Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Brix
CPU
i5-8250U
Graphics
Intel UHD 620
Hi all,

I cannot seem to get my UHD 620 to work on my Gigabyte Brix (BRi5h: 16GB/Quad I5 8th gen Kaby Lake R/1TB disk). It's stable (but slow) without acceleration, but then shows 5 or 7MB ram. When accelerated, the screen is flickering all over, unreadable most of the times. I think I tried about everything (recent) I could find, but I'm out of ideas. Anyone? There are some guides on Gigabyte Brix, but they seem to have older CPUs and video.

I followed a Vanilla guide and started off with an (almost) clean config. Replaced Intel Wifi with Broadcom. Nothing in /L/E. Everything seems to work, except acceleration. The UHD 620 is seen as 0x5917, but also when faked to 0x5916, doesn't do it's thing.

First build, though experienced in many ways. Yes, I should clean up my config.plist (just realise it's not). Haven't done any optimisations (usb ports, power management and such) yet. If you have any tips, please do.

Attachments

• debug_27166.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 68
Hi all,

I cannot seem to get my UHD 620 to work on my Gigabyte Brix (BRi5h: 16GB/Quad I5 8th gen Kaby Lake R/1TB disk). It's stable (but slow) without acceleration, but then shows 5 or 7MB ram. When accelerated, the screen is flickering all over, unreadable most of the times. I think I tried about everything (recent) I could find, but I'm out of ideas. Anyone? There are some guides on Gigabyte Brix, but they seem to have older CPUs and video.

I followed a Vanilla guide and started off with an (almost) clean config. Replaced Intel Wifi with Broadcom. Nothing in /L/E. Everything seems to work, except acceleration. The UHD 620 is seen as 0x5917, but also when faked to 0x5916, doesn't do it's thing.

First build, though experienced in many ways. Yes, I should clean up my config.plist (just realise it's not). Haven't done any optimisations (usb ports, power management and such) yet. If you have any tips, please do.

Legacy boot/CSM enabled in BIOS?

It wasn't. Tried that, and still is enabled now. And some other platform ID's and combinations. Nothing worked, still flickering unpredictable. Fresh files attached.

Attachments

• debug_27166.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 85
It wasn't. Tried that, and still is enabled now. And some other platform ID's and combinations. Nothing worked, still flickering unpredictable. Fresh files attached.

Try iMac14,2, or iMac16,2, or iMac14,1.
And try with kernel flag -cdfon (should not need it without 4k monitor, but...)
Also, how is monitor connected? (HDMI or DP?)
If DP, you're doing inappropriate patching (need to use -igfxnohdmi to avoid WhateverGreen patching all connectors to HDMI).

Also, why do you have an AppleHDA.kext in Clover/kexts/Other? Apple's kexts do not belong there.

Try iMac14,2, or iMac16,2, or iMac14,1.
And try with kernel flag -cdfon (should not need it without 4k monitor, but...)

Tried several combinations, also with platform-id 5916, which seems to be one of the few places where the UHD620 is described.

Also tried a fresh (and seemingly very complete) config from this Kaby Lake R i7 with UHD620, but then booting into graphics mode doesn't seem to happen. Will try again with a HDMI-cable.

Also, how is monitor connected? (HDMI or DP?)
If DP, you're doing inappropriate patching (need to use -igfxnohdmi to avoid WhateverGreen patching all connectors to HDMI).

DP, Mini-DP to VGA converter. Does that matter? The -igfxnohdmi didn't make a difference.

Also, why do you have an AppleHDA.kext in Clover/kexts/Other? Apple's kexts do not belong there.

Removed, audio still works. Was a remnant from an audio guide.

Regard,
Paul

Cleaned up config.plist, started trying systematically, seems to work with:

Product Name iMac14,2, Platform 0x59120000, FakeID/IntelGFX 0x59168086

Stable picture, transparancy, much faster.

Connection Type: Analog VGA or Analog Over DVI-I

I'm happy for now. If anyone knows if it is wise to integrate a number/many of the above Kaby Lake R patches, please advise.

@RehabMan: thanks for the help!

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-10-26 at 16.17.28.png
    Screenshot 2018-10-26 at 16.17.28.png
    72 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
@RehabMan I just spotted this as I am reading through a multitude of posts on Brix. Is the install on a Brix meant to be a Legacy install? I just got one and had made the assumption I should use a UEFI install.

@RehabMan I just spotted this as I am reading through a multitude of posts on Brix. Is the install on a Brix meant to be a Legacy install? I just got one and had made the assumption I should use a UEFI install.

You can boot UEFI, but you should still enable legacy/CSM.

You can boot UEFI, but you should still enable legacy/CSM.
Thank you - is there a guide that points out the things I ought to do to install Mojave on a Brix or are the NUC guides close enough to use except changing the drivers as appropriate? I did a search but did not find anything up to date.

Thank you - is there a guide that points out the things I ought to do to install Mojave on a Brix or are the NUC guides close enough to use except changing the drivers as appropriate? I did a search but did not find anything up to date.

Although you might get close using a NUC guide, there will likely be differences you'll need to account for (audio codec, USB port layout, HDMI vs. DP port layout/assignment, ACPI differences, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back