Contribute
Register

UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC

The problem with this is that Apple doesn't allow the download of El Capitan if the End User has not previously downloaded it. They would have to purchase Lion or Mt. Lion and then download Sierra from the MAS.

This is a problem, is the system he's using stuck in leopard? Isn't there a way to buy lion, or yosemite still from apple? I thought Tony had a thread that directed you to the Apple site for older software versions?

This is a problem, is the system he's using stuck in leopard? Isn't there a way to buy lion, or yosemite still from apple? I thought Tony had a thread that directed you to the Apple site for older software versions?
Can't purchase Yosemite as they never sold it previously.
Link to Lion: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

ryanf247 can download Lion and install it on his MBP, the problem is that it is too old to run Sierra so he can't download that on his older MBP. That's why I said the best approach is to borrow someone else's newer Mac to dowload Sierra and make the installer.

This is all a complicated mess because we can't get iBoot to work with Skylake hardware. That throws a monkey wrench in the whole process. I believe Macman is working on a solution to this but it's not ready yet.

Last edited:
I bought a 2009 MacBook and loaded El Capitan ( apparently before the blockade) but it wouldn't load Sierra. I bought another for $150 US mid 2009 and now have Sierra on it. I gave the other away to my sister in law so she could FaceTime my wife. The ddr3 must be the cutoff requirement, the mid 2009 has it the older 2009 has ddr2.

As a bonus I got Mavericks, and Yosemite on the HDDs I pulled out of them.

I bought a 2009 MacBook and loaded El Capitan ( apparently before the blockade) but it wouldn't load Sierra. I bought another for $150 US mid 2009 and now have Sierra on it. I gave the other away to my sister in law so she could FaceTime my wife. The ddr3 must be the cutoff requirement, the mid 2009 has it the older 2009 has ddr2.
Yes, the late 2009 Macbook will work. The 2009 MBPro will not.

macOS Sierra requires one of the following Mac models and at least Lion installed.
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)

Last edited:
I installed macos sierra on my 1tb hard drive, but i figured it isn't for me.. How do I restore my hard drive to factory settings and normal partitions?

I installed macos sierra on my 1tb hard drive, but i figured it isn't for me.. How do I restore my hard drive to factory settings and normal partitions?
This is not a support thread. You'll need to post this question in a Post Installation > Support thread to get help.

Yes, the late 2009 Macbook will work. The 2009 MBP will not.

macOS Sierra requires one of the following Mac models and at least Lion installed.
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
For any one reading this and facing the same dilemma, here's a summary of one approach to getting Sierra if you have no access to a Mac and have Skylake (100 series) hardware.

1. Purchase a late 2009 Macbook that functions normally. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QQ8EKO/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
2. If it has Snow Leopard 10.6.8 installed, Purchase Lion (download) from Apple and upgrade the Macbook.
3. Now you are fully eligible for the free Sierra download and to make your Unibeast Installer.

If you can find one with Lion or a newer version of the Mac OS it saves you one step.
Don't need a Macbook long term ? Give it away to a friend or family member. Sell it locally
or on Ebay or Amazon. Add it to your brand new Mac Museum collection.

Can't purchase Yosemite as they never sold it previously.
Link to Lion: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

ryanf247 can download Lion and install it on his MBP, the problem is that it is too old to run Sierra so he can't download that on his older MBP. That's why I said the best approach is to borrow someone else's newer Mac to dowload Sierra and make the installer.

This is all a complicated mess because we can't get iBoot to work with Skylake hardware. That throws a monkey wrench in the whole process. I believe Macman is working on a solution to this but it's not ready yet.

Thanks trs96,

I'll have to give that a try after this weekend.
But I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions and let you guys know the progress.
Happy Holidays!

i tried with a 32GB USB but when I click continue it says: "Make sure neither 'OS X Install ESD' or 'OS X Base System' are mounted on your drive". what can I do?

I was having that problem. When I went into Disk Utility, it showed one of them as mounted. I ejected it, and was able to continue the process of installing on the USB Drive.

Back