Contribute
Register

Update Directly to macOS High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSD with the mac OS is APFS

Thanks a lot TonyMacx86, alternative method HFS+ worked perfect for me.

Method 1 got stuck after following message during install (around +/- 40% done):

Architecture couldn't be recognized! PMC_BOOT_0 = <ptr>, PMC_BOOT_42 = 0x00000012

Then I had some unexpected additional work: when putting back my clone backup copy (made via Acronis True Image Home 64 and perfectly bootable) I got at boot only this message (even before the Clover boot manager screen):

boot0af: error

Since on this forum Carbon Copy Cloner is advised, I installed in OS X Sierra (the remaing working backup copy on a slow 5400 rpm HDD), erased the Samsung 840 SSD and 'cloned' OS X Sierra from the backup HDD to Samsung SSD. Well, then I found out that CCC does not make a real 'as is' clone (and confirmed on the forum here) but only a copy of the OS X partition. Bye bye EFI partition... So I had to boot via Clover boot manager on USB, to get back in Sierra.
There I followed Method 1 of this topic: install latest clover package and copy the afps.efi. Again something new learned as beginner; Clover, noob proof as it is, detects the lack of an EFI partition and then simply creates a boot file (boot) in the OS X partition. Always thaught EFI partition is mandatory. So boot0af error solved by coincidence and as from today, no EFI partition anymore.

Another try with a High Sierra installation stopped this time, but at another point halfway the installation process:
kextd stall, 'AppleACPICPU'.

UPDATE: printscreen shows that this point it was stuck was the same as the previous, but with some additional information now:

20170928_173941_HDR.jpg

I learned from another forum (something with insane and mac) that this has something to do with APFS so, another try but this time via Method 2, the HFS+ installation. This went perfectly smooth and fast, 30 minutes later and only with the additional installation of the NVidia webdrivers, every thing works fine.

Thanks a lot to Tonymacx86 for this tutorial (and the clear terminal script), and the other participants of this thread and the forum!

UPDATE: inserted my Windows 10 disk (hot swap Crucial SSD). Booting in Windows 10 via Clover boot manager works fine, but then booting in High Sierra brings up the (repeating) message;
Disk 1 I/O error

I pull out the (hot swap type) Windows disk and within seconds High Sierra is up and running. Any suggestions are of certainly appreciated since this is new.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the brilliant information.
I've successfully updated directly from El Cap to High Sierra (APFS) smoothly. Everything's working, except iMessaging (not important).
After migrating my back up files, it stops at this, see img_0001. Try many attempt to recover, it stops at this, see 'recover', mouse doesn't move, wired keyboard doesn't work.
Any suggestions?
Always, many thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 183
  • recover.jpg
    recover.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 167
DPCI manager shows the following:
That looks like like you have no Accel. I'm assuming it also says "Metal supported: no" in your profiler.
Identifying & injecting the correct framebuffer is key, but I only have pre-R AMDs (Hamachi for my 7950s)

P.S. this might better suited for the gfx section

Anyone able to get the AMD R9 390 8gb working in High Sierra?
I have tried this method but it is not working for me. It did work flawlessly on Sierra though.
All I have is a black screen now. Once I connect the cable back to the IGP HDMI I have a picture again.
However, the strange thing is, that it is showing up just fine in the System Report.

Did you tried Lilu and WhateverGreen?

CCC does not make a real 'as is' clone
It's for macs which don't use EFI partitions in regular use, booting the backup from a complete Clover installation on another hard drive or USB drive should still work.
kextd stall, 'AppleACPICPU'.
Heard this error can be caused by an ACPI table named MATS. If you see it again try dropping that table in Clover options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back