Contribute
Register

Truly small Mini-ITX case for hack mini?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the speedy reply! So here's what I was thinking about getting...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811321015&Tpk=Habey%20EMC-800B

or http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-All-Alu...ultDomain_0&hash=item256846a052#ht_3870wt_952 -- I think that's the one you have?

Either one of those or something similar via ebay and dropping in a 150W Pico PSU. Perhaps see if I can get a super small fan in there as well?

It didn't look like you put an optical drive in your build, do you think a slimline would be possible in terms of power-useage? I don't really use optical, but I think the Lion and SL install instructions for these require it...

I originally wanted to run that i5 2500k processor, but possible that if an optical drive is in there, it might be too much? I think there is an i5 that runs at 65W and a high-end i3 that also runs at 65W.

Thanks so much for your help. Building a compact, high-performance HTPC is definitely a bit trickier than the regular desktop systems I built years ago. :p

Hi ninjojo,

I would consider fans a prerequisite.

That case is an extended version of mine, it is a bit taller and supports an optical drive.

The optical drive will add additional load, but it is no more than a few watts. Personally I don't use optical drives in most of my PCs these days, I just keep an external USB powered optical drive handy!

Regarding the CPU, if you intend to use this build as a hackintosh then you NEED a core i3,5,7 CPU with HD3000 integrated graphics and NOT HD2000 which doesn't work yet (possibly never).

Good luck!!

tonymacx86 said:
I've been meaning to try this case- although it's only 120w, this would be the ultimate teeny case. It's a Korean brand Viako:

http://www.viako.com/viako/product_view.asp?idx=2

I am in touch with these guys via e-mail. No distributors in US confirmed but they will ship via DHL ~$40 per case. According to one of their product managers, 120W DC-DC PSU will work with up to core i5 2500K as long as you are using integrated HD.

My plan is to get their SELF case (about 6 inches tall) which has an option to use a Flex PSU and a low profile card.

[UPDATE3]
ML55 is a case used by Viako as one of their fully-assembled Sandy Bridge Wifi bare bone system and was designed to be used with Intel DH61AG motherboard. When ordering this case, their ML55 Power Kit does not come with a PSU board, as DH61AG has it on board. You have to be very specific that you want the ML55 case, and separately a 5A power kit from Viako (you have the option also to use pico PSU, not sold by Viako). Do keep in mind that the case only has a 5mm hole in the back for AC Adapter plugs. I have completed my build (link here) as you see in my sig, and with the current setup, I have close to 8mm clearance between heatsink and case lid.

[UPDATE2]

ML55 currently is compatible (physically) with 120W/5A version of Viako's power kit, and Lance from Viako confirmed that this setup does not support an i3-21xx setup that well. However, if you can find a pico PSU that can utilize the 5mm power connector drilled in the case or if you are willing to drill a larger hole to go with 120W/8A version of their power kit or pico PSU setup, i3-21xx should work with this case.

I have not personally, yet tried to fit in i3-2105 with H67N mobo, but if it works, it will be a tight fit. This case currently uses a Thin ITX board from Intel for a i3-2100 setup.

I am hoping Gigabyte's MSH61PI/DI boards that have been announced are compatible with UniBeast!

[UPDATE]

Here are the prices for Viako cases:
(these are not published prices but ballpark numbers. There are many options that may alter your final price.)

ML 55 w/ 120W DC PSU & Adapter - $115 + DHL about $40
ML SELF w/ 120W DC PSU & Adapter - $135 + DHL about $40
ML SELF w/ 250W Flex PSU - $145+ DHL about $40

For order inquiries, contact Lance at [email protected]. Paypal and wire to their bank seem to be their desired payment method. For PayPal, use Lance's e-mail.

I am way over my budget for case purchase but hoping the quality is as good as they claim and appear to be. For upgrade purposes, I ordered the SELF case,which is 255mm x 225mm x 126mm. I ordered some optional panels so that I can change my case from DC PSU to Flex PSU.

Hope this helps and once I get the case, I will post pics etc.

Cheers!

thanks slowjin

not too expensive then

I've got the Viako ML-Self case, but I'm still waiting for a replacement power supply from Korea before I can complete the build and test (i3-2105 and H67N). It's quite a big case for ITX - similar footprint, but an inch taller than the Wesena ITX6 and ITX7 cases. I'm not sure if the VLSys VFD & remote control unit will be compatible with Mac OS either.

Another thing to note is that although the internal psu boards are rated at 120w, the external brick supplied is often much lower. For instance the ML-55 (55mm high) comes with a 60w adapter, the ML-Self came with a 12v 7a 84w external brick.

twenty4seven said:
I've got the Viako ML-Self case, but I'm still waiting for a replacement power supply from Korea before I can complete the build and test (i3-2105 and H67N). It's quite a big case for ITX - similar footprint, but an inch taller than the Wesena ITX6 and ITX7 cases. I'm not sure if the VLSys VFD & remote control unit will be compatible with Mac OS either.

Another thing to note is that although the internal psu boards are rated at 120w, the external brick supplied is often much lower. For instance the ML-55 (55mm high) comes with a 60w adapter, the ML-Self came with a 12v 7a 84w external brick.

@twenty4seven:

I have with me the SELF case as well but with the FLEX PSU version. Don't need ODD, and wanted to slot in a 5570 LP ready card for a better-than-mini setup. I am waiting for a ML80 NEO2 with the 120W/8A power kit, which I think is so far the most feasible option to drive i3-2105/2125 and ODD. Not quite sure if I will get to squeeze in everyting into 80mm case.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your setup! I did not order the remote etc., so if they work, I will order those parts too.

eastenders :thumbup:

nice build, twenty4seven

I've read the whole thread, and no one has mentioned the possibility of using an i2500k, undervolted and underclocked. I'm not sure how much difference it would make, but I'd imagine quite a bit.

I also have to ask whether or not there are risks that using a mere 120W PSU so close to its maximum will result in unintended fireworks or at least a very short life of the PSU and other components?

David

Hi,

Has anyone tried this with the i5? I contacted one of the distributors and he recommended against the idea. I wonder if one of the bigger Viako cases would be suitable? I'm currently looking to build a slave hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back