Contribute
Register

Trouble Installing Mac OS X Snow Leopard on Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have yet to play with everything and figure out what does and does not work yet; however after running MultiBeast the first two problems that I am immediately aware of are:

You are misunderstanding. If you read the preface to the new iBoot Ivy Bridge tonymacx86 clearly stated: "For those of you looking to run Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge CPUs, know that official kernel support and CPU support is not in the OS at all."

What this means is that you will not get SL to work on Ivy unless you hack the kernel.

The whole purpose of the iBoot Ivy is to allow you to access the App store, download Mountain Lion and create your UniBeast USB installer without ever doing the post-install chores like running MultiBeast to install fakesmc and bootloader.

Thanks for your response,

I definitely read the preface to quickly. I guess the next step then is just to figure out what is wrong going on with the ethernet detection so that I can access the app store (I am assuming the issue is on my end). I will tinker with it some more later tonight and post my findings :)

Justin

You are misunderstanding. If you read the preface to the new iBoot Ivy Bridge tonymacx86 clearly stated: "For those of you looking to run Snow Leopard on Ivy Bridge CPUs, know that official kernel support and CPU support is not in the OS at all."

What this means is that you will not get SL to work on Ivy unless you hack the kernel.

The whole purpose of the iBoot Ivy is to allow you to access the App store, download Mountain Lion and create your UniBeast USB installer without ever doing the post-install chores like running MultiBeast to install fakesmc and bootloader.

1) Downloaded iBoot for Ivy Bridge 1.0.0
2) Burned to a dual layer 8.5 gb DVD (didn't have anything smaller...)
3) Configured BIOS UEFI according to this guide
--> http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html
4) Disconnected my external graphics card
5) Took out one 8 gb RAM stick (leaving only one 8 gb RAM stick in my MB)
6) Disconnected all other hard drives
7) Rebooted computer with iBoot DVD in the optical drive
8) Put in Mac OS X SL "Retail" DVD
9) Installed Mac OS X SL on computer
10) Turned computer off after installation
11) Plugged everything back in that was disconnected for first time installation
12) Restarted computer and finished the installation

I have yet to play with everything and figure out what does and does not work yet; however after running MultiBeast the first two problems that I am immediately aware of are:
1) The Mac OS X is unable to detect that I am connect to the Ethernet (which I am because I am on the same computer just using Windows at the moment).

2) The operating system is not able to boot from the hard drive (still requires iBoot to be in the drive). It just get stucks at this Mac looking loading screen

Iamjpapz

As to the issues w the network - we need to see if MultiBeast has the kext for the onboard Atheros GbE LAN chip.
Not sure if the MultiBeast for SL was ever updated to this - You maybe able to use the MultiBeast for Lion or ML - and select only that item and system Utilities ( Which need to be selected any time you run Multibeast) to fix permissions etc, and run it ( assuming that the Atheros is selcted in the network section of MultiBeast)

As to the system not booting - from HD - the bootloader in SL is not the same as on the iBoot Ivy Bridge. THis is why you need to use the special iBoot IVY Bridge,
to boot from till you make the Unibeast USB drive

So on a USB thumb drive have the multibeast files - run them and see which one has the Atheros GbE LAN kext and run only that - w system utilities - then reboot w iBoot IB.

If this is not a solution then you will need an network card ( intel or realtc chipsets) you can use in one of the PCI slots - and disable in the bios the internal network connections untill you get the Unibeast THumb Drive -

Also one last idea - if you do find the Atheros GbE LAN chip on the Lion or ML versoin of Multibeast and run it - before reboot - run the SL multibeast and select System Utilities all options again just to be on the safe side .....

Also this iBoot is not designed for new GFX cards so use the onboard chip graphics unless you have a real old GFX like a nVidia 9500
If this is to use SL on a continous basis then this is not the solution for you !

Just an update -- MultiBeast SL, L, & ML do not have the kext for the onboard Atheros GbE LAN chip :(

Thanks for all the help and suggestions thus far!

Iamjpapz

As to the issues w the network - we need to see if MultiBeast has the kext for the onboard Atheros GbE LAN chip.
Not sure if the MultiBeast for SL was ever updated to this - You maybe able to use the MultiBeast for Lion or ML - and select only that item and system Utilities ( Which need to be selected any time you run Multibeast) to fix permissions etc, and run it ( assuming that the Atheros is selcted in the network section of MultiBeast)

As to the system not booting - from HD - the bootloader in SL is not the same as on the iBoot Ivy Bridge. THis is why you need to use the special iBoot IVY Bridge,
to boot from till you make the Unibeast USB drive

So on a USB thumb drive have the multibeast files - run them and see which one has the Atheros GbE LAN kext and run only that - w system utilities - then reboot w iBoot IB.

If this is not a solution then you will need an network card ( intel or realtc chipsets) you can use in one of the PCI slots - and disable in the bios the internal network connections untill you get the Unibeast THumb Drive -

Also one last idea - if you do find the Atheros GbE LAN chip on the Lion or ML versoin of Multibeast and run it - before reboot - run the SL multibeast and select System Utilities all options again just to be on the safe side .....

Also this iBoot is not designed for new GFX cards so use the onboard chip graphics unless you have a real old GFX like a nVidia 9500
If this is to use SL on a continous basis then this is not the solution for you !

Just an update -- MultiBeast SL, L, & ML do not have the kext for the onboard Atheros GbE LAN chip :(

Thanks for all the help and suggestions thus far!

iamjpapz

You may want to look at this link
http://mehigh.biz/hackintosh/mountain-lion-on-gigabyte-ga-z77x-d3h-tutorial.html

It appears that someone has done it w your MotherBoard and if he was able to get it working and we have the same MB in each situation
we should find out what is not working or working for network.

If you are still not able to get the network working - then disable it in the bios ( turn off) and find another network card to use - I think one that fits in either the PCI or PCI-e slot would be ok - Intel card.

And then see how it works.

There's someone that added this piece of information in the comments on my post:
'...got a little bit unlucky and ended up with a REV1.1 board from gigabyte. The REV1.1 board uses the Atheros AR8161 LAN chip that isn’t supported. Ended up buying the TP-Link 4800 card to get online.'

You should check if your board is indeed REV1.0 (the one that I had successfully setup), or it's the newer REV1.1 one, which does not yet have a kext to support the network card.

There's someone that added this piece of information in the comments on my post:
'...got a little bit unlucky and ended up with a REV1.1 board from gigabyte. The REV1.1 board uses the Atheros AR8161 LAN chip that isn’t supported. Ended up buying the TP-Link 4800 card to get online.'

You should check if your board is indeed REV1.0 (the one that I had successfully setup), or it's the newer REV1.1 one, which does not yet have a kext to support the network card.

mehigh & iamjpapz

So we have a double wammy with this version of the GA-Z77X-D3H version 1.1 motherboard - the audio is not supported as its a VIA chipset and the Ethernet is a differnet chip as well AR8161

Thats two strikes....

This is not a good candidate for a Hack them -

But some good news - I found some work being done for this Chip AR8161 over on this site -
And someone has but together a kext for it - can someone test - also you may need to post on this site for some support questions.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/282364-need-driver-for-atheros-ar8161/

Do read the compete list of posts.

Wish I was ... :lol:

Intersting to know that this card is different that the ver 1.0 - so if your versino on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back