Contribute
Register

Unable to Boot Post Yosemite/Multibeast Install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
Radeon 5450 PCIe 2GB
Having a hell of a time getting Yosemite to work.

I successfully completed an upgrade install a few days back. I ran Multibeast and everything seemed fine - minus the sound.

I also updated the computer to the latest NVIDA graphics drivers.

I did a restart and since then, I haven't been able to boot and keep getting the "No Root Device" found.

In an earlier attempt to reinstall Yosemite (one of the few occasions I was able to get into the Yosemite install), only the USB drive showed up as the install location.

This was the first sign something was amiss.

At first the computer would load and eventually give me the "no smoking" sign after boot.

Now I can't even get that far and eventually the screen goes black.

Thinking it could be a multi part problem involving my video card (using a DVI connection) and something amiss with the boot sequence.

I've read through hundreds of posts and tried many variables -v -x -f but nothing will let me get into Yosemite.

Attached is a screenshot of the latest error.

I also tried removing my 560Ti Video card and booting using the motherboards video. If trying to do a hard drive boot I get the no smoking sign. When trying to boot into the USB Yosemite install i get in but the screen is totally garbled.

Using the "GraphicsEnabler=Yes IPGEnabler=Yes" does not correct the issue

Using "-v -x -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1" i am able to get into the Yosemite install but the SSD Yosemite was earlier installed on is not listed as an install destination so I'm still at square one.

When doing "diskutil list" in Yosemite installer terminal the SSD drive (or my secondary Western Digital drive do not appear listed).

Any help is HUGELY appreciated!

20141126_122713.jpg

My interpretation:
You are having trouble booting and when you do you are not seeing your hard drives in Unibeast/OSX Install/Disc Utility.
Multiple hard drives do not fail simultaneously as a rule.
Motherboards rarely fail with behavior as you describe.
Check simple things like cable connections.
Can you boot to the UEFI screen and see your drives? I presume you understand how to set the UEFI for AHCI, boot order etc.
A failing power supply can initiate but not complete the boot process. If you can not solve your problem and can not troubleshoot a power supply it would be worth paying a computer shop to check it. If you have to replace the power supply you will not regret buying a better one.
A simple quick check is to try to boot with a Linux distro and see if you can read your drives and run the machine stably for a while. If so it is not likely a catastrophic hardware failure.
If you solve your issues the easiest thing is to restore your last stable configuration from Time Machine or other back-up.
Rather that "upgrade" to the pretty new Yosemite Icons try to install Yosemite first on a separate partition and solve the Multibeast settings first.

Thank you!

Thank you for the info and suggestions.

I went back through the settings for UEFI/Bios and noticed the HDD setting as AHCI was incorrect.

I revised that and was able to boot into Yosemite - hard drive is back.

Everything in good shape - just tweaking the sound and USB 3.0 and then I will be good to go.

Thank you!

Just got the sound working.

Sound Setting in Control Panel needed to be changed to Internal Speaker.

USB 3.0 here i come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back