Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo Y700
CPU
i7-6700HQ
Graphics
GTX 960M - HD 530
While trying to install Mojave, I formatted an empty FAT32 partition as HFS+, but when trying to install to it, it does not appear as a selectable location and I am unable to mount it. I exited the installer, but after doing so, I am now unable to boot my existing Windows 10 or Linux distros. They do not appear in Clover and I cannot reach grub. In addition nothing appears in my boot menu in BIOS except when a USB is plugged in.

When I relaunched the installer from the USB, I can see my other OSs and partitions in disk utility. So I suspect (and hope) they are still in tact. I believe something may have happened to my EFI partition which I have a backup of that I created with dd in Linux.

I tried to use a bootable USB with Manjaro Linux on it, but when I attempt to boot it, it says "unknown filesystem" and leaves me at a 'grub rescue' prompt.

My priorities are to:

1. Boot into windows if possible and create an image, if I cannot boot into it, at least backup some files from that partition.

2. Continue installing Mojave

Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: Is it possible my entire drive was converted to APFS?

Last edited:
The one on my system or the one on my bootable USB?

Here is the one from the USB I used. I'm not sure how I can post the one from my system as I can't boot anything.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 77
Okay, I was finally able to boot into a linux image. My partitions are intact, I can mount them and see the files, etc... It looks like the drive hasn't been put into an APFS container, but that the EFI partition has been destroyed as I first suspected.

Okay, I was finally able to boot into a linux image. My partitions are intact, I can mount them and see the files, etc... It looks like the drive hasn't been put into an APFS container, but that the EFI partition has been destroyed as I first suspected.

View attachment 386462
i think the efi should be at the start of the disk

Well, originally I had a 100 MB EFI partition which is now that unallocated space between sda1 and sda2. I had created another EFI parition which I am intending to use for Clover and macOS (sda8) which is labeled as Clover EFI partition at 500MB.

Well, originally I had a 100 MB EFI partition which is now that unallocated space between sda1 and sda2. I had created another EFI parition which I am intending to use for Clover and macOS (sda8) which is labeled as Clover EFI partition at 500MB.
best to have resized the 100mb one to 200mb or so

That may be, but I'm not able to go that route. Do you know why that 100 MB EFI partition was destoryed?

don't touch the EFI partition, when you are using macOS to format the drive, it will create a 200MB FAT EFI partition automatically.

normally EFI system partition (ESP) is the first partition, with the name EFI, size 200MB
Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Seagate                 499.8 GB   disk0s2

You mean it will create its own 200MB EFI partition separate from the 100MB one being used for Windows and Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back