Contribute
Register

Trouble booting installer 10.8.0 with ProBook 4440s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to have to backtrace some. It looks like I was booting from the installer that just so happened to still be on the hard drive instead of the usb. At some point those options in the bios got swapped around and I'm not sure where.

I'll retrace my steps and report back.

Update:
Wow, this is tedious :)
So, apparently the right side front usb port is not working at all, doesn't even recognize the drive.
I'd been arbitrarily sticking it in the right side second port back, and that's been seriously messing up everything.
When using the front left port ONLY, the system was booting to a blank screen with a variety of options.
When using the disablegraphics ssdt + the imei ssdt-1 I was able to boot both with and without flags.

Just for fun I decided to boot with no flag (Just -v) with nothing extra in the extra folder...
Low and behold it works?! Do I need to add some flag to make sure I'm clearing any cache?

[update again]
Just double checked including -v -f
It boots every time with the default values that unibeast puts in the plist (pcirootuid=1, ge=yes)
I also noticed that I switched to hybrid csm at some point too, probably during the bios upgrade.
I'll go back and check legacy mode as wel because that's what I started with.

Please keep the post update

There is still many people stuck at [IOBluetoothHCIController Start Completed]

Thanks..

Going to have to backtrace some. It looks like I was booting from the installer that just so happened to still be on the hard drive instead of the usb. At some point those options in the bios got swapped around and I'm not sure where.

I'll retrace my steps and report back.

Update:
Wow, this is tedious :)
So, apparently the right side front usb port is not working at all, doesn't even recognize the drive.
I'd been arbitrarily sticking it in the right side second port back, and that's been seriously messing up everything.
When using the front left port ONLY, the system was booting to a blank screen with a variety of options.
When using the disablegraphics ssdt + the imei ssdt-1 I was able to boot both with and without flags.

Just for fun I decided to boot with no flag (Just -v) with nothing extra in the extra folder...
Low and behold it works?! Do I need to add some flag to make sure I'm clearing any cache?

[update again]
Just double checked including -v -f
It boots every time with the default values that unibeast puts in the plist (pcirootuid=1, ge=yes)
I also noticed that I switched to hybrid csm at some point too, probably during the bios upgrade.
I'll go back and check legacy mode as wel because that's what I started with.

Interesting. So with your Sandy 4x40s, you don't need any flags nor any special /Extra/ssdt*.aml content, just like a ProBook 4x30s?

Interesting. So with your Sandy 4x40s, you don't need any flags nor any special /Extra/ssdt*.aml content, just like a ProBook 4x30s?

nope. Between the combination of flags and wrong usb port it made it worse.
Just to confirm, I'll put in a normal sata drive and test again.
Note that I did swap out the wifi card with the g770, so I should probably try without the card, and with the ralink that came in it originally.

After patching the dsdt, the only thing I notice not working so far is wake on lid open. Haven't really tested the screen brightness sticking between reboots and shutdown either.

nope. Between the combination of flags and wrong usb port it made it worse.
Just to confirm, I'll put in a normal sata drive and test again.

I guess I was confused by what you wrote here:
Low and behold it works?

Care to clarify?

After patching the dsdt, the only thing I notice not working so far is wake on lid open.

Normal for ProBooks... I think even on Windows.

Haven't really tested the screen brightness sticking between reboots and shutdown either.

I'm not sure what the status of screen brightness on 4x40s Ivy, but your's is Sandy so there's a chance it might work just like the 4x30s. But even on the 4x30s, you will not get proper 'brightness restore' unless you install the 'blinkscreen' *and* use Chameleon boot loader (ProBook Installer uses Chimera).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back