Contribute
Register

Trouble booting installer 10.8.0 with ProBook 4440s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, windows runs fine (edit: on the normal seagate hd)
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it. The hard drive is a kingston ssd, that could effect the process right?

This ssd was what I was using in my g770 to run osx, so I know it works.

Yeah, windows runs fine (edit: on the normal seagate hd)

Have you verified this after swapping the CPU?

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it. The hard drive is a kingston ssd, that could effect the process right?

This ssd was what I was using in my g770 to run osx, so I know it works.

HDD/SSD compatibility problems are rare and usually wouldn't show up at this point.
What wireless network card is installed? Reason I ask is because the SSDTs on my repo have injection for ar9285 which could cause a problem if you don't have an ar9285.

I'm still thinking you have a graphics issue, which get sorted out post-install with DSDT patches. The challenge is running the installer before then for which there are two strategies:
- keep graphics drivers from loading, so the system uses a default VESA driver (safe mode, -x, deleting kexts)
- or fix ACPI name space (provide patched DSDT, or SSDTs) to make the proper drivers work during install

It seems that both of those are not working...

Attached is Mini-SSDT.aml w/o the AR9285 patch. If that doesn't work try removing USB's /S/L/E/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.

Attachments

• Mini-SSDT.aml
    131 bytes · Views: 100
Yes, windows works fine with the new processor.

I swapped the wifi card before I started from the Ralink to the AR5B95, which shows up in Windows as the AR9285.
Just for fun, I also tried to boot the ralink. No difference.

At this point, my usb drive has both those kext's removed, and the new ssdt on it with no change in the boot process using -v -x PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No (I like verbose mode. Also tried without safe mode too.)

Are we sure that PCIRootUID should be zero?

Also I just made sure to update my bios to f.40 and try again.
Edit - No dice! Didn't help.

I'm at my wits end here.

Yes, windows works fine with the new processor.

I swapped the wifi card before I started from the Ralink to the AR5B95, which shows up in Windows as the AR9285.
Just for fun, I also tried to boot the ralink. No difference.

So, the SSDT w/ AR9285 shouldn't be giving you a problem.

At this point, my usb drive has both those kext's removed, and the new ssdt on it with no change in the boot process using -v -x PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No (I like verbose mode. Also tried without safe mode too.)

You need both SSDTs if your goal is to try to enable AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext. The IMEI one is required because you have Sandy on 7-series board. And the other one is to enable the correct snb-platform-id for HD3K kext.

Are we sure that PCIRootUID should be zero?

I'm only going by what others have found/reported to work on the 4x40s. You can try PCIRootUID=1 (which happens to be the default) and see what happens.

As far as removing the kexts (I assume you're talking about SNBGraphics/FramebufferCapri): Really the SSDTs is intended to be used with AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB present, as the strategy there is 'try to make the graphics drivers work' whereas without the drivers, is the other strategy 'try to disable the graphics drivers, so you get basic drivers'

You might also try boot flag: "Graphics Mode"=1366x768x32

Also, I'm assuming you made your 10.8.3 Unibeast USB from genuine Mac App Store download...

You need both SSDTs if your goal is to try to enable AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext. The IMEI one is required because you have Sandy on 7-series board. And the other one is to enable the correct snb-platform-id for HD3K kext.
So just to be clear, it loads both ssdt's in order when they're are named ssdt-x, right?

I'm fine with trying to get the computer to boot without any graphics, personally, I'm one to eliminate as many things as possible before trying to fix any.
Reading on some other forums, people have called this getting stuck at the Mac Framework screen a 'classic pci configuration bug'

I'm only going by what others have found/reported to work on the 4x40s. You can try PCIRootUID=1 (which happens to be the default) and see what happens.
I've tried 0,1, ncpi=0x2000, 0x3000, darkwake

Also, I'm assuming you made your 10.8.3 Unibeast USB from genuine Mac App Store download...
Yep, downloaded on a genuine macbook pro, 10.6.8 if that makes a difference, but I don't think it does. Had to run some installer update to get unibeast to install.

Am I like the first person to try a sandy bridge cpu on a 4x40s series or something?

Also, if it's relevant my usb flash drive is 3.0.

So just to be clear, it loads both ssdt's in order when they're are named ssdt-x, right?

Chamelon/Chimera loads SSDT.AML, SSDT-1.AML, SSDT-2.AML, etc until it finds one that doesn't exist, then it stops. So if it doesn't find SSDT.AML, it never attempts SSDT-1.AML and so on. If it finds SSDT.AML it loads it, but then if it doesn't find SSDT-1.AML, then it never attempts SSDT-2.AML and so on.

I'm fine with trying to get the computer to boot without any graphics, personally, I'm one to eliminate as many things as possible before trying to fix any.
Reading on some other forums, people have called this getting stuck at the Mac Framework screen a 'classic pci configuration bug'

I've tried 0,1, ncpi=0x2000, 0x3000, darkwake

Before you were getting further, right? All the way to Bluetooth init?

I still don't understand why the 4x30s boots with PCIRootUID=1 (the default in Unibeast org.chameleon.Boot.plist) and the 4x40s doesn't (reports are that it want's zero).

Yep, downloaded on a genuine macbook pro, 10.6.8 if that makes a difference, but I don't think it does. Had to run some installer update to get unibeast to install.

Sounds good.

Am I like the first person to try a sandy bridge cpu on a 4x40s series or something?

Also, if it's relevant my usb flash drive is 3.0.

You are probably the first to try Sandy Bridge on 4440s. I'm pretty sure there has been both Sandy w/ 4540s and 4740s.

I would generally avoid USB3 devices for this purpose, but I doubt it is related to your problem now.

You might consider extracting your raw DSDT under Linux, patching it with MaciASL, and placing it on your Unibeast USB just to see how far that gets you.

And maybe someone with the hardware in question here can chime in... Probably 4x40s with Sandy CPUs are rare. Most people purchasing this gen of laptop is probably focused on getting an Ivy chip (for HD4K).

You might consider extracting your raw DSDT under Linux, patching it with MaciASL, and placing it on your Unibeast USB just to see how far that gets you.

It was frustrating experience for me as well when I put Sandy Bridge CPU on my 4540S. It never loaded the graphics. I had to put the Ivy CPU back and create DSDT with IMEI patch.

Sorry don't remember more details.

Before you were getting further, right? All the way to Bluetooth init?

I still don't understand why the 4x30s boots with PCIRootUID=1 (the default in Unibeast org.chameleon.Boot.plist) and the 4x40s doesn't (reports are that it want's zero).

And maybe someone with the hardware in question here can chime in... Probably 4x40s with Sandy CPUs are rare. Most people purchasing this gen of laptop is probably focused on getting an Ivy chip (for HD4K).

It was getting to Bluetooth init. I can post which flags get me there and which don't.

I do plan on getting an ivy bridge, but it will be a week or so before it arrives. Would love to see this thing running before then.

Can I extract the dsdt in windows with rw-everything just as effectively? (may not have a Linux district handy, ill have to check)

It was getting to Bluetooth init. I can post which flags get me there and which don't.

I do plan on getting an ivy bridge, but it will be a week or so before it arrives. Would love to see this thing running before then.

You'll need to re-patch your DSDT at that point.

Can I extract the dsdt in windows with rw-everything just as effectively? (may not have a Linux district handy, ill have to check)

Yes you can use RW-Everything. See: https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT

It was frustrating experience for me as well when I put Sandy Bridge CPU on my 4540S. It never loaded the graphics. I had to put the Ivy CPU back and create DSDT with IMEI patch.

Sorry don't remember more details.

It is weird that the IMEI inject via SSDT doesn't work.

But now after trying safe mode on my own ProBook I see why it might not help much. On my 4530s, AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext still loads with "-x". Updates to the screen are slow, but the FB is still active according to About this Mac and in the ioreg.

I wonder if an SSDT that maps the HD3K device-id to one that is *not* supported might work to keep HD3K kext from loading. The one attached maps to to 0x0122 (happens to be unsupported desktop HD3K):

Attachments

• ssdt.aml
    90 bytes · Views: 121
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back