Contribute
Register

Update on CustoMac Pro 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
X58 is the platform that keeps on giving. Im still running the good old GA-X58A-UD3R.

However, 5 years later I was able to snag a XEON X5650 6 CORE on eBay for $60 (That used to be a $1000 chip). That baby can be overlocked to 4Ghz+ and combined with a SSD (My base system is on a Samsung 840 Pro) this 5-year old system is faster than many OC Haswell 4-core (like 4790K), and gives my real iMac 2014 a run for its money.

:thumbup::thumbup:

X58 is the platform that keeps on giving. Im still running the good old GA-X58A-UD3R.

However, 5 years later I was able to snag a XEON X5650 6 CORE on eBay for $60 (That used to be a $1000 chip). That baby can be overlocked to 4Ghz+ and combined with a SSD (My base system is on a Samsung 840 Pro) this 5-year old system is faster than many OC Haswell 4-core (like 4790K), and gives my real iMac 2014 a run for its money.

oQiSie2.png

Hi, I'd be interested in doing the same upgrade, just a question: I have a MSI x58 pro-E mobo and an i7 920 with an edited DSDT, should I edit it again for the new processor?

Thanks a lot

For post installation, use MultiBeast's UserDSDT with the DSDT from the DSDT Database, and for audio, network, bootloader, and customization. For the ATI card, you can use GraphicsEnabler=Yes or No. NOTE: For OS X Yosemite, X58 and 6 Series AWARD BIOS systems (including this one) require 10.9.5 AppleACPIPlatform Rollback.

MultiBeast Settings:
View attachment 121916
Related:
Update on Ivy Bridge CustoMac Mini 2012
Update on Sandy Bridge CustoMac Mini 2011

The only difference in mine is Nvidia's video card (works great) and board itself is FA sub revision.
When I use DSDT for this mobo I loose network drivers (even though they worked out of the box), and it doesn't help getting Audio either.
Am I supposed to have Audio after DSDT install ? And am I supposed to lose network (LAN) driver ?

And I have one more question - is it normal to have keyboard assigning strokes while in boot flag dialog ?
Sometimes I can't get capital letters, sometimes it goes backward and deleting letters I already wrote in, really frustrating.

Anyways thanks a lot !
I really apologize if these questions are not meant to be asked here, but since this is a guide, someone else might have similar problem.
Thanks

kissandtellMAC74,

Read this post: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/

Here is some info for those who want to upgrade their CustoMac Pro 2010 with native SATA 3, USB 3, WiFi+Blutooth: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...sata-3-wifi-bluetooth-older-motherboards.html

Thank you Mareko, suggestions like that are always welcome to learn something new, but sometime a simple yes or no would be even more apprecciated to save a lot of time. My mobo is a MSI, not a GIGABYTE, so no DSDT archive is available; my custom DSDT was edited for me by a friend and it works flawlessly with an i7 920. Now, should I make some futher edits to make it work with a XEON processor? If yes I'll go to read and learn, if no I'll be very happy to hear it and spend my time on ebay loking for that 6 cores beast! :-D

thanks again

Thank you Mareko, suggestions like that are always welcome to learn something new, but sometime a simple yes or no would be even more apprecciated to save a lot of time. My mobo is a MSI, not a GIGABYTE, so no DSDT archive is available; my custom DSDT was edited for me by a friend and it works flawlessly with an i7 920. Now, should I make some futher edits to make it work with a XEON processor? If yes I'll go to read and learn, if no I'll be very happy to hear it and spend my time on ebay loking for that 6 cores beast! :-D

thanks again

DSDT modifications from this post can be used with any X58 motherboard:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/

If you want to be able to use any six core socket 1366 CPU:

1. Check if your BIOS version fully supports six core CPUs.
If it doesn’t, update your BIOS, then (if you use Chameleon/Chimera)
generate new/clean DSDT.aml and apply necessary edits.
2. Make sure that GenerateCStates=Yes and GeneratePStates=Yes

That is all.

Note: To generate new/clean DSDT.aml reboot without a DSDT.aml file present, only using fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (to not Kernel Panic), ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext (to not reset the CMOS), and then use the DSDTSE application to extract the dsdt.dsl and compile it into DSDT.aml. You can also use DSDTSE to apply necessary edits.

If you don't like to bother with creating and editing DSDT, switch to Clover bootloader.
Clover will do it for you. Discussed here DSDT free configuration from "VirusX" will also work with your motherboard: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...stall-on-gigabyte-mobos/page-218#entry2039477

DSDT modifications in this post can be used with any X58 motherboard:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...a-dsdt-native-power-management-modifications/

If you want to be able to use any six core socket 1366 CPU:

1. Check if your BIOS version fully supports six core CPUs.
If it doesn’t, update your BIOS, then (if you use Chameleon/Chimera)
generate new/clean DSDT.aml and apply necessary edits.
2. Make sure that GenerateCStates=Yes and GeneratePStates=Yes

That is all.

Note: To generate new/clean DSDT.aml reboot without a DSDT.aml file present, only using fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (to not Kernel Panic), ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext (to not reset the CMOS), and then use the DSDTSE application to extract the dsdt.dsl and compile it into DSDT.aml. You can also use DSDTSE to apply necessary edits.

If you don't like to bother with creating and editing DSDT, switch to Clover bootloader.
Clover will do it for you. Discussed here DSDT free method from "VirusX" will also work with your motherboard: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...stall-on-gigabyte-mobos/page-218#entry2039477

let's suppose that my mobo supports XEON processors without any further BIOS update, do XEON processors need different DSDT edits than an i7 920? And in case, which ones?

let's suppose that my mobo supports XEON processors without any further BIOS update, do XEON processors need different DSDT edits than an i7 920? And in case, which ones?

You don't need to edit DSDT for different processor. CPU detection and its CStates, PStates injection is done automatically by bootloader with GenerateCStates=Yes and GeneratePStates=Yes keys.
Just make sure that your BIOS version fully supports six core CPUs.

You don't need to edit DSDT for different processor. CPU detection and its CStates, PStates injection is done automatically by bootloader with GenerateCStates=Yes and GeneratePStates=Yes keys.
Just make sure that your BIOS version fully supports six core CPUs.

that's the answer I was looking for, thank you very much

Stork said:
For post installation, use MultiBeast's UserDSDT with the DSDT from the DSDT Database, and for audio, network, bootloader, and customization. For the ATI card, you can use GraphicsEnabler=Yes or No. NOTE: For OS X Yosemite, X58 and 6 Series AWARD BIOS systems (including this one) require 10.9.5 AppleACPIPlatform Rollback.

I'm having issues getting my audio to work. I've had this machine since 2010 and it's never been an issues. Even when I select the ALC889 driver from Multicast 7.2, my audio doesn't work. There aren't even any outputs that appear in the "Sound" section of System Preferences.

I've attached a couple of screenshots in the hope that it helps.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 10.12.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 10.12.35 PM.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 208
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 10.15.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-14 at 10.15.39 PM.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 208
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back