Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody !
I'm blocked on this screen after boot on "macOS install on ..." with APFS or HFS+ method.
Somebody can help me please ?

Anyone who is stuck with the black Apple logo with the revolving loading symbol
I had the same problem. Fiddled around with all kinds of settings, but in the end the only thing that helped was to remove my graphics card, plug my monitor into the onboard HDMI and on boot set the GUI to load the Intel graphics drivers.

After that the install went off without a hitch. Plugged graphics card back in afterwards, updated NVIDIA drivers and voi la!

Last edited:
I have the same boot option on the Clover Bootloader screen. I posted earlier with the pic.
Does anyone has an answer for this?

I had the same problem. Fiddled around with all kinds of settings, but in the end the only thing that helped was to remove my graphics card, plug my monitor into the onboard HDMI and on boot set the GUI to load the Intel graphics drivers.

After that the install went off without a hitch. Plugged graphics card back in afterwards, updated NVIDIA drivers and voi la!
Thanks to your answer, I'll test your method :)

So, prepped as instructed to the letter (updated Lilu, put Face SMC.kext in Clover/Kexts/Other)... computer restarted and I got a install screen that said High Sierra was installing, and that it would take about 45 minutes. All appeared to be going well. Then the computer restarted and I got "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key." Any way out of this, or am I in clean install territory now?

[Update: I used the case switch to cut the power supply and restarted... that got me back into Clover where I was able to re-select Install macOS, and the install screen came up again. This time, the computer did NOT restart, and the install appears to be underway. Fingers crossed.]

Last edited:

Thank you i will try this today

I was planning to wait a month or two to upgrade, but as usual I couldn't help myself and the app store download was extremely quick as opposed to the usual 2-3 hours when a new Mac OS is released so I went for it last night.

Running very conventional hardware (B75 motherboard/GTX 960/SATA SSD) and sticking to HFS+ I can say that for me the upgrade was surprisingly smooth. I upgraded clover to the latest version using their installer and then started the upgrade from a terminal window as per the instructions here.

Everything seems to be working perfectly, including Office 2011 (which MS has been threatening will no longer start) and I noticed that my IOGear GBU521 bluetooth dongle seems to no longer need the firmware patch kext in order to be able to automatically switch between HFP/A2DP profiles automatically which is nice.

Seems like a nice stable release overall, with the new metal graphics seem a bit sharper too.

Done, all is working perfect.

Just one point that I forgot. For me apfs.efi goes to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 because just finished clover couldn't see my OSX installed boot disk but clover was working properly because it showed windows boot disk. I fixed it copying apfs.efi to that browser.

After that I installed nvidia web drivers and sound ALC and ready!!:headbang:

I've been doing this for a while, but I'm always nervous about a major update, so I read installation guides very carefully and make sure that "yep, I understand that" for each step before I start.

Step 2 of the OP (put kexts into the right place) has me scratching my head a tiny bit. I'm running Sierra just fine. Why would I need to put kexts into /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other/? They're already in there.

Now I feel like there's some fundamental something about Clover that I'm not getting and I've just been luckily making this work for years.

edit: Never mind. There was something fundamental about Clover that I didn't get. I now understand how the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/ directory works. Carry on.

Last edited:
Success! Updated NVIDIA drivers and ran Toleda's audio script, and sound is working.

Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.38.42 AM.png

HOWEVER, my external USB backup drive is NOT mounting. Can't access it through Disk Utility or anything. Any thoughts? Also, do I need to keep Fake SMC in Clover/Kexts/Other if it's already in S/L/E?

[Update #2: The external HD just popped up on its own. Everything now appears to be working perfectly.]

Last edited:
I successfully upgraded from 10.11 to 10.13 using the terse instructions. No issues at all. Updated Clover, added in updated FakeSMC in other/, the APFS EFI driver, and the Intel 1000e driver. After booting re-enabled audio with the audio_cloverALC-130 shell script.

My system specs are GA-Z97X-UD5H / i7 4790K / 32GB / GTX 760, the same hardware as in my original 10.9 "success" post back in the day.

Some random observations so far:
  • Inexplicably, I had to remove / re-insert my Bluetooth adapter for the Magic Trackpad to come back up after applying some updates. That issue has not manifested through subsequent reboots, so I guess it was a one-time anomaly
  • The upgrade re-enabled system sleep, so I discovered that sleep/wake is working fine
  • The GTX 760 works with the native OS X drivers, so I am not using the web drivers at all
*Edited to add vanity picture. :)

OSX About 10.13.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back