial than me trying to explain it. Ultimately, I get this error that gates the boot process, but if I enter setup and quit setup immediately, the computer boots just fine. It's just an annoyance at this point and doesn't appear to affect performance. If there's an easy fix, I'd certainly do it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 82
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
I've attached pictures of the error since that will be more beneficial than me trying to explain it. Ultimately, I get this error that gates the boot process, but if I enter setup and quit setup immediately, the computer boots just fine. It's just an annoyance at this point and doesn't appear to affect performance. If there's an easy fix, I'd certainly do it.

Your drives should be formatted as GUID, not GPT. BIOS setting should be UEFI only.

I've found a way to disable the error. Seems erroneous since the drive was formatted as GUID in macOS. I end up doing clean installs often enough that I'll probably wipe and redo it eventually anyways. That's just not a project for today. :)

Thanks, @pastrychef

Hi everyone! I hope you're well. :) Pinging @pastrychef @nch107 @iDrakus @ModMike @Gigamaxx

I wanted to say thank you for the help you all gave me back in November. I was the guy with the bummer CPU that ended up costing us days of troubleshooting. I'm starting the process of bumping my build up to 10.15.3 and was hoping to get your advice on that.

I never did get to the point where I was confident enough in my EFI to share it.

To jog your memory: I started with modmike's EFI - spoiler - everything should've worked there, but didn't because of my bad CPU. We spent the next several days working on a fresh EFI for my build. Here's a link to the thread with the last EFI we built:

This was right before iDrakus chimed in saying that Modmike's EFI worked with his build after updating a couple kexts. That's when I went down the hardware rabbit hole and found out that it was my 9700k - it was the very first production run and a year old last November. I don't know this to be factual, but I've read early 9700k have had issues.

Here's iDrakus' updated version of modmike's EFI:

I think I ended up using that because we swapped it out during testing. When I swapped the CPU and had things working, I walked away. Ha! I don't think I'm running the EFI we built, but I'd like to change that.

Quick recap of pertinent info:

asus rog strix z390-e
RX 5700 XT

We had decided to set it up as iMac 19,1 with the iGPU enabled based on iDrakus' feedback.

I added an unnecessary layer of complexity by trying to have an Nvidia card in the computer at the same time - it didn't see to cause any problems, but I put together a different PC for gaming. This is just going to be a dedicated Mac without the need for dual boot. I snagged an external drive and did a carbon copy cloner backup... so I'm ready to break things. :)

1 - Are you aware of a working EFI for macOS 10.15.3 and my hardware yet? I don't have to start fresh, but I like clean and stable stuff. :)
2 - Would you be willing to work with me on the EFI again to get everything as up-to-date as possible?
3 - I'm always an advocate for starting clean, or even with the EFI that we worked on (because it started clean), and going from there, yes?
4 - I assume there's been significant changes since November, but I could be wrong. Where should I start to update my EFI?
5 - Any stability issues with 10.15.3? Does it seem like it's worth putting in the effort to get there right now?
6 - I'm currently on 10.15.1. Can I go straight to 10.15.3 with the updated EFI, or are there other steps?

I would really like to do an updated post with my build and this EFI. I'm sorry I didn't get to that point last time. I plan to eventually do a YouTube video showing off the build - and I'd like to link back here because this community is awesome.

On a related note: can we change my username to @burlimonster? That's the name of my YouTube stuff, so I'd love for it to match.

Thank you again, pastrychef et al. I appreciate all of you and the kindness you show to the community!!!

Burlimonster (piano08man)
can you share your EFI ?
and bios settings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back