Contribute
Register

Ultimate Hack Mini? (Using Intel Mobo DH61AG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
slowjin Mini
CPU
core i3-2105
Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
As of late, I have been obsessed with trying to build the smallest possible SB Hack Mini ever since Tony started his official post. While I sourced a mac mini look-a-like case from Viako, and from other posts in the forum, I have come to the conclusion that Intel's DH61AG mobo (but just based on a few successes I have read here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14644&hilit=Intel+82579V) will be a great candidate for the most compact hack mini.

This board has:

one full size mini pci-e
one half size mini pci-e
built in DC PSU (just need to add a 19V brick adapter)

My plan is to:

1. CPU: core i3 2105 or core i3 2125
2. RAM: 8GB of G. SKill or Corsair DDR3 1333
3. install mSATA SSD in the full size mini pci-e (not decided but there are Intel, OCZ and Kingston brands in various capacities)
4. install half size BCM94322MC wifi card (example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Broadcom...821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41475c4ddd)
5. install GELID Slim Silince CPU cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426028)
6. Optionally I could install another 2.5" SSD or notebook harddrive for data.

in a Viako ML55 case (55mm tall) that already has the DC jack built in.

So my questions are:

1. Has anybody successfully gotten Intel DH61AG motherboard to run with Lion?
2. Will there be any issues with Lion booting up from the mini PCI-e SSD?

Thanks all in advance for your input!

slowjin said:
As of late, I have been obsessed with trying to build the smallest possible SB Hack Mini ever since Tony started his official post. While I sourced a mac mini look-a-like case from Viako, and from other posts in the forum, I have come to the conclusion that Intel's DH61AG mobo (but just based on a few successes I have read here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14644&hilit=Intel+82579V) will be a great candidate for the most compact hack mini.

This board has:

one full size mini pci-e
one half size mini pci-e
built in DC PSU (just need to add a 19V brick adapter)

My plan is to:

1. CPU: core i3 2105 or core i3 2125
2. RAM: 8GB of G. SKill or Corsair DDR3 1333
3. install mSATA SSD in the full size mini pci-e (not decided but there are Intel, OCZ and Kingston brands in various capacities)
4. install half size BCM94322MC wifi card (example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Broadcom...821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41475c4ddd)
5. install GELID Slim Silince CPU cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426028)
6. Optionally I could install another 2.5" SSD or notebook harddrive for data.

in a Viako ML55 case (55mm tall) that already has the DC jack built in.

So my questions are:

1. Has anybody successfully gotten Intel DH61AG motherboard to run with Lion?
2. Will there be any issues with Lion booting up from the mini PCI-e SSD?

Thanks all in advance for your input!

I would suggest using a Gigabyte H61 motherboard as they are better supported here.

I see what you mean, the Intel Mini-ITX mobo has an edge : Mini-PCI ports, (which I was just thinking about :p ) which add the possibility of an inbuilt WiFi adapter

as for the DH61AG, I'M NOT sure of its components (Ethernet Controller, USB 3.0 Controller if any, and most importantly, Audio controller)

As I've noticed, most gigabyte motherboards contain the perfect components which are supported my the iBoot+Multibeast method (for ex, Realtek ALC8xx Audio, Renesas USB 3.0 controller, Realtek Gigabit LAN controller, all of which run without any hitches)

BTW, you could run WiFi using a USB WiFi adapter, like the ones in this thread :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23119

Good Luck! :thumbup:

@sonigaurav2006

The Intel board has ALC892, not sure about the USB, but LAN is definitely not Realtek that I know of, but there was at least one person who reported success with another Intel board with the same Intel LAN controller. I am trying to fit a mSATA SSD and a wifi card on this board but may resort to just getting the wifi card installed, but USB sounds like an easy alternative so the link. Gigabyte has announced a board very similar to the Intel board, but not available out in the market yet.

@Jamesbond007

Thanks for your recommendation. I think you suggested H67N on another one of my post. I do have a build started with the H67N but since I am trying to get a Hack Mini built, I am trying to do my due diligence to see if there is a way to have wifi built-in with up to two HDD (one mSATA using the full mini PCI-e, and the other 2.5" SSD or HDD via SATA cables) in a case that is slightly larger than the actual Mac Mini.

I am leaning towards taking blind step and if it does not work out, then I will have a MS Mini, until Gigabyte or some other mobos come out with similar options.

I have the board on order and should be receiving this week. Crossing fingers and hope I find a way to load Lion! Once confirmed working, will proceed to mSATA HDD and half mini PCIe wifi.

Here is an update:

After struggling with getting Lion installed fresh, using UniBeast, I am now up and running and able to boot from HDD.
@neilhart actually is the first to have gotten this board up and running, and although I have not tested yet, he has practically everything up and running minus sleep/wake. I will conduct further testing myself.

My Hardware:

Viako ML-55 case
Intel DH61AG Thin Mini-ITX board
2GB DDR3 204-pin 1333 Samsung RAM (this will be replaced later, but for the time being, I took these out of my T420S laptop)
19V/4.7A AC Adapter that came with the Viako case
GELID Slim Silence heatsync/fan (28mm tall)
Samsung 3.5" HDD Spinpoint (this will be replace with a notebook HDD on its way and later on down the road hopefully mSATA SSD that will go into the full mPCI-e slot on this mono)
UniBeast USB

Now that I have Lion successfully loaded, I will finish up my build once all parts come in, and will post my build when finished.

Waiting for belzebozoo's DSDT. I hope he can make it succesful. :)
I'm interested in this mobo. :D

hack mini in progress.jpeg

Here is a quick pic of my hack mini in testing under my desk... Should be looking better when all parts come in and buttoned up :p

Attachments

• hack mini in progress.jpeg
    hack mini in progress.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 588
I would suggest using a Gigabyte H61 motherboard as they are better supported here.[/quote]

How well do the Gigabyte H61's perform?

pointman said:
I would suggest using a Gigabyte H61 motherboard as they are better supported here.

How well do the Gigabyte H61's perform?[/quote]

@pointman:

Gigabyte boards are pretty solid but the most attractive part is that it is almost 100% compatible with OS X and sound, ethernet, sleep/wake, etc. all work very well. I managed to purchase GA H67N USB3 B3 mobo, and was a breeze getting it setup with UniBeast method. I got this Intel board because of all of its bells and whistles, and currently without sleep, I am more than happy. My worst case scenario was OS X does not load and I have a Mac Min look a like running Win 7. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back