Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you explain how to drop MATS , I don't see an option for it in clover latest version ?
At the Clover boot menu, under Options > ACPI patching -> Tables dropping - check MATS
Good luck

Absolutely terrible luck here. Was getting ready to install with hfs+ still there, it restarts and none of my usb works. Can’t even get into bios! So clover boots the install verbose mode and then I get usb/keyboard/mouse but never boots fully, I get an apple logo for a split second then looks like it restarts/shutdown verbose prompts. I can’t even type kernel flags to run safe mode. I pop out my cmos battery to finally get usb upon boot, reset my settings in bios and then once again, no usb on boot until after a drive is booting via clover. Anyone else getting this???? I can’t even revert to using Sierra because the default selection when clover boots is the install, can’t select anything because usb doesn’t work until it boots. Mobo: ga-z170-hd3

Update: Figured it out (kinda). Unplugged other USBs until the keyboard started working at boot, disabled iGPU (so only discrete GPU is active) in BIOS; didn't work right after the next boot, but after 15 minutes (dunno why) the install actually booted. Then it aborted install 2 times after like 5 minutes in. I would boot back to normal sierra to still use the computer, then tried for the 3rd time and it installed. Lilu and nvidiagraphicsfixup kexts in "other folder" for nvidia support (after new nvidia web drivers installed). Everything seems okay now. Still on HFS+ for now... Don't know why installation failed then worked after so many boots, but I'll take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot TonyMacx86, alternative method HFS+ worked perfect for me.

Method 1 got stuck after following message during install (around +/- 40% done):

Architecture couldn't be recognized! PMC_BOOT_0 = <ptr>, PMC_BOOT_42 = 0x00000012

Then I had some unexpected additional work: when putting back my clone backup copy (made via Acronis True Image Home 64 and perfectly bootable) I got at boot only this message (even before the Clover boot manager screen):

boot0af: error

Since on this forum Carbon Copy Cloner is advised, I installed in OS X Sierra (the remaing working backup copy on a slow 5400 rpm HDD), erased the Samsung 840 SSD and 'cloned' OS X Sierra from the backup HDD to Samsung SSD. Well, then I found out that CCC does not make a real 'as is' clone (and confirmed on the forum here) but only a copy of the OS X partition. Bye bye EFI partition... So I had to boot via Clover boot manager on USB, to get back in Sierra.
There I followed Method 1 of this topic: install latest clover package and copy the afps.efi. Again something new learned as beginner; Clover, noob proof as it is, detects the lack of an EFI partition and then simply creates a boot file (boot) in the OS X partition. Always thaught EFI partition is mandatory. So boot0af error solved by coincidence and as from today, no EFI partition anymore.

Another try with a High Sierra installation stopped this time, but at another point halfway the installation process:
kextd stall, 'AppleACPICPU'.

UPDATE: printscreen shows that this point it was stuck was the same as the previous, but with some additional information now:

View attachment 281558

I learned from another forum (something with insane and mac) that this has something to do with APFS so, another try but this time via Method 2, the HFS+ installation. This went perfectly smooth and fast, 30 minutes later and only with the additional installation of the NVidia webdrivers, every thing works fine.

Thanks a lot to Tonymacx86 for this tutorial (and the clear terminal script), and the other participants of this thread and the forum!

UPDATE: inserted my Windows 10 disk (hot swap Crucial SSD). Booting in Windows 10 via Clover boot manager works fine, but then booting in High Sierra brings up the (repeating) message;
Disk 1 I/O error

I pull out the (hot swap type) Windows disk and within seconds High Sierra is up and running. Any suggestions are of certainly appreciated since this is new.

I had the same issues with Method 1, getting stuck at the "gIOScreenLockState" line. After like 3 hours of trying many things like removing GPU, switching PCI cards around, removing RAM sticks etc. I ended up just giving up. I don't really feel like installing HFS+ as using the new Apple File System is really the only point in upgrading for me. Did anyone else get this working after being stuck on this line?

Last edited:
I found a solution to "Install MacOS" not showing up in Clover. You may need to revert the drive from "Core Storage".
(sudo diskutil cs revert <UUID>)

I did that and it showed up and I've got a successful install of High Sierra with APFS on my SSD.
Damn I though this was my fix but the partition that is says "Apple_CoreStorage" doesn't have a UUID. Only the EFI and Recovery HD partitions have UUID. Any ideas?

EDIT: Ah I was looking under SATA not Storage. Got it now but hanging at the Apple Boot logo when I select Install MacOS from clover... will continue to work at this. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Hey, Guys,

I updated to High Sierra using the app store and using ACPI mats settings in clover like this thread said it installed fine. Got audio working and the new Nvidia drivers work like a charm. The only issue I have is boot takes like 3-4 min every time. I went through this entire thread and it was asked like 3 times no one seems to notice it. Does anyone know what it is?

Hey, Guys,

I updated to High Sierra using the app store and using ACPI mats settings in clover like this thread said it installed fine. Got audio working and the new Nvidia drivers work like a charm. The only issue I have is boot takes like 3-4 min every time. I went through this entire thread and it was asked like 3 times no one seems to notice it. Does anyone know what it is?

I had this problem too. It was relate to TRIM. I had an old kext called TrimEnabler that was causing it. Trim could be the problem.

I think it's an issue with the Cuda Driver, on Nvidia's site they state that 9.0.197 is for 10.12

I got cuda acceleration to work by uninstalling 9.0.197 by delete the following (if present):

/System/Library/Extensions/CUDA.kext
/Library/Frameworks/CUDA.framework
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.nvidia.CUDASoftwareUpdate.plist
/Library/PreferencePanes/CUDA/Preferences.prefPane
/System/Library/StartupItems/CUDA/

And then I installed 8.0.90 which still nags you to update but it works... until they fix this

Thank you. I will try your solution.

I am also running into this issue. I had it working on Sierra.
Just an update that I deleted my ethernet from network and also deleted systemconfuguration folder from Library/preference and rebooted and now both imessage and FaceTime working. Mission accomplished. Everything works now.

I had this problem too. It was relate to TRIM. I had an old kext called TrimEnabler that was causing it. Trim could be the problem.
I don't have TrimEnabler. But you could be on to something. It could be one of my old kexts causing issues. I will have to go through them and see what one it could be.

I don't have TrimEnabler. But you could be on to something. It could be one of my old kexts causing issues. I will have to go through them and see what one it could be.

I found it in System/L/E - check Library/Extensions too . I had a lot of junk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back