Contribute
Register

Updated 2013-08-16: MacMan's Haswell Test Build: Core i7-4770K + GA-Z87X-UD5H

Status
Not open for further replies.
MacMan's Haswell Test Build: Core i7-4770K + GA-Z87X-UD3H

Geez, you make it all sound like it is super complicated and special to install Mac OS in a PC. It is perfectly doable since the Tiger and the first darwin bootloaders and it has only become easier and easier since then. There has never been an Intel architecture since the original Core that was even a challenge and definitely not after a few weeks of introduction.

Apple is sticking with Intel, it has already released a Haswell laptop, there is no reason to think it will not work.

I can't comment on ALL the boards as i have not scrutinized them all. The UD3H appears completely compatible, as does the UD5H.

I have not seen the 802.11ac broadcom chipset used in the new air in any retails products yet. That will surely be available in the near-ish future. For now the rosewill or tplink that have been documented on the forum are the best bet.

Out of curiosity, what on earth could be the "other reasons" that you must have haswell vs IVB?

good luck,
g\

Awesome, i will either keep the MX-D3H that i ordered arriving tomorrow in the mail or get the UD3H and i will also keep the tplink card that i also ordered as i do not think i need more speed than it offers or willing to pay more for a networking card since it seems that it will be much more expensive, also i can not get the rosewill because i live in Europe.

Have you personally used this card? it has some awful reviews, do you have first hand experience with it?

The other reasons is that i need the HD4600 graphics performance for some applications that will be long to explain here, i need the Z87 motherboard features and like the motherboards and platform much more than Ivy's, i have bought an overkill PSU already just because it is Haswell compatible, and because of its better resale value because i could dump the system in ebay by the end of the year and i do not want it to be last-gen, there are some more but this thread is not appropriate to discuss them further.

Apple is sticking with Intel, it has already released a Haswell laptop, there is no reason to think it will not work.

It is not a question of if it will work to some degree, but there is serious question as to which features and components will work, to what degree, and when. Maybe some people don't care that they are forgoing power management, or that there are 3 useless video connectors on their motherboard, etc. But for many users that is important.

Further i would remind you that the hacint0sh process is so easy only because some very intelligent, dedicated people have developed tools that actually do some very difficult and complicated things. They figured out how to work out some complicated problems and developed tools that make it very easy for you and I to build a hacint0sh. Don't let the facade of easy hacking tools fool you into thinking a hacint0sh is a simple thing.

Who on earth is suggesting that Apple is not sticking with intel?

Anyway i am going to refrain from further comment. I think the thread is getting off track and i would like to preserve this space for those who have actual info to report about installing OS X on a haswell based system.

g\

My GA-Z87-HD3 and i7-4770 are on the way. Can't wait to hack some kernel to get it at least booting. And to see what kind of support the future holds :)

Any ideas why the sources of 10.8.4 haven't been released yet?

I will build a pretty beastly hackintosh this year and I'm planning on doing a Haswell build.
I'm sure I'll get an i7-4770k and an Asus GTX 770, but my choice of motherboard is still uncertain (my first choice was the GA-Z87X-UD3H).
Well, I guess I'll have to wait until 10.9 comes out and the pros in the hackintosh community have found out which motherboards are the most compatible.

I will build a pretty beastly hackintosh this year and I'm planning on doing a Haswell build.
I'm sure I'll get an i7-4770k and an Asus GTX 770, but my choice of motherboard is still uncertain (my first choice was the GA-Z87X-UD3H).
Well, I guess I'll have to wait until 10.9 comes out and the pros in the hackintosh community have found out which motherboards are the most compatible.

...Me too, I'm pretty curious about the upcoming Buyers Guide of June...

Reminder about Forum Rules:

Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software. The NDA also prohibits the distribution of any component contained within these releases. There will be no discussion of installing, help with installing or documenting the use of this type of software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban.

I can see why you want to wait for the release of the 10.8.4 source, in order to have the most recent kernel ready.

However - without being a pro in this field or anything - i'm guessing that the approach of patching the 10.8.4 kernel and the 10.8.3 kernel are pretty similar. Hence - would it be possible to patch the 10.8.3 kernel and release Uni / Multibeast with 10.8.3 - so we can at least get our machines up and running? :)

I hope this isn't against the rules of this forum (no pun intended) but i found this blog, containing some info about patching the 10.8.3 kernel...
http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/06/11/xnu-10-8-3-haswell-compatibility/

Again - No pun intended - i'm totally new to this forum, and i'm not attempting to offend anyone!

jenzen,

I am also aware of that blog and I dare say that the TonyMac team are as well. The blogger in question is a forum member and his family are well known within the Hackintosh community for the valuable contribution that they make.

There are a number of people out in the real world who have Haswell hacks up and running, fault finding and improvements are steadily being made. There needs to be a short period of product testing for durability of builds before TonyMacx86 releases information and software compatibility for those of us with less technical coding skill. They take seriously recommendations of compatible components. Little point in jumping the gun as those eager to buy may later have expensive problems due to rushing the process. I am sure that we will have a Haswell buyers guide very soon. Lets take a little time in preparing the way for others to get it right. Member of the public could order the new Apple hardware only 4 days ago.

We will get further information soon enough, we just require a little patience in these exciting times.

Adrian B

Hi Adrian

That seems perfectly fair, and within reason. Allready you hereby told me that something is happening behind the scenes.

I guess what i'm really after is some more frequent updates regarding the status and progress of Haswell compatibility. But i guess that is closed country for developers only.

Anyway - your post helped in the sense that i now know that some kind of testing is under way, and that is the current status. That is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back