Contribute
Register

Tutorial: How to use your Windows iTunes library in Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it still works. I've got my library on a D:\ windows HDD as C:\ is an SSD

THIS DOESN'T WORK!

I held down the alt key to select my Windows Library File in Mac.
It said "Updating Library".
Then all my music was listed with the "!" symbol next to it meaning the path is invalid.
So it botched my library in Mac.

I then went back to Windows to use my library from there.
It said "Updating Library".
Again, all my music was listed with the "!" symbol there too.

So this has royally screwed up my iTunes Library.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR MEDIA STORED IN THE SAME LOCATION AS YOUR LIBRARY FILE!

If you still want to try this, be sure to make a backup of your Windows iTunes folder before trying to share it with Mac.

I had a suspicion this would fail because of the different ways Windows and Mac refer to paths.

i.e. You can rename a drive as D:\ or E:\ etc in Windows and then create a shortcut to it. So the path will appear as "E:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Music\The Beatles\Abbey Road\01 Come Together.m4a" in Windows.

But E:\ has no meaning in Mac. It isn't referred to as the start of a path and this is why sharing the library between the two systems fails.

Hahah I also had this working fine. But updating to iTunes 10.6.3 has made my library disappear. Can't see any of my music when I open the library.atl file. Both my library in Windows 7 and Lion are blank. Updated both 10.6.3

I think you have a problem with not consolidating your library. Try these steps;
http://thetechcorner.net/2009/01/20/dua ... e-library/

Thanks for the guide. I have been having this same issue and was think I would need to boot into Windows and add permissions for my Mac machine.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back