Contribute
Register

Ubuntu 16.04.01 first glance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a lot of power management updates are coming in kernel 4.10. I tried the 4.9 kernel with a bit of an issue with my Corsair k70 keyboard. Maybe give that a try to see if it improves your situation.

This is also in my todo list (it fits on the item named "more stuff I don't remember" :lol: )

There're several approaches to tuning the modifier keys behavior, I need to investigate that, and choose the approach that more conveniently resembles the Mac.

But I won't be doing any other thing from the todo list until I find a fix for suspend+hibernate. This is my first priority because it might need kernel changes or other system stuff, and because I won't be using Ubuntu daily until hibernate works.

Looks like a lot of power management updates are coming in kernel 4.10. I tried the 4.9 kernel with a bit of an issue with my Corsair k70 keyboard. Maybe give that a try to see if it improves your situation.
I feel like if the problem isn't just the kernel, but the combination of kernel + NVIDIA driver. Rather than trying to randomly find a combination that seems to work, I just posted this on the NVIDIA Linux support forum.

I hope to get some solution. It's the only point that is currently preventing me from using Ubuntu daily.

I think you're right as I read on some other forums there is an issue with the power management on their driver. There are a lot of complaints on the quality of the driver and missing integrations. Makes me wonder what they are doing over there. I'd assume they focus on gaming since it's more profitable than the data-science side (which is mostly Linux and Unix.) CUDA is almost entirely a science concept so I'd think they clean things up a bit, but I think it's all just raw performance they are after (and they achieved for sure.)

I feel like if the problem isn't just the kernel, but the combination of kernel + NVIDIA driver. Rather than trying to randomly find a combination that seems to work, I just posted this on the NVIDIA Linux support forum.

I hope to get some solution. It's the only point that is currently preventing me from using Ubuntu daily.

1. My Memory is obviously not 31.4 GB. It's reading wrong for some reason.

The reason is simple, really. The Dialog Box shows 31.4 GiB and you're thinking "GB". GB = 1000, GiB = 1024.

http://wintelguy.com/gb2gib.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

G-i-B-i, "Gibi"...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as Ubuntu 16.04 (Xerus) versus 16.10 (Yak) goes, they have regressions compared to 14.04 (Trusty). I've tested 14.04, 16.04 and 16.10 (actually, I've tested every Ubuntu version and very flavour since Ubuntu's inception) and I now only do Trusty (which Mint 17.3 is based upon.) My favourite reviewer is DeDoimendo and his Linux reviews are at http://www.dedoimedo.com/computer_software.html#linux

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-xerus.html
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-yakkety-yak.html
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-yakkety-yak.html KDE Yak
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-trusty-tahr-laptop-ultrabook.html

Of course, it also depends on whether it is Unity, Gnome 3, Gnome 2.5, KDE5 Plasma, KDE 4.4 (my choice is PCLOS), Xfce, LXDE, LXQt, etc. I absolutely detest Unity, GNOME3 and KDE5 Plasma. ymmv. I gave up on Unity a long time ago. :D For me it's MATE, usually the Linux Mint versions, although I have just spent a day installing Ubuntu Trusty on my MacPro 1,1 (and making it look and feel like Linux Mint 17.3)

I am not entirely getting why are the drivers from 15.10 not working on 16.04 LTS.
That's known as a "Regression".

Well, that and instead of Wayland they made their own graphical controller called Mir. Me, I don't like Wayland any more than I like Systemd. :D

We have the same thing with nVidia drivers, no?, where their drivers will work in El Cap but not in Sierra, etc. You will probably need to go to the Drivers section and try changing over to another version and if you can't find one you may need to go through Synaptic and download any utilities related to AMD or nVidia. Me, I actually like the AMD drivers over nVidia, finding that they work better, but nVidia has better tools.

The purpose of Mir is to enable the development of the Unity8.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mir

Last edited:
Of course, it also depends on whether it is Unity, Gnome 3, Gnome 2.5, KDE5 Plasma, KDE 4.4 (my choice is PCLOS), Xfce, LXDE, LXQt, etc. I absolutely detest Unity, GNOME3 and KDE5 Plasma. ymmv. I gave up on Unity a long time ago. :D For me it's MATE, usually the Linux Mint versions, although I have just spent a day installing Ubuntu Trusty on my MacPro 1,1 (and making it look and feel like Linux Mint 17.3)
The only two desktops I like in Linux are Unity and GNUstep. The former because Ubuntu has a plan for uniform aesthetics across different devices, it's very close to the MacOS UI (the closest IMHO), and has a lot of users (I like to contribute in uniformity being successful).

The later (GNUstep) because it's the closest brother of Cocoa. I don't like the Linux diversity where each app has completely different aesthetics. But it's about tastes, and that's subjective. This is just my taste.

Anyway, I won't swim into these UI delicatessen until I get suspend and hibernation working on my Pascal GPU.

Agree 100%!!

Given that Ubuntu is also tested by most since it's the most used it's likely it would have better support by NVidia or others.

Anyway I thought I'd dislike Unity but in fact I really like it.

The only two desktops I like in Linux are Unity and GNUstep. The former because Ubuntu has a plan for uniform aesthetics across different devices, it's very close to the MacOS UI (the closest IMHO), and has a lot of users (I like to contribute in uniformity being successful).

The later (GNUstep) because it's the closest brother of Cocoa. I don't like the Linux diversity where each app has completely different aesthetics. But it's about tastes, and that's subjective. This is just my taste.

Anyway, I won't swim into these UI delicatessen until I get suspend and hibernation working on my Pascal GPU.

The later (GNUstep) because it's the closest brother of Cocoa. I don't like the Linux diversity where each app has completely different aesthetics. But it's about tastes, and that's subjective.

I completely agree. It used to be that the different looks of certain app windows upset me; now it doesn't bother me so much as it serves as an indicator at what level I'm working in. What bothers me are [square] browser right-click window differences, for example, along with the available commands in the sub-menu, "etc."

I think GNOME3 or KDE5, at least on the Desktop, is trying to do what Unity has been doing. For me Unity has the same limitations as GNOME3, which are the lack of surface and in-depth customization - things like themes, fonts, tweaks, etc. Going from Gnome2 to Unity was a frustration for me as I couldn't get into the bowels of the window settings. Things like adding a printer under GNOME3 was fruitless (I think I tried a hand full of different GNOME3 distros, finally settling on ExTix after exhausting RoboLinux GNOME3... )

To me, Unity seems to be an extension of a cell phone GUI, more Android/Chrome-ish. Not a bad thing, per se, mind you... But "having to" setup a Ubuntu One account is like "having to" set up a Microsoft account... Ang OS that goes to a "store front" app. installer is not "my cup of tea." First thing I did with "Trusty" was to install the Synaptic installer, since I already know what I like and I know how to do it. I'm sure we all have our preferences...

For those of us who like OSX, for example, 'Trusty' allows the switching of the window buttons from the right side to the left, mirroring OSX. I've always liked the Apple browser blue scroll bar and when I now use Opera, for example, it is "missing," just like Windows 8x/10's browser button is grayed out and I have problems seeing where the scroll bar starts and where the scroll bar window starts. I remember getting the sources for that blue scroll bar (GlossyP) and making sure that I could customize whatever Linux distro I was trying.

Remember when we would change the window scroll bar triangles, preferring them both at the bottom (OSX) or on the top and the bottom (Windows)? It's the little things that we are used to... (At work one of the Admins decided to disable mouse right-click in our pushed image. It didn't go over too well... Same thing happened when an Admin setup a Windows 8 lab on a Friday, went on vacation and no one could log in on Monday because they were used to WXP.

Now that you've mentioned GNUStep I will have to "take it for a spin," and see what window themes appeal to me, which icons appeal to me, which fonts appeal to me (yes, I love the OSX San Francisco font, just as I love the Linux Noto and Droid fonts), etc. Thank you very much for the tip; it is much appreciated.

I completely agree that whatever Linux distro one has that it should be stable and work with all of one's hardware. The only "Rolling" distro I play with is PCLOS KDE4.4, where I'm presently running Kernel 4.8. "Cairo Dock" is regressed in it, though. It works, but ends up throwing a segment fault on startup and when closing on shutdown. It worked with earlier kernels, though.

Would it be too much of an imposition if I asked for a snap shot of your GNUstep desktop with a few apps and windows open? One can't always trust Google pics to be truthful. If it wouldn't be too much of an imposition, then thanks. And if it would be too much of an imposition, well, thanks any way, I understand.

Last edited:
Would it be too much of an imposition if I asked for a snap shot of your GNUstep desktop with a few apps and windows open? One can't always trust Google pics to be truthful. If it wouldn't be too much of an imposition, then thanks. And if it would be too much of an imposition, well, thanks any way, I understand.
When I got the new SSD for moving the Linux installation from the HDD to the SDD (thinking in daily use), I started from scratch. I currently don't have GNUstep installed, but my plan is to compile it from source in my home directory, and make it run within Unity, something like an addition to Unity but without replacing anything, and everything encapsulated in a folder inside my home directory. I don't want to hack Unity, I want everything working in a 100% default standard way, because I'm a developer and I wish to test on standard defaults.

I'll also be using Darling for invoking the Xcode clang and other command line OS X apps, and I believe Darling reuses some parts of GNUstep, so I'll take a look at how to have them working together (maybe there's no need to duplicate stuff).

Also, very tempted to try PearPC soon... it doesn't work in OS X because the PowerPC->Intel JIT recompiler crashes in OS X, but it does work in Linux, so it's worth trying to get the PowerPC Panther or Tiger up on Linux.

Asiga,

I looked at the GNUstep website and I'm afraid that I don't want to go back to compiling or object based proogramming. I did that too many years ago with Gentoo and Arch and for me it's just not worth my effort; it just isn't fun any more. :(

My programming expertise only extends to old DEC PDP10 and PDP20 machine language and a great C/C+ course.

You programmers are seldom appreciated and often depreciated. :D I know that I say derogatory things when I see some code at work - like a total lack of REM lines, no structure, etc. It drives me nuts that someone could modify code and then not state why they did it. Guess I'm old school. (I remember looking at some in-the-bowels PDP10 code and the programmer Remarked "If you're here you're in a world of hurt." :D )

My programmer buddy is always working on scripting. I guess it's something you have to love doing. I'm more into debugging than programming; I get turned on by looking at Crash Dumps. The last time I used an object based app. was way back on a Mac SE30. I still keep one at work - just to look at it and have fond memories. :D (Somewhere someone has an old NEXT machine... )

Interesting that you would try PearPC, seeing as it's a PPC emulator. (I still have my G5 next to my MacPro 1,1... ) Why 10.3 and 10.4? Interesting that GNUstep works with GNOME, KDE and other X11 based distros. Makes me wonder what Wayland will do to it?

And yes, I agree, it's always best to start from scratch when re-doing an OS. It just takes a lot longer to tweak everything just right. But it also means that now knowing what you prefer means you're not going to bloat it with everything.

Now, about Ubuntu 16.04...

I don't have anything good to say about it, any more than I have good things to say about KDE 5 Plasma or Linux Mint 18.0. But since it's been out a while hopefully 16.04 has matured. But I'd have to try it out on a spare drive before I would even think of upgrading from 14.04. But since I am not a Smart Phone kind-of-guy Unity has no appeal to me, just as W10 or Sierra has no appeal to me. Oh, I have W10 installed, I just don't use it; I don't trust it, just like I don't trust Sierra. Not that I have anything to be scared of, mind you - just normal paranoid. :D

Last edited:
Darling sounds like a very interesting project. It's in that "why do this" phase but that's how all interesting things get started.

If this project can take off at some point it could help as an alternative for iOS development on Linux and support a Pro workstation. Apple isn't likely going to release a Pro system any time in the near future. Being a dev that needs VMs, lots of RAM, storage and CPU, as well as powerful GPUs for data science, this could be a future.

When I got the new SSD for moving the Linux installation from the HDD to the SDD (thinking in daily use), I started from scratch. I currently don't have GNUstep installed, but my plan is to compile it from source in my home directory, and make it run within Unity, something like an addition to Unity but without replacing anything, and everything encapsulated in a folder inside my home directory. I don't want to hack Unity, I want everything working in a 100% default standard way, because I'm a developer and I wish to test on standard defaults.

I'll also be using Darling for invoking the Xcode clang and other command line OS X apps, and I believe Darling reuses some parts of GNUstep, so I'll take a look at how to have them working together (maybe there's no need to duplicate stuff).

Also, very tempted to try PearPC soon... it doesn't work in OS X because the PowerPC->Intel JIT recompiler crashes in OS X, but it does work in Linux, so it's worth trying to get the PowerPC Panther or Tiger up on Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back