Contribute
Register

Ubuntu 16.04.01 first glance

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, another add-on to my list, for turning Linux more Mac-friendly: appimage.org

It's the closest thing I found to app bundles. Basically it packages your app (and any resource files, libs, etc) inside an executable ISO image. Not a genuine app bundle, but very close, because you can keep your app directory structure inside the ISO image, which is seen as a single icon in the UI, and which you can double click for executing it.

Chief among my grievances is that the CMD key's functionality in OSX is provided by the CTRL key in Linux. For example, copy/paste is CMD+C/CMD+V on OSX and CTRL+V/CTRL+V on Linux. And since I am using a Windows keyboard, the "CMD" key is actually the Windows key.

I used Karabiner to remap OSX CMD keys so that I can do CTL-C/V. https://pqrs.org/osx/karabiner/

My first conclusion after a couple of weeks trying to get suspend/hibernation working for Pascal Titan X on Ubuntu is that Linux hasn't progressed much these years in terms of GPU drivers stability. While it's true that MacOS has no Pascal drivers yet, the robustness of Linux is not better than a hackintosh: on the hackintosh it's usual that you have some non-working features, but exactly the same can be said for Linux. If we compare it to a true Mac, then there's no comparison: The Mac works 100% OOB. The Linux box doesn't. Period.

In these forums we've been disappointed about NVIDIA lack of reply to the messages of Mac users regarding Pascal support. Well, my impression after these weeks following the NVIDIA Linux development forums is not much better than that. Yes, the mods post there, and seem to take control of it, but it's just the first impression: you notice soon that many threads get no support, and that there isn't any bug tracking system. If you hoped you would open a ticket like with Apple support (or like with most open source projects), you'll be disappointed to know you cannot track the status of your bug. In fact, you don't formally report bugs, you open threads in the forum.

In conclusion, the situation for all of us who need top-performance GPUs on UNIX is pretty bad at this moment: On one hand, Apple seems to be dropping high-performance GPUs. On the other hand, Linux has drivers, but it's relatively unstable (GPU-wise), and direct support from GPU makers is unsatisfactory.

While I agree on the suspend hibernation conclusion I disagree on the rest (which is perfectly okay.) As I've seen suspend/hibernation is an open issue that gets acknowledgment from NVIDIA but not much else. They really don't spend the time to fully fix their issues completely in driver rel4eases. In fact looking at the NVIDIA forums for Windows looks just as bad. It's clearly a problem for then company. Great hardware, bad software.

Ok to preface, not a fanboy for NVIDIA, Linux, or Ubuntu. Linux is actually very good. Ubuntu is a great distribution. I'd say with newer hardware and capability, it's far superior to macOS right now. That wasn't true in 2014 and started changing the last year. Comparing a true Mac is a non-comparison. You'd have to review a Ubuntu-based hardware vendor vs Apple. My Hack has been fully converted over and I'm building a new system for macOS (as in older hardware.) Sierra has a lot of nice apps, and frankly, that's Apple's thing. If I believed otherwise I'd never have switched to Apple years ago. Now going forward, Ubuntu is on a trajectory I want to be on. I'm likely going to try partnering with Canonical in some way with my startup. It's a lively and exciting future. Apple desktops, not so much. And that's understandable and ok too.

On to the current migration issues. Pascal works very well. I don't hibernate or suspend (don't care right now) and although that is important for some workflows, I'm not agreeing it's a 'broken' system. I'd say this, for certain workflows that lend to software dev, machine learning and data science, app development, etc. Linux is a great way to go. General use as a desktop I'd say is good too. Tweaking and little CLI issues and such do occur so definitely ont on par. For general use, I'd recommend an iPad Pro frankly. For creative pros, you are in a lot of pain right now. It's not an option with Linux.

Anyway, Asiga, I've actually been monitoring the suspend issue to see if I find anything. Just my two cents, I'm glad I have something working well for me is all.

Maybe I was too harsh, I apologize if that's the case. Anyway, what I meant is that Linux requires tweaking for the hardware to work, and even then there're cases where you cannot get it working. As you say, there are Ubuntu-certified hardware vendors, but that's not the objective behind Linux, which is an OS designed to run in generic PCs. I have used Linux quite frequently years ago, even as my everyday OS, and it required tweaking. I expected it would be an OOB OS by now, but it isn't, and my experience is that it has the same issues today as a decade ago.

Regarding MacOS, I agree it has lost several good points it used to have. Until Snow Leopard included, it was designed very efficiently, without the bloat of Windows. Unfortunately, today it's not that well designed anymore: Safari consumes an unreasonable amount of RAM, and can slow down the machine. A minor-number update to either Xcode or MacOS implies a full download of over 4GB (compressed), and sometimes over 30 minutes to install after it's downloaded. I remember installing software updates on a G5 Tiger iMac, and it was always a few minutes. And Snow Leopard boots in about 5 seconds on my late 2010 MacBook Air (it's a 2.4GHz C2D!!!), while ElCapitan takes more than 10 seconds on a quad core 2016 i7 6700K@4GHz with 32GB RAM. Something happened within Apple after Snow Leopard.

I also agree some tools have lost their most powerful side. For example, Disk Utility was a powerful tool, but in recent MacOS releases they changed it into a joke.

However, even with these things, I still find MacOS works better than Linux, no matter if you work with apps or with Terminal command-line tasks. MacOS has all the UNIX software you'll ever need, but in a far more convenient environment. Most of the stuff that makes you work more efficiently doesn't have a direct equivalent on Linux. For example, Preview (most of the times you don't need to install Adobe Acrobat if you know all the tasks Preview can perform). Another example: being freed from package managers and dependencies, because most software is an app bundle (except if you use Macports or similar systems, of course). Another example: On the fly language switching, which makes it easy to debug internationalization quicker. Or the Column View in Finder, which is completely missing in Linux (except in ElementaryOS). It would be endless to mention all the stuff that makes me more productive on MacOS and that doesn't have an equivalent in Linux.

Said this, the ball is on Apple's roof. If a new powerful MacPro is released, then there might be a future for MacOS. Otherwise, the only option is to get used to Linux.

Oh not harsh and not a problem. You have a right to rant and I respect it. I can completely understand. So a few years ago I was completely on Linux since I detest Windows. So it was always a -hacky- and just not great. I sort-of liked Gnome for a while but it was always crummy to a degree. I don't mind needed to understand things (I'm a software dev after all.) The thing is it's the little stuff that just takes away from it. Like plugging in a USB drive. it works mostly, but today it didn't I had to break out the CLI and climb through dmesg to find out the USB module wasn't working right. This stuff is fundamental and shouldn't be hacky in 2016/2017. So I'm with you.

It's bad when you see continued issues with NVIDIA drivers and all the mess going on with hardware support on Mac. I mean, no DDR4, proper NVMe, any kind of modern graphics? I understand since they plan on only making sealed devices (mac included) so the OS is ends to a means. SO off to Linux I go. I love macOS and have since OS X really. Classic Mac OS was cute and neat in it's own way but I never "loved" it. Although I'm appreciating it more these days in emulation.

Anyway, I'm hoping to make a Linux (or Ubuntu to be exact) experience as magical as I can since I have the power and capability to do so. I'll help anyone as well make their experience in getting comfortable as a alternative as well. After all I'm a Mac user that needs to be comfortable while Apple works out their real strategy. For now I'm stuck with Xcode on my other systems since macOS works somewhat cruddy on my SkyLake Hack right now.

Maybe I was too harsh---

What I meant is that Linux requires tweaking for the hardware to work, and even then there're cases where you cannot get it working. As you say, there are Ubuntu-certified hardware vendors, but that's not the objective behind Linux, which is an OS designed to run in generic PCs. I have used Linux quite frequently years ago, even as my everyday OS, and it required tweaking. I expected it would be an OOB OS by now, but it isn't, and my experience is that it has the same issues today as a decade ago. ]

That is why one should load up a Linux LiveCD - to test all the hardware - network, wireless, SAMBA, printer additions, Skype, audio, camera (video and picture import), etc.

You may find that LM fine tunes Ubuntu to the point where many times it just a better product. If you look at LM 18, it is based on Ubuntu 16.04. For an Ubuntu 16.10 based distro you will probably need to go through distrowatch.com . For U16.10 you may need to go with ExTIX, but it may depend on what GUI you're interested in, for example KDE4, KDE5, GNOME MATE, GNOME3, LXQT, etc. It's for that very reason that Linux probably can't do OOB, since it supports 32bit, 64bit, ARM, PPC, etc.

As far as stability goes it may come down to whether you want init.d, sysV, system.d, etc.; grub, grub2, etc; .

Is there such a thing as a generic PC? Intel and AMD are the major players, but even within Intel there are many architectures to support. Heck, Apple dropped Intel 32 bit support a few years ago, and they've dropped a lot of Macs when Sierra came out, just as with every Mac OS release older hardware is dropped, and with it Mac Support is also dropped (certainly no different than Windows dropping older OS support.)

Tweaking can't be helped any more than Windows needed tweaking. Remember when everyone added the Start Menu to Windows 8.x? If you're used to multiple desktops, like in Mac OSX and Linux, http://www.howtogeek.com/197625/how-to-use-virtual-desktops-in-windows-10/ will need to be done.

When I install MATE I already know how to set it up - first thing is to add "Mounter," "Logout," "Shutdown, and a few other apps to the task bar. Then I go to Appearance and load my Windows Themes, load DROID or Noto fonts if they're not part of the distro, then down load my favourite apps. like Rhythm Box, Clementine, USB Creator, USB Formatter, Disks, GParted, MP3Gain, Asunder, Audacity, etc.

I've spent most of today installing SuSE Leap 42 KDE5. Now there be some serious tweaking... It's as convoluted as Windows 10. Want to change the background? In Windows you click on a pic, right-click, Set As Background. KDE5? It'll take you a good half hour to an hour to figure out how to do it. Oh, you want to change your MDM splash screen? Google is your friend... Want to make the Windows look like El Capitan? Want to change to OSX icons? That'll take an hour. Now try moving the window buttons over to the left side... tweak, tweak, tweak, tweak, tweak....

It all comes down to what you're used to, what you're familiar with, what you want to do. No distro does it all, just as Windows or OSX doesn't do it all.

Disk Utility was a powerful tool, but in recent MacOS releases they changed it into a joke.

I agree. It's the reason why I keep my G5 with 10.5.8 around.

It would be endless to mention all the stuff that makes me more productive on MacOS and that doesn't have an equivalent in Linux.

Absolutely agree. Until Apple decides not to support certain hardware...

If a new powerful MacPro is released, then there might be a future for MacOS. Otherwise, the only option is to get used to Linux.

While the ball may be in Apple's court, the fact is that the Mac Pros are beast of machines and what they really need is the ability to throw in any PC video card and have it work OOB. Yes, the MAC vid cards are EFI based, but that just locks one in into a non-upgradeable path. Even if they come out with a brand new USB3.1, ThunderBolt2, NVME capable system, will it come with a 1G, 2 GB, 3GB or 4GB video card when the PC is moving to 6GB and 8GB cards? You want to work in 4K? You'll probably need a 4GB video card; having to use two ThunderBolt ports to drive a 5K monitor may seem too limiting, especially 5 years from now when everyone has moved on to 8K (which can be done today.) . https://www.lifewire.com/4k-resolution-overview-and-perspective-1846842

The main reason for a new Mac Pro, besides the bus goodies (USB-C, Thunderbolt2, NVME, etc.) would be for power consumption. 150w processors are a little long in the tooth. Which is what you'd probably want if you're going with more than 4 cores, since more than 4 cores stopped with Skylake. So don't expect the movie studios to be in any rush to upgrade because to them there is no need. What they need are faster buses and the most powerful video cards and memory speed & capacity possible. And if Apple can't supply the major movie studios, the major engineering firms, the major auto manufacturers who use CAD/CAM, then they'll eventually move onto Intel servers (which they're probably already doing, anyway.) The gamer is already PC based. Google is cutting Apple's legs with their Chromebooks. What is left in the Education field is Apple's strengths - media creation. And once media creation moves over to the PC then Apple will lose generations of potential buyers. Game over, man, game over. IMO. :D

I love Mac OSX, but there are things that can only be done in Linux. :D Like wiping out EFI partitions. I fix a lot of Window imaging problems that way; heck, I've fixed quite a few MAC imaging problems that way. Or I throw the HDD into a caddy and fire up OSX 10.5.8. :D I can save a >10.5.8 install image, restore it to a USB stick, tshove the USB stick into a MAC that runs El Cap or Sierra and it installs just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back