Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H170N-WIFI
CPU
Core i5-6500
Graphics
Intel HD Graphic 530
I follow the "UniBeast: Install macOS Catalina on Any Supported Intel-based PC" guide and got stuck on step# 4: Intstall macOS Catalina. I have a Gigabyte H170n-WIFI motherboard. The bootable USB drive was created via UniBeast 10.3.0. However, I am getting the following system message when I try to boot from the USB Drive

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.

Any suggestion?

Last edited:
Hard to tell the cause of this one.
Could be BIOS settings.
Could be a missing bootloader.
Could be incorrect format of USB flash drive.
Could be larger than 32GB USB flash drive.

Hard to tell the cause of this one.
Could be BIOS settings.
I am able to manage the change in the following on BIOS. Other options listed in Step 3 are not available.
  1. Load Optimized Defaults
  2. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
  3. Set OS Type to Other OS
Could be a missing bootloader.
I follow all steps in Step 2 twice.
Could be incorrect format of USB flash drive.
I performed the following steps:
1. Click Erase button
2. For Name: type USB (You can rename it later)
3. For Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Could be larger than 32GB USB flash drive.
I used 32GB USB 3.0 Flash drive

I also have an MS Windows 10 Bootable USB 2.0 flash drive and I am able to boot from that drive to install Windows 10. That being said, I am suspecting if 'UniBeast 10.3.0' the cause of the issue.

Double-check your USB drive format. I thought I did it correctly as well - I needed to go to View -> Show All Devices and then be sure to format the entire USB stick using APFS. I mistakenly only reformatted the partition that was there by default. Make sure it is also set to GUID Partition Map.
There's a line in the instructions that says something about "in Disk Utility for Catalina you have to go to the View menu" or something similar.

I feel like this is a missing step from the Create USB instructions.

edit: I should clarify that the GUID Partition Map is missing from the Create Bootable USB instructions, not the View -> Show All Devices, which is definitely there.

Last edited:
Double-check your USB drive format. I thought I did it correctly as well - I needed to go to View -> Show All Devices and then be sure to format the entire USB stick using APFS. I mistakenly only reformatted the partition that was there by default. Make sure it is also set to GUID Partition Map.
There's a line in the instructions that says something about "in Disk Utility for Catalina you have to go to the View menu" or something similar.

I feel like this is a missing step from the Create USB instructions.

The boot-up issue has been resolved. The step I missed is "Note: in the Catalina version of Disk Utility, you must first select View / Show All Devices before you can see the USB drive there". Without this step, I cannot set 'Scheme' to GUID Partition Map.

1596651685416.png

I also tried your APFS suggestion with the following setting.
  • Format: APFS
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map
However, UniBeast 10.3.0 doesn't support it and display the error message "No Disk Available to Install On' UniBeast installation requires a HFS-partitioned removable disk with at least 7 GB free." Now, I can continue with STEP 4: Install macOS Catalina.

Another thing I forsee I will have trouble is Clover Package.
"Clover Note: UniBeast delivers basic bootloader support based on our testing on recommended CustoMac systems. For further bootloader customization, download and run the official Clover package. Advanced users may also compile Clover by downloading the full source."​

This note is not very clear what steps I need to do and the name of the file and extension I need to download. Anyway, this will be a different thread. Thanks, everyone!

The boot-up issue has been resolved. The step I missed is "Note: in the Catalina version of Disk Utility, you must first

I also tried your APFS suggestion with the following setting.
  • Format: APFS
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map

My bad. I formatted the install destination SSD as APFS, not the USB stick. I'm glad that the GUID Partition Map solved your problem. That's exactly what I ran into.

@jazzman16 Have you encounter this issue "Trying new Catalina Unibeast, no luck yet"?

I continue following the "UniBeast: Install macOS Catalina on Any Supported Intel-based PC" guide and stuck at Step 4 clover page. Nothing happens when I click on the Green icon (Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Catalina).

1596657895856.png

When I click on the 'External' HD icon, the Apple logo display with instaltion at 0% (image below from google, not actual image). Waiting 30 mins still 0%
1596658072926.png

The note below is not helpful at all and written 5 years ago.
" If you have issues reaching the installer, you can use spacebar on boot screen to enter alternate boot modes such as verbose and safe mode. For more instructions on entering boot flags see Clover Basics and Switching Advice."

try booting into verbose mode - that usually gives some sort of clue as to what is hanging up your installation. I think you can do that by pressing the spacebar. If not, you need to add a boot argument, which I think is under the boot options menu item. you need to add -v to set verbose mode.
Here's the guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back