Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hi everyone.
I'm going crazy trying to find out who to believe about enabling or not enabling TRIM on the vertex 3 with sandforce controller...I've been using the drive for a week now witouth enabling trim and everything is super fast. what should i do? I dont want my computer to slow down over time or ruin the ssd.

Some say TRIM is no needed because the Vertex 3 uses sandforce controller and manages GC on its own. Others differ and suggest enabling TRIM even for ssd with sandforce controller.

I'm running Lion 10.7.4 on a GA-Z68XP-UD3 mobo, i7-2700k CPU, 32GB RAM...I think my sandforce firmware is 2.15 but i'm not sure and I can't check right now since I'm at work on my macbook but I'll post that later.

I really hope to find one definite answer for this...the quest begins LOL :clap:

I'm not an expert so take this with a grain of salt - I believe that by enabling TRIM you can avoid the process of moving invalid data around during GC. In other words when your SSD is going about it's GC process it is spreading all the data around the drive to reduce repeated wear on any one block. If you don't enable TRIM teh drive will assume that the "deleted" data is good and will move all this junk invalid data around with your valid data to save wear. By enabling TRIM you actually save data wear because you aren't hauling all this deleted data around the drive with the good data during GC.

Think of it this way - you want to clean your room but instead of taking out the trash and dirty laundry you just start putting your trash and laundry into drawers and closets to make everything tidy. Not good. With the TRIM command you first take out the trash and wash your clothes before putting them back in your drawers.

I would recommend using TRIM. I haven't used a drive without it. Check out
HTML:
http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322
for more information than you could possibly want to know about TRIM Enabler by Oskar Groth. I've used this on my MBP with a 120GB Corsair Force GT for the last year or so. I regularly fill the poor SSD up to nearly 110GB and it never seems to slow down. I'll be honest though, I can't say if it made anything quicker as the drive filled since I used it from the outset...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back