Contribute
Register

Trouble with USB on ProBook 4530s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had Yosemite running with the Clover bootloader for about two weeks on my ProBook 4530s and everything was working just fine. Now it seems that my USB ports won't operate correctly once I've booted into OS X. Plugging in a hard drive results in the the drive's icon popping up on the desktop and then disappearing followed by a "Disk Not Ejected Properly" message. Leaving the disk plugged in just results a continuous cycle with disk icon appearing on for a couple of seconds and then disappearing for a couple of seconds. Disk shows the same behavior in Disk Utility. USB sticks show the same behavior. I've plugged this disk into my other hack (Yosemite/Chimera) and it works fine.

Try EC reset.

Tried that, but no joy.

-bth

Check BIOS settings.

Note: Could be hardware problem. Test on Windows. If it works, test on a fresh install of Yosemite.

Check BIOS settings.

Note: Could be hardware problem. Test on Windows. If it works, test on a fresh install of Yosemite.

I'll check BIOS when I get home. USB works fine in Windows. Was going to try fresh install as last resort unless someone came up with better idea.

-bth

Check BIOS settings.

I've checked the BIOS, tried reinstalling GenericUSBXHCI.kext using Kext Wizard/repairing permissions/rebuilding cache (though System Information/Hardware/USB shows AppleUSBEHCI as the host controller driver) and I'm still getting the same behavior.

One interesting note, after booting into Windows 8.1 (installed on a different partition on the same drive), and then booting back into Yosemite, the USB ports will work, at least until the computer goes to sleep. Rebooting OS X goes back to the same odd behavior. This is repeatable - the USB ports and webcam (see below) work on first boot into OS X after booting into Windows 8.1

On another note, when the USB ports aren't working, if I start up an application that uses the webcam (like FaceTime), the webcam light will go into a cycle where it's on for about 5 seconds and then off for 1 second. When the light is off, the image on the webcam display will freeze for the period of time the light is off. The image on the webcam display will freeze for the period of time the light is off.

Still at a loss.

-bth

I've checked the BIOS, tried reinstalling GenericUSBXHCI.kext using Kext Wizard/repairing permissions/rebuilding cache (though System Information/Hardware/USB shows AppleUSBEHCI as the host controller driver) and I'm still getting the same behavior.

One interesting note, after booting into Windows 8.1 (installed on a different partition on the same drive), and then booting back into Yosemite, the USB ports will work, at least until the computer goes to sleep. Rebooting OS X goes back to the same odd behavior. This is repeatable - the USB ports and webcam (see below) work on first boot into OS X after booting into Windows 8.1

On another note, when the USB ports aren't working, if I start up an application that uses the webcam (like FaceTime), the webcam light will go into a cycle where it's on for about 5 seconds and then off for 1 second. When the light is off, the image on the webcam display will freeze for the period of time the light is off. The image on the webcam display will freeze for the period of time the light is off.

Still at a loss.

-bth

Could be some kind of initialization problem then. Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge about how this kext works, not to mention I don't have the hardware.

I have the same problem. USB flash drives disappear and reappear in finder every five seconds but the most annoying thing is that the mouse freezes for half a second every five seconds:banghead:

I have core i3 4530s with one USB3.0 port

I have the same problem. USB flash drives disappear and reappear in finder every five seconds but the most annoying thing is that the mouse freezes for half a second every five seconds:banghead:

I have core i3 4530s with one USB3.0 port

Did you try "-gux_defer_usb2 -gux_no_idle" kernel flags?

Did you try "-gux_defer_usb2 -gux_no_idle" kernel flags?

I have serendipitously discovered that my right rear usb port works correctly. I also tried the recommended kernel flags, but get same thing - only the right rear works. I noticed in SysInfo/Hardware/USB that the working device shows up under one Hi-Speed Bus, while the integrated HP HD Webcam, Bluetooth USB Host Controller, and other "faulty" devices show up under another Hi-Speed Bus (only USB 2.0 on this machine).

My Bluetooth, while appearing to be ON, does not recognize my iPhone 5s. This leads me to believe, that I either have a hub problem, or the Bluetooth on that bus is malfunctioning and messing up anything else on that bus.

-bth

I have serendipitously discovered that my right rear usb port works correctly. I also tried the recommended kernel flags, but get same thing - only the right rear works. I noticed in SysInfo/Hardware/USB that the working device shows up under one Hi-Speed Bus, while the integrated HP HD Webcam, Bluetooth USB Host Controller, and other "faulty" devices show up under another Hi-Speed Bus (only USB 2.0 on this machine).

If you don't have USB3, then GenericUSBXHCI and its related flags will have no effect.

My Bluetooth, while appearing to be ON, does not recognize my iPhone 5s. This leads me to believe, that I either have a hub problem, or the Bluetooth on that bus is malfunctioning and messing up anything else on that bus.

Probably... I don't use BT, so don't run into this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back