Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Skylake Thunderbolt 3 Test Build: GA-Z170X-UD5-TH - i5-6600K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have an answer for @mljohn?

My Hack is working great right now, except for TB. If I have to limp along without TB until I find out if Apple is going to go back to making proper computers again, that's okay, but I'd really rather not break this thing now, because it's been a delight since I got it all working...

@mljohn? Did you get it working again?

Does anyone have an answer for @mljohn?

My Hack is working great right now, except for TB. If I have to limp along without TB until I find out if Apple is going to go back to making proper computers again, that's okay, but I'd really rather not break this thing now, because it's been a delight since I got it all working...

@mljohn? Did you get it working again?

I did. And TB is working as well. I wish I could post a step by step of how it went, but I tried so many different things I'm not sure at this point what it was that made it all work. I think that what got TB working was some BIOS settings. When I updated the MB to F21 the options were different that most screen shots I found. Through a little trial and error I somehow got all the planets to align and TB is working. All that finally happened the other night. I haven't had enough time yet to really kick the tires and make sure it's all OK. When I do I will let you know.

I did. And TB is working as well. I wish I could post a step by step of how it went, but I tried so many different things I'm not sure at this point what it was that made it all work. I think that what got TB working was some BIOS settings. When I updated the MB to F21 the options were different that most screen shots I found. Through a little trial and error I somehow got all the planets to align and TB is working. All that finally happened the other night. I haven't had enough time yet to really kick the tires and make sure it's all OK. When I do I will let you know.

And just like that the TB stopped working..........back to tweeking BIOS settings

And just like that the TB stopped working..........back to tweeking BIOS settings

Heheh, well, I decided to just leave well enough alone. I am crossing my fingers that the next Mac Pro will be something like a Mac Pro again, and I can go back to being a supported user. I only have one Thunderbolt peripheral, and it's noisy as hell and I hate it anyway.

After about a month of use, TB is still inconsistent. The external TB drive will mount @ 8 times out of 10. When it won't mount, there is not much I can do to get it to work except reset the cables and keep restarting. Sometimes 2-3 times will work, other times I just have to wait it out and try another day. I don't know how to go about fixing it?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
I just got Thunderbolt to work on my build after all this time. The crazy thing is that I only changed one setting. In the BIOS, I moved the Thunderbolt I/O from zero to 8. The other settings are Unique ID, Ignore Thunderbolt Option ROM, and that's it.

I also booted into my Windows 10 drive and went into device management in order to go through the PCIE, USB, Thunderbolt etc. -right clicked and then updated as many parts that would run an update. I was surprised that everything from my the PCIE bridges to my ATI Radeon card actually had newer firmware.

When I booted back into El Capitan......My CalDigit Thunderbolt 2 dock was visible and the usb drive that was plugged into it was mounted and visible and I can even HOTSWAP!!!

There was only one issue. I attempted to daisy chain more Thunderbolt devices through the CalDigit dock and when you do that, it stops working.

GA-Z87x-UD7-th (rev. 2.0)
Intel Core i7 4771 LGA 1150
ATI Radeon HD
Other Hardware:
OWC 480 GB Mercury SSD [El Capitan osX]
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
1 TB [internal for separate file storage]
1 TB [Windows]
2 TB Seagate Backup Plus Thunderbolt
32 Gb G.Skillz Sniper 2400 mhz ddr3

I just got Thunderbolt to work on my build after all this time. The crazy thing is that I only changed one setting. In the BIOS, I moved the Thunderbolt I/O from zero to 8. The other settings are Unique ID, Ignore Thunderbolt Option ROM, and that's it.
The user manual does not describe the Thunderbolt BIOS options. Can you post a screen shot?

When I booted back into El Capitan......My CalDigit Thunderbolt 2 dock was visible and the usb drive that was plugged into it was mounted and visible and I can even HOTSWAP!!!

USB devices are alway hot swappable.

There was only one issue. I attempted to daisy chain more Thunderbolt devices through the CalDigit dock and when you do that, it stops working.
Thunderbolt devices are not usually hot swappable with macOS on Hackintosh (I'm not sure about Thunderbolt 2 though). If you can get it to work in Windows, then it should work in macOS after a restart. If it doesn't work in Windows then it is a hardware limitation of your PC (lack of PCIe resources). The user manual says "Because of the limited I/O resources of the PC architecture, the number of Thunderbolt devices that can be used is dependent on the number of the PCI Express and PCI devices being installed. Each Thunderbolt port can daisy chain about three devices. To connect more Thunderbolt devices, adjust the settings under Peripherals\Intel(R) Thunderbolt in BIOS Setup."

The Thunderbolt 2 devices are completely hot swappable in Windows. I can plug and unplug the dock and my Seagate Thunderbolt Drive. On the osX side, I can use one Thunderbolt device at a time.

The Thunderbolt 2 devices are completely hot swappable in Windows. I can plug and unplug the dock and my Seagate Thunderbolt Drive. On the osX side, I can use one Thunderbolt device at a time.
It's not clear if you're chaining the devices together or using separate ports.
There's a few variations to try:
A) Port 1: dock, drive
B) Port 2: dock, drive
C) Port 1: drive, dock
D) Port 2: drive, dock
E) Port 1: dock, Port 2: drive
F) Port 1: drive, Port 2: dock

For each variation:
1) make the connections before starting the computer.
2) start into Windows to see if the devices are listed in the Device Manager and work.
3) restart into macOS to see if the devices are listed in IORegistryExplorer2.1.app and work.
4) shutdown and start the next variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back