Contribute
Register

Unable to directly update via appstore (No clover boot option after restart)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're booting the installer? Or something else?

So Im boot the macOS installer for High Sierra, I get to the physical installer, and I choose Macintosh HD (My Sierra drive) and it proceeds to upgrade, it says 2 minutes remaining and as oon as the 2 minutes remaining is done the installer will automatically go black and the computer restarts. Ive tried this while booting the USB installer via the USBs clover and my system drives clover but same results each time. I got rid of all the extra drivers in Drivers64UEFi excluding necessary ones and the apfs.efi , not sure what else to do now

So Im boot the macOS installer for High Sierra, I get to the physical installer, and I choose Macintosh HD (My Sierra drive) and it proceeds to upgrade, it says 2 minutes remaining and as oon as the 2 minutes remaining is done the installer will automatically go black and the computer restarts. Ive tried this while booting the USB installer via the USBs clover and my system drives clover but same results each time. I got rid of all the extra drivers in Drivers64UEFi excluding necessary ones and the apfs.efi , not sure what else to do now

The installation process is multi-stage. The "Install macOS from ..." target must be booted (with your USB) several times until it goes away and you're left with only your upgraded/installed partition as a boot target. The number of times varies depending on whether you're converting to APFS or not.

If you can't boot your final result, you probably have something installed there from your previous setup that is not compatible. Do a fresh install if that is the case.

The installation process is multi-stage. The "Install macOS from ..." target must be booted (with your USB) several times until it goes away and you're left with only your upgraded/installed partition as a boot target. The number of times varies depending on whether you're converting to APFS or not.

If you can't boot your final result, you probably have something installed there from your previous setup that is not compatible. Do a fresh install if that is the case.

I thought that may be the case initially, however it keeps booting into a fresh installation and not continuing my initial installation. If that is the case a fresh installation may be what I need, what is the best way to recover the contents of this current installation and move it to my new one? eg files settings etc

what is the best way to recover the contents of this current installation and move it to my new one? eg files settings etc

Well, you should have a backup of important files prior to attempting any update.
But if the system can still be booted into 10.12, then do that, and collect your files.
Then fresh install... then restore files.
But if you can no longer boot your 10.12 install, and you have no backup, then remove the HDD/SSD from the laptop, connect to a working computer (USB adapter, for example), and recover/backup your files.

Well, you should have a backup of important files prior to attempting any update.
But if the system can still be booted into 10.12, then do that, and collect your files.
But if you can no longer boot your 10.12 install, and you have no backup, then remove the HDD/SSD from the laptop, connect to a working computer (USB adapter, for example), and recover/backup your files.

Ive got a time machine backup and the OS is still bootable so Ill just drag and drop the files onto an external hard drive, thanks for the help anywho rehab

Try without EmuVariable. It gave me fits until I removed it.

Try without EmuVariable. It gave me fits until I removed it.
Removed that too and it didnt help, what did strangely help surprisingly was making a new partition and installing MacOS clean on that, eventually it failed and somehow it had updated my Macintosh HD partition into High sierra? Strange way for it to work but I for one will not complain! Working on getting brightness and sleep working normally again now

Removed that too and it didnt help, what did strangely help surprisingly was making a new partition and installing MacOS clean on that, eventually it failed and somehow it had updated my Macintosh HD partition into High sierra? Strange way for it to work but I for one will not complain! Working on getting brightness and sleep working normally again now

Read here if you didn't want APFS:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...n-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/

Its cool Rehab, I wanted APFS so it worked out nicely. For now Im using a brightness slider app to have brightness working for now, I am using the old (but new) method of using an AppleBacklightInjector kext but thats not working at the moment, ill try rebuilding kext cache and see if it works after that.

The laptop does go to sleep however upon wake its as if the laptop has restarted, have you got any advice on how I could deal with that?

Its cool Rehab, I wanted APFS so it worked out nicely. For now Im using a brightness slider app to have brightness working for now, I am using the old (but new) method of using an AppleBacklightInjector kext but thats not working at the moment, ill try rebuilding kext cache and see if it works after that.

The laptop does go to sleep however upon wake its as if the laptop has restarted, have you got any advice on how I could deal with that?

Brightness working now after kext cache rebuild, not quite sure what to do about broken sleep though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back