Contribute
Register

UHD 630 - Can't boot with a 4K monitor, but 1080 monitors are fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supported enough to work and have rx 560 in the system information. I used it for some time while GPU prices were off the hinges. XFX also has issues I think with 570 and 580’s

Could you please confirm about XFX 570? It is listed in Buyers guide

Could you please confirm about XFX 570? It is listed in Buyers guide

I can't not confirm because I do not have that card to confirm. I guess it depends on who you ask but I have read here on this forum at least one time that says Rx 5x0 XFX cards have issues with Mac OS.

I can't not confirm because I do not have that card to confirm. I guess it depends on who you ask but I have read here on this forum at least one time that says Rx 5x0 XFX cards have issues with Mac OS.

This is what I read on the forum

For the new Radeon RX cards, RX 460 / RX 560 from XFX doesn't work in MacOS, since it uses an incompatible VBIOS. Other RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580 should work. The cards listed in the Buyer's Guide are those specifically listed by Apple as supported by use in eGPU (external GPU) boxes. In particular Apple recommends Sapphire cards.

Yes, Macs in the past few years all use Radeon, but in the hackintosh world, until recently using Radeon cards were fraught with problems like boot to a black screen, failing to wake from sleep etc. It is only recently that these problems are largely resolved, and then not all Radeon cards work. In the mean time almost all Nvidia cards (including the Maxwell and Pascal cards) work in MacOS Sierra and High Sierra using the Nvidia web drivers. That's why Nvidia options far outnumber Radeons.

This is what I read on the forum

I would rather get something I know works, and I guess it depends on who you ask. In the past apple listed XFX Vega cards but that mention has been removed. Looks like apple is back to only recommending Sapphire and AMD released cards.

"Your quote says the cards listed in the buyers guid are those specifically listed by apple"

Apple makes no mention of XFX cards, so you are welcome buy whatever you want but I would steer clear of XFX unless it is a Vega. In addition I have never seen xfx 570 listed on apples website the only time I have ever seen XFX was for Vega and that has since been removed.

I would rather get something I know works, and I guess it depends on who you ask. In the past apple listed XFX Vega cards but that mention has been removed. Looks like apple is back to only recommending Sapphire and AMD released cards.

"Your quote says the cards listed in the buyers guid are those specifically listed by apple"

Apple makes no mention of XFX cards, so you are welcome buy whatever you want but I would steer clear of XFX unless it is a Vega. In addition I have never seen xfx 570 listed on apples website the only time I have ever seen XFX was for Vega and that has since been removed.

They used to be too I believe, and also according to this thread, it should be ok https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/going-to-buy-xfx-radeon-rx-580-advice-please.265164/

@jamesst20,

To use a 4K display with IGPU you need to apply WhatEverGreens pixel clock patch.

Just make sure you have Lilu + WhatEverGreen Installed and add -cdfon as a boot argument to your config.plist.

Code:
    <key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <string>........ -cdfon</string>
        '
        '
        '
        '
    </dict>

Or use Clover Configurator :-

View attachment 436933

Cheers
Jay

I updated to Catalina and havn't got any success either. Do you have any suggestions?

I updated to Catalina and havn't got any success either. Do you have any suggestions?

Are you using HDMI cables?

After booting in 1080p, are you able to change resolution to 4K?

Are you using HDMI cables?

After booting in 1080p, are you able to change resolution to 4K?

The computer freezes as soon as a 4k monitor is connected no matter if it was already booted or not. It goes black and freeze. Disconnecting the 4k monitor and connecting back the working 1080p doesn't unfreeze the system.

The computer freezes as soon as a 4k monitor is connected no matter if it was already booted or not. It goes black and freeze. Disconnecting the 4k monitor and connecting back the working 1080p doesn't unfreeze the system.

Wow. I've never heard of anything like this... Sorry, I have nothing to suggest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back