Contribute
Register

[TOOL] [Generate Proper Problem Reporting Files]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attempting to use the tool but running into some difficulty. FWIW, my Downloads folder is on a volume called "New Canaan". This is the terminal output when I run the command.

Hold on for a moment....

/usr/bin/gen_debug: line 328: cd: /Volumes/New: No such file or directory

/usr/bin/gen_debug: line 433: [: /Volumes/New: binary operator expected

Script data directory not present, creating it.

mkdir: /Volumes/New: Permission denied

/usr/bin/gen_debug: line 442: [: /Volumes/New: binary operator expected

EFI Mount Script (RehabMan) not found. Need to fetch it.

Checking connectivity..

Internet connectivity is all good to go.

Downloading EFI Mount script

/usr/bin/gen_debug: line 456: [: /Volumes/New: binary operator expected

Download failed due to some reasons. Try again.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Reinstall.
Code:
sudo curl -o /usr/bin/gen_debug https://raw.githubusercontent.com/black-dragon74/OSX-Debug/master/gen_debug.sh && sudo chmod a+x /usr/bin/gen_debug

Regards

Hi and thank you. I've reinstalled using the commands that you provided, but the results are the same when I attempt to run the script. In the terminal output it looks to me like it's dropping the "Canaan" off of the volume label and that's making it so that it can't find the files that it needs (It reports looking for "New" instead of "New Canaan".) Hmmm.

@singj What OS version are you running? I renamed my volume to a name with spaces and it worked fine for me.

Maybe something is wrong on your side.

P.S: Maybe you could provide me some more troubleshooting info. Like, screenshots and stuff.

Regards

Attempting to use the tool but running into some difficulty. FWIW, my Downloads folder is on a volume called "New Canaan". This is the terminal output when I run the command.

Hold on for a moment....

/usr/bin/gen_debug: line 328: cd: /Volumes/New: No such file or directory

/usr/bin/gen_debug: line 433: [: /Volumes/New: binary operator expected

Script data directory not present, creating it.

mkdir: /Volumes/New: Permission denied

/usr/bin/gen_debug: line 442: [: /Volumes/New: binary operator expected

EFI Mount Script (RehabMan) not found. Need to fetch it.

Checking connectivity..

Internet connectivity is all good to go.

Downloading EFI Mount script

/usr/bin/gen_debug: line 456: [: /Volumes/New: binary operator expected

Download failed due to some reasons. Try again.

Maybe you should upload the actual gen_debug.sh you're using.
Because it seems you might have modified it.

In official script, Line 328 reads:
Code:
       cd $scriptDir

Certainly it would be safer to use "$scriptDir" everywhere, but it is not a concern because of what scriptDir is actually set to in the script.

And we can see how scriptDir is set at line 11:
Code:
scriptDir=~/Library/debugNk

Definitely no spaces there. And definitely not "/Volumes/New Cannaan".

So I suspect you changed the script and created this bug for yourself...

So I suspect you changed the script and created this bug for yourself...

Hi RehabMan and black.dragon74 -

Sorry, RehabMan, but you are giving me *way* too much credit. I'm that guy who tries to follow your directions to the letter, misses something, posts crying about how it didn't work, etc. I know just enough to be a danger to myself and others. LOL. Ironically, I'm trying to use this tool because I need help with another issue. Of course I'm having problems - just me! - with the tool needed to help solve problems!

Anyway, thanks for your time and help. Here's the script I'm running, downloaded (and unmodified) from post #1. As well of screenshots of what I'm seeing as I progress. The way it's representing my volume name in the tools installation screenshot looks wonky to me, but you'll quickly see how little I actually know about scripting and terminal commands. : /

black.dragon74 - it certainly could be something on my end. I just yesterday upgraded to 10.13.6.

Update: In my user folder on New Canaan, I find a new folder/tree named "Canaan" has been created. See screenshot. The last nested folder is empty.

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.31.16 AM.png

Attachments

• install_tools.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.29.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.29.14 AM.png
    38 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.31.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.31.44 AM.png
    136.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.42.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.42.49 AM.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.52.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.52.04 AM.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Sorry to reply to myself. RehabMan, I'd like to send you the actual script but I'm not sure how to access it at the location that it was downloaded to by the installation script. See, I told you I'm that guy. Updated my last post with another bit of strangeness with accompanying screenshot.

Hi RehabMan and black.dragon74 -

Sorry, RehabMan, but you are giving me *way* too much credit. I'm that guy who tries to follow your directions to the letter, misses something, posts crying about how it didn't work, etc. I know just enough to be a danger to myself and others. LOL. Ironically, I'm trying to use this tool because I need help with another issue. Of course I'm having problems - just me! - with the tool needed to help solve problems!

Anyway, thanks for your time and help. Here's the script I'm running, downloaded (and unmodified) from post #1. As well of screenshots of what I'm seeing as I progress. The way it's representing my volume name in the tools installation screenshot looks wonky to me, but you'll quickly see how little I actually know about scripting and terminal commands. : /

black.dragon74 - it certainly could be something on my end. I just yesterday upgraded to 10.13.6.

Update: In my user folder on New Canaan, I find a new folder/tree named "Canaan" has been created. See screenshot. The last nested folder is empty.

View attachment 340740
Sorry to reply to myself. RehabMan, I'd like to send you the actual script but I'm not sure how to access it at the location that it was downloaded to by the installation script. See, I told you I'm that guy. Updated my last post with another bit of strangeness with accompanying screenshot.

If you don't want to debug the script (or provide info that could help the author fix it), perhaps you should rename your system volume such that it doesn't have a space in it.
(spaces in your system volume name are a great way to cause problems, and nothing more).

Note: I never use install_tools.sh... I just use 'git clone' to get a copy of the project, then run the script directly from my working copy.

If you don't want to debug the script (or provide info that could help the author fix it), perhaps you should rename your system volume such that it doesn't have a space in it.
(spaces in your system volume name are a great way to cause problems, and nothing more).

Note: I never use install_tools.sh... I just use 'git clone' to get a copy of the project, then run the script directly from my working copy.

Edit: original message was too angsty.

I cloned the script from GitHub and have attached the exact script that I'm using.
I tried changing the System and User drive names to omit the space, then ran the script. This created several issues outside of the script (things generally freaking out because they couldn't be found at the correct location, such as Dropbox), but I pressed on. I ran the script which produced some different errors; specifically it didn't seem to have permission to create any of the files or folders that it was trying to download / create. Maybe this is to be expected, as I immediately couldn't even save screenshots from Terminal or Xcode to the desktop due to messed up permissions.

Changed the drive names back. I don't doubt that what you say is true; maybe Apple shouldn't be using "Macintosh HD" as the standard system drive name on all of its installs? It certainly bred bad habits in me as a casual user.

Debug the script. Provide helpful information to the script author. OK - at least you are pushing me to expand my horizons a bit here. I don't know what information I can provide to the author that I haven't already that might be helpful; perhaps you could offer a suggestion? I would like to help if I am able. Debugging. Well, the script complains at line 456 that it is expecting a binary operator here.

Code:
    if [ -e $efiScript ];

But it's not finding it? It's looking for your script at
~/Library/debugNk/mount_efi.sh

But at each step, it's having trouble locating that specific location. I'm asking honestly as someone who's trying to learn. Can I replace $efiScript with a location of my choosing and see if things work? Am I likely to bork my system?

Attachments

• OSX-Debug-master.zip
    316.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back