Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello Everyone!
First time posting here.
Almost 4 years ago (august 2017) i had this build with dual boot (win + MacOS 10.12.6)

Gygabyte Z170X
Intel Core I7 -7700K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6143 MB
Ram 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4

Now i need to update it at least to Catalina. I know NVIDIA aren't supported anymore.
I use it primarly with all the Adobe Suite (primarly Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and Premiere Pro).
I'm looking to update since i'm no longer receiving update for the Adobe Suite and i would love to use Adobe Rush and sidecar function.

Can i just replace the graphic card? Any suggestion about which model to buy?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. i think i'll need an help with how to update too.

AMD Navi based 5500XT or 5600XT cards will offer the longest support but right now they are way overpriced and hard to find anyway. An older used Kepler based card like the 780 Ti can be a stopgap measure until prices for AMD graphics cards come back down. If you have not read the Nvidia Graphics guide yet, have a look: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-of-desktop-cards-with-native-support.283700/

Prices of available 5500XT cards at newegg average around $800 USD. Don't pay those ludicrous prices for one. Normal retail price is closer to $200 USD.

thanks for your replies. It looks like it's not a good period to buy a new graphic card :|

Any thoughts about this card
ASUS Dual series Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5

I can buy it for 290$. still overpriced but affordable for me. It's worth it or better to wait and hope for a price drop for the 5500XT?

Thank you.

Any thoughts about this card
ASUS Dual series Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5

I can buy it for 290$. still overpriced but affordable for me.
It looks to be compatible. If it's used and has been running 24/7 in a mining rig for 3-4 years it may not be the best investment of $290. Communicate with the seller to get all the details about usage and condition of it.

Hello Everyone!
First time posting here.
Almost 4 years ago (august 2017) i had this build with dual boot (win + MacOS 10.12.6)

Gygabyte Z170X
Intel Core I7 -7700K
Ram 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4

hello, I am facing the same problem.I'm currently running High Sierra with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. The system runs absolutely flawless, but slowly I would like to at least upgrade to Mojave.

So I bought a MSI Radeon RX580 Gaming X 8G, 8GB on eBay and will first try to run High Sierra with this card. I am curious whether the pure exchange of the graphics card is enough or whether the configuration must also be changed.

have you already had experience with your system here?

best regards, dino

Hello Everyone!
First time posting here.

Gygabyte Z170X
Intel Core I7 -7700K
Ram 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR4

Now i need to update it at least to Catalina. I know NVIDIA aren't supported anymore.
I use it primarly with all the Adobe Suite (primarly Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and Premiere Pro).
I'm looking to update since i'm no longer receiving update for the Adobe Suite and i would love to use Adobe Rush and sidecar function.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. i think i'll need an help with how to update too.

I am in the EXACT same boat, and so crazy - August 2017 - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-build-with-gigabyte-ga-z170xp-sli.228534/

What the FLOCK is up with ATI Card prices?!?

I upgraded from Sierra straight to Catalina without any issues except the stupid NVidia driver/card problem.

At the moment, I only need the machine for Audio production and Lightroom, but I'm driving dual 27" displays and I also want to be able to plug in a 4k TV so I'm looking for a card with 2x DVI and at least 1x HDMI.

I'd take suggestions on what to get now and what to watch for. I'm also curious as to what is up with prices on cards.

Dino - did your RX580 work?

Dino - did your RX580 work?

I haven't tried it yet because I was waiting for feedback from this forum. But it looks like I have to do the "pioneering work".... :lol:

Yes the AMD 570 & 580 both will work with Hackintosh and compatible with the latest OS version as well. I am using RX 570 for development purchase and works well with 4K resolutions. For media production, I suggest going at least RX 580 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back